Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Award Ticket ->mechanical -> reroute in F ->Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2001, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

If one is flying on an award ticket, and due to a mechanical problem and a misconnect is rerouted in F (not R)... should the miles post? When I've flown in Y and gotten re-routed in F, I've received the 50% F mileage bonus as though I purchased the F ticket. Would the same thing not apply here? Or does the fact that the record shows the original FOP as 'free' override all other parameters?
Old May 29, 2001, 12:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
Normaly, the miles should go on your account;
The same situation occurs when you are rerouted on an another metal: you get miles for both, the original ticket and the rerouted segment.
That's the good side ...of the bad situation...
But have a look at your account, you may have to push hard to get the miles
Old May 29, 2001, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by felis:
Normaly, the miles should go on your account ... you may have to push hard to get the miles
See, that's just it...I understand the deal I made when I traded in miles for travel...i.e. no mileage accrual. However, on the other hand, since it's likely the computer that's handling it, I was wondering how much interest I should maintain in waiting for the miles to post. I'd happily get a human involved, even if it's a slightly uphill battle, but not if it's me versus a giant brick Simply Good wall.

For the record, the mechanical led to an overnight in a connecting city, for which I did not request a hotel voucher (stayed with a friend). So we're likely talking about $80 worth of miles (including bonuses, etc), versus whatever the going rate for transportation voucher+hotel voucher is. Then again...didn't I recently read something about explicit rules for compensation in such cases? I'd much rather have a $400 travel voucher than the miles
Old May 29, 2001, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

If you were going to get the miles, they would be in your account already. I am assuming you have already checked that and they are not there. Big assumption I guess.

The fact that you have gotten a bonus when rerouted and 'forced' into first has nothing to do with this. Those miles are only a result of the system not being able to identify that you were on a coach ticket and forced into First. Take those bonus miles and say "Thank You". Said again, the extra miles are not due to reroute, but to system glitch.

As to not getting your flight and now wanting miles, no way. No different than if you were on a coach ticket, and rerouted the next day. They would not give you miles for both flights, would they?

As to the note about going on another airline and getting miles in both. Again, different issue. DL gives you miles because you booked and paid for ticket with them. And, as good will, still give you the miles even when they stick you on another airline.

The other airline does not care about DL. You flew with them with a paid ticket so they give you miles. Two different airlines. Two differnt accounts.

Old May 29, 2001, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by NoStressHere:

If you were going to get the miles, they would be in your account already. I am assuming you have already checked that and they are not there. Big assumption I guess.

Correct assumption, regardless of its size.

The fact that you have gotten a bonus when rerouted and 'forced' into first has nothing to do with this.

Interesting interpretation of 'When I've flown in Y and gotten re-routed in F'.....Poor grammar, yes, but no mention of force.

Those miles are only a result of the system not being able to identify that you were on a coach ticket and forced into First. Take those bonus miles and say "Thank You". Said again, the extra miles are not due to reroute, but to system glitch.

Exaaaaactly. Hence my original question. What is the operational distinction between Y-->F rerouting and R-->F reruoting. Is it the 'orig FOP'? That's my hypothesis. Anybody have any actual knowledge on the subject?

[This message has been edited by biometrist (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old May 29, 2001, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

By using the term "Force", I was referring to the agent forcing you into F class, even though you had not paid, etc. By bypassing normal procedures, the system thinks you are a paying first class passenger.
Old May 29, 2001, 7:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Yes, but on the award ticket boarding passes I have seen there is a line just beside or beneath the Skymiles status line that says "NO FF CREDIT". I would suspect this is placed there just for these type situations, perhaps as an entry which overrides everything else and avoids granting credit. I really don't know the answer here, just speculating.

I would look at the boarding pass for the flights rebooked in F from R to see if the "NO FF CREDIT" tag appears. If it doesn't I would think miles would post.
Old May 29, 2001, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The big question:

Did the coach miles post to your account?
and
Did the Class of service bonus post to your account?

[This message has been edited by NoStressHere (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old May 29, 2001, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by NoStressHere:
The big question: Did the coach miles post to your account? and Did the Class of service bonus post to your account?

Nope, and Nope. Or is that Simply Nope? With regard to the boarding pass...it's actually kind of interesting. When they rebooked me at the gate after the misconnect, I took it for granted that I was rebooked in F. I went to the CRC and checked, and for the two segments in question, I was booked in F and A respectively. I slept for the four hours or so I could, and then returned to the airport for the morning flight (this morning, as a matter of fact). When I checked in the agent was nice, smiled, and handed me the boarding passes. As I walked away from the checkout counter, I noticed that the boarding passes had been rebooked in R. I went back, and with a smile asked whether she had rebooked me on purpose. She gave me another wan smile and nodded the affirmative. I humbly asked her whether she'd mind rebooking me in F again, and she indicated that she understood (my motivation for wanting a paid fare class). She tried a few times to print boarding passes, and each time they said F class, but had the ** NO FF CREDIT** lable on them. Eventually she was able to print boarding passes that did not bear that disheartening phrase. She handed them to me with a wink and her wishes for a safe journey.

Nevertheless, I did not look upon the miles as an entitlement, but rather was wondering whether they would post, given the precedent of the Y to F reroute mileage phenomenon.

I guess not. That's okay. I got out of this weekend exactly what I expected to: Round trip first class travel to and from my destination. The mechanical delay and lost night was a bummer, but I guess that's just the way it goes .

{edited to fix typo}

[This message has been edited by biometrist (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old May 29, 2001, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry you did not get any "bonus" miles. Oh well.

As to finally getting a boarding pass without that "NO FF CREDIT". Maybe she found a secret key that works like a Virtual Whiteout (remember that stuff in the bottle?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.