Wiki Posts
Search

Delta quietly increases change fee to $100 too

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2001, 12:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Delta quietly increases change fee to $100 too

I was just viewing domestic flights on Travelocity and clicked on rules: DL has followed CO and UA and increased its "administrative fee" for changing tickets.

However, Uncle Leo has agreed that next time he cancels a passenger's flights and reschedules them, he will be more than happy to give them $100. After all, simple good business is all about a little give and take ...
Old Jan 28, 2001, 1:52 pm

I can't understand why DL hasn't touted this latest "enhancement." After all, we asked for it...didn't we?

[This message has been edited by mhbaker (edited 01-28-2001).]
Old Jan 28, 2001, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I am furious!!! I spend mostly my own money to get my PM status, and this is the way they reward me for my loyalty? Who pays me when they cancel a flight? Who pays me when they delay a flight 3 hours (I've never received a voucher in the mail, unlike a lot on FT). I'm livid.

Leroy, Do we have more concrete proof or URL's to go to ?
Old Jan 28, 2001, 3:07 pm
Original Member

predictable.
Old Jan 28, 2001, 3:09 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Interesting... travelocity.com lists the 100 USD, delta.com 75 USD.
Old Jan 29, 2001, 4:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Originally posted by rcs85551:
Interesting... travelocity.com lists the 100 USD, delta.com 75 USD.
I had to rebook an itinerary yesterday afternoon. I was charged US$75 when I called SMS.
Old Jan 29, 2001, 5:10 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I made a reservation yesterday and ticketed it over the phone. The agent advised the change fee was 75.00

TW
Old Jan 29, 2001, 7:06 am

Programs: DL PLAT / HH GOLD
Effective 1/29 $100.00 for changing reservations
Old Jan 29, 2001, 7:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It's all about "being competitive"...

Higher fares? Let's "compete" and raise ours too.

Higher fees? Let's "compete" and raise ours too.

Restrictive benefits? Let's "compete" and restrict ours too. Gee, why don't we *Really* compete and make our upgrades really restrictive? (L/U, international)

Other airlines are increasing pitch? We're not going to compete there!

Other airlines don't use commuter aircraft on business routes? We're not going to compete there!

Other alliances have their act together as far as partners' understanding and applying benefits to their customers? We sure as #%@$ aren't going to compete there!!!

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 01-29-2001).]
Old Jan 29, 2001, 8:59 am

I am always amazed at the speed with which this company moves to increase fees and prices. They are lightening quick in the name of competition.

however in the areas of real customer service they are are a bit more reserved. ATM Kiosks?..they still need studying for this customer driven item. This weekend it was announced in the news that they are going to thinner seats to "increase personal space". The pitch won't be incrreased, the legroom won't be increased, just the thickness of the seat. I know one thing, when they come out with customer service initiatives, it rarely has anything to do with the customer. Customers to Leo and company are a nusance.

Customer service to DELTA is changing the color scheme on their jets.
Old Jan 29, 2001, 3:55 pm

Change fee movement to $100 is legit. I hit it today. Thankfully my switch actually *saved* me money. Agent claimed DL was the last to up the fee. Since I've only flown US and WN in the last few months - it was $75 with US lat time I checked.

They make a ton of money off me on the change fee. If everyone else is at $100 i'm not going to jump on DL just because everything else they've done is stupid...but then again - their press t'aint been good lately.

Agent was courteous as they always seem to be.

-G
Old Jan 29, 2001, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I don't get it. It takes them maybe 5 minutes to change the flight. Not sure why it is so long, but let's call it 5 minutes.

So, at 12 per hour, that comes out to $1200 per hour for their time. And Delta is having trouble with $300 an hour pilot pay?!

This does not make sense.

And, if Delta CHANGES my flight because they can not find a crew, or they cancel the flight, or.... they don't have to give me anything. But if you or I get stuck in traffic, oversleep, in a meeting, or just have a change in travel plans, WHAM - $100. I just don't get it.

Old Jan 29, 2001, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Well, gee.

First of all, I do not disagree with any of the above posts. I'd just like to include another perspective on it...

Most of my changes come as a result of company/client needs. As such, it is the company/client who ultimately winds up paying for them. So, basically, I don't care in these circumstances.

For personal travel, when I buy a nonrefundable ticket, I understand that it is a forever good, no-changes and no refunds allowed ticket. The fact that for a hefty fee I CAN change it, is nothing but a bonus to me. If I need flexibility, I buy a full fare. If I want to take a chance on saving money versus losing it all, that is my option. And I would not quibble with that. That Delta, and others, do give me an option, is adding value to the ticket, IMHO.

YES, the fees are large and getting larger. But for the money saved, it is worth the risk to me, especially when there is a "lifeline" even though it costs $$.
Old Jan 29, 2001, 5:28 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
If airlines need more money, they should raise the fare. The change fee should represent the real cost of changing a ticket, which is much less than $75 for a paper ticket, and practically zero for an E-ticket.

It is unfair to charge an outrageous amount of money to change a ticket, because usually people change tickets because they HAVE to, not because they chose a return date at random to begin with.

The same principle applies to charging an outrageous amount of money for buying a ticket at the last minute, or not staying over Saturday night, or flying one way, or flying to a hub. The $100 change fee is more of the same. Enough already!
Old Jan 29, 2001, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

What a businessman. I hope you never work for my company. Bill em, screw em, not my money! Yikes!

Originally posted by hnechets:
Well, gee.

First of all, I do not disagree with any of the above posts. I'd just like to include another perspective on it...

Most of my changes come as a result of company/client needs. As such, it is the company/client who ultimately winds up paying for them. So, basically, I don't care in these circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.