Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Air Lines Rant and Whine Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2001, 8:29 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Lord knows I've been critical of Delta lately, but in this case I'd have to side with the Deltoids. It is inconsistent to say that one never wants to fly a carrier again, yet beg for a refund as a way of getting one to fly that carrier again.

Either you would consider flying the carrier again (in which case the travel voucher should be useful) or else you would not consider flying the carrier again, in which case it makes no sense to argue for a refund as a way of getting your business back -- since by definition there is no way in the world your business is coming back, refund or not. (Would you really decide to come back to an airline you've abandoned because of a $100 refund??).

With regard to the DFW Delta agent on the phone, if I were the agent and you were ranting at me I would probably hang up. Had she misquoted policy or made an error, I could understand frustration and anger directed at her. But if you're coming across from the beginning as some angry passenger who is never going to fly her airline again regardless, I just don't think that merits much respect in the first place. In fact, it is this type behavior that gives the rest of us a bad name. Just my two cents worth . . .
Old Jan 25, 2001, 8:38 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Notwithstanding the attitude of the agent (which may be in fault, it's hard to say that from a one-sided account), and assuming your original ticket was non-refundable if Delta offered the whole difference as a voucher that is the limit of what I'd expect with any airline.

As per being the world's worst airline, DL has got a lot of competition on that
Old Jan 25, 2001, 8:39 am

It wounds like you knowingly bought a 14 day non-refundable restricted fare and expect them to waive all of that just for you.

If you wanted flexibility, you should have bought a Y fare.

I can't see that any other airline would treat you any different. The offer of the voucher was quite generous IMHO.

There are plenty of reasons to be down on DL, this is not one of them IMHO.

Originally posted by AdamLangley:
Looks to me like Simply Good Business is alive and well...

After being a Gold Medallion for three years now, I made the decision in December not to fly DL any more. (By the way, my loyalty and money now goes to UA... and so far I LOVE it!)

As luck would have it, a colleague of mine booked a flight on DL and because of scheduling and other issues, it was vital that we be on the same flight. So, I reluctantly booked a ticket on DL for the same flights for a fare of $522 (14 days in advance).

Today, seven days in advance, the fare for the exact same flights has decreased to $415. I should not have done what I did next... I should definitely know better. I picked up the phone and called Special Member Services and had the audacity to ask for a refund! I was curtly told that I could have a voucher (which does me no good if I never intend to fly DL again) or I could have a partial refund but only after I paid $75. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know those are the rules. But I thought after hearing my decision, DL might just see this as a golden opportunity to win back a very loyal customer. I was giving them too much credit.

Not liking the original answer, I asked to speak a "Customer No-Care" representative and was transferred to Sharon in DFW Customer Care - a real DL loser! Sharon again in her best Deltoid Robotic voice reiterated the policy to me. I then tried to appeal to her "care" for customers and tried to point out what an opportunity this was for DL.

So then I asked to speak to HER supervisor. She says she doesn't have one! I then made a comment that offended her... I told her that if enough of us walk from DL, folks like her would lose their jobs and maybe then they might CARE! She then said, "I have nothing more to say. I will put you on hold until you decide to hang up."

I stayed on hold and got my other phone and called and spoke with a Customer No-Care Coordinator named Pam Morgan in LAX - very professional, but still a Deltoid. Sharon eventually did hang up on me and Pam will forward my complaint to the DFW management. I will say a little prayer that Sharon does not have a job after tomorrow.

I got the same message from all three folks... those are the rules, no favors, no exeptions, no waivers. Simply Good Business is very much still in effect!

They completely re-inforced my decision not to ever fly DL again.

I think it is ridiculous that I get penalized if the fare goes down. I could probably even live with the rules if they weren't enforced with such Nazi-like vengance.

So, no refund for me. I'll raise as big a ruckus as I can on the plane next Thursday and commisserate with all the other fellow Medallions.

I'll send copies of my UA itineraries to Vicki and Leo... I am more commited than ever to never go back to DL... they will hit rock bottom eventually.

Why is DL so dedicated to sucking?!!?
Old Jan 25, 2001, 11:34 am

I must concur with Robert Leach.

As for the worst airline, Maybe PIA will take your $107 voucher from DL. Try them out.

Old Jan 25, 2001, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Adam, you're being unreasonable. You missed out on all the compensation you were entitled to because you thought DL ought to bend the fare rules on your behalf. Now you have nothing and you're madder than ever.

No airline is going to routinely pay you the cash difference when your tariff goes down after booking. Not every airline offers you a voucher, either. You should have taken it. Give it to your parents or something if you don't want to fly DL anymore.

I concur with those who point out that you pay for flexibility by buying a Y fare.
Old Jan 25, 2001, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
To coin a phrase, "We can't have our cake and eat it too."
Old Jan 25, 2001, 5:07 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
AdamLangley isn't a once-a-year flyer. If he were, we would be rightfully laughing at his insistence on a partial refund due to fare decrease.

But, IMHO, any non-discount airline that charges $75 for a fare decrease refund to an elite flyer is asking for trouble. Isn't that the whole point of flying primarily one airline?

However, I do agree that persuing this matter further implies you really aren't going to leave Delta. And Delta knows that.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old Jan 25, 2001, 5:49 pm

Boy, it sounds like you guys have really fallen for the brainwashing DL has dished out to you.

It sounds an awful lot like "No, Mr. Langley, you cannot have a partial refund even though we would sell the ticket to you today for much cheaper than you paid. Why? Because our customers have asked that we screw you as often as possible." And with all of your comments, we wonder why DL continues to use that line?

For all of you who think I was unreasonable: I spoke with Sharon's supervisor today. She will be dealt with. And, I got my $107 refund!!!

AND I'LL STILL NEVER FLY DL AGAIN!

Na-na-na-na-na.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 3:07 am

Adam,

Considering your attitude and the way you treat people, I think DL will be happy to have you gone. You really need to grow up and realize there is more to life than a frequent flyer program. If you are that obsessed about spiting a stupid airline than you really need to get a life.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Langley,
so folks were right, you never meant to fly Delta again in the first place. So maybe now that they got rid of you, I can start flying them again!
hopefully you'll have a good last flight next week and not spoil it for other passengers by making that ruckus you were intending to.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Langley,
so folks were right, you never meant to fly Delta again in the first place. So maybe now that they got rid of you, I can start flying them again!
hopefully you'll have a good last flight next week and not spoil it for other passengers by making that ruckus you were intending to.
(look at me!! here i am defending Delta!!!)
Old Jan 26, 2001, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
The headline of this read promted my reading thru. I really don't have a comment, other than to add my voice with the majority view.

The guy that started this thread sounds inpossible, to be polite.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 10:10 pm

I'm a customer service manager for a large, nationwide company. The CSR's in my office receive daily requests, from customers, for "exceptions" to be made. Sometimes those requests are granted and sometimes they are not. In this particular case, this individual probably called with his sour- attitude and basically got what he deserved. I'm not defending nor do I endorse rudeness on the part of a CSR. I do, however, know that initial hostility on the customer's part will most likely result in no exception being made.

[This message has been edited by FlagshipService (edited 01-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FlagshipService (edited 01-26-2001).]
Old Mar 15, 2001, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
come on now, stop whining already!

I mean no offense, and if offense is given I apologize. I always swore not to be one of those posters complaining about others' posts, but I can't stand it no more! If you don't like Delta, then why do you still fly on them?!?!? It's not like a marriage where it's difficult or immoral to get out of the relationship. Just take your money and go to another airline. I mean I can't even avoid the whining by skipping topics, as EVERY topic has posts from certain people whining and complaining. Some of us (well, at least one, me) are reasonably happy with DL service, as it is better than anyone else out there (in my opinion, from what I have experienced). If you dislike it, then speak with your wallet and go to another airline to be treated badly, at least as badly as on DL. Don't be a slave to the FF program, because that is exactly why they developed FF programs. You play right into their hands by saying you hate them but still fly because you are PM or whatever. Just go build status somewhere else and get on with your lives. There's a whole slate of airlines to choose from, even if you live in a "fortress" hub. You may have to connect, but that's really not the end of the world, and it's easier to build status on the other guy.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I like to believe -- maybe delusionally -- that I provide constructive criticism, not whining. Many of us hope that Delta will reconsider some of the decisions that have made us unhappy -- the Simply Good Business environment, primarily -- and changes seem to have occurred, actually. On the other hand, I have always stated that Delta does its primary job very well: carrying people from one place to another safely and generally timely.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.