Search

SWU Deadlines for Earning?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2000, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: GM, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold
SWU Deadlines for Earning?

I've forgotten the SWU scheduling.

I know deadline for use (unless saveskymiles succeeds in getting them to relent) is Feb 2002. What I don't recall is what the rules are for earning them, in terms of when they stop awarding them. Was it 20,000 miles or was it earning Medallion status? If one earns Medallion status for 2001 by flying sufficiently in 2000, and the SWU doesn't show up until April, say, of 2001, then it still expires in Feb of 2002? Or if the award threshold is 20,000 miles, then how long after 20,000 miles does the SWU show up?

Old Dec 30, 2000, 12:53 pm
Original Member

You will earn SWUs for base miles earned up to and including 28th February, 2001. The SWU is valid for ticketing for 12 months from the date of issue.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally posted by Owen:
What I don't recall is what the rules are for earning them, in terms of when they stop awarding them. Was it 20,000 miles or was it earning Medallion status?
The 20K count starts the very first time you qualify as an Elite member. It continually rolls over independent of the calendar, i.e. if you became an elite three years ago and have maintained elite, the 20K baseline started three years ago, and has continuously rolled over.
The only way to check is to keep track of it carefully or ask DL, they will tell you where you stand on the 20K SWU ticker.
If one earns Medallion status for 2001 by flying sufficiently in 2000, and the SWU doesn't show up until April, say, of 2001, then it still expires in Feb of 2002?
It shouldn't take that long.
Or if the award threshold is 20,000 miles, then how long after 20,000 miles does the
SWU show up?
I had been tracking this since the new announcements. I passed the threshold on 11 DEC. The awards
were in my PO box on 22 DEC, but I had been on the road for the week, so likely arrived earlier. BTW They were dated 29 DEC.

Old Dec 31, 2000, 8:32 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I believe that as part of the new rules the clock will reset to zero at midnight tonight. I will be 2500 shy of another SWU and another 4 800 mile segment upgrades at 11:59PM tonight. Under the old system I would have reached the 20K/10K level in mid January. Another overlooked drawback of the new rules.

Happy New Year Delta!

TW
Old Dec 31, 2000, 1:05 pm

TW, I called DL months ago and was told the clock did NOT reset tonight for earning SWU's. I explained that I might be about 2K miles short at the end of the year and was told that I would still have until 2/28/01 to complete those 2K miles and be awarded the SWU's. As it happened I did 2 mileage runs to secure GM status and I got the miles for the SWU's on Thursday, so I expect they are coming. If you have a problem getting yours, I'd be happy to testify to what I was told. And I'm pretty sure I posted the info on FT when I called, but don't have time to search it out at the moment.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 3:00 pm

Originally posted by Tolarian Wind:
I believe that as part of the new rules the clock will reset to zero at midnight tonight.
That is true in the future for the new NAMU. Don't think it applies to SWU.

Old Dec 31, 2000, 3:17 pm

I've just about given up on trying to understand these jokers. I am about 1,500 miles *short* of earning more SWUs, and two totally unexpected ones showed up in my mailbox last week, dated December 29th.

<shrug> Thanks for thinking of me, Uncle Leo.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 3:23 pm

Well, I hope we're right, as I was told by Delta, that the clock does not reset tonight for the SWU's. I just did some calculations and I'm 485 miles from them, so I won't get those miles til next week. They better give me my SWU's!
Old Dec 31, 2000, 4:59 pm
Original Member

It would be perverse even for Delta to allow SWU accrual up to February 28th but to reset the clock on 1 January.

That said, am I right in thinking that all base miles earned between tomorrow and Feb 28 will count towards both SWUs and NAMUs?
Old Dec 31, 2000, 11:19 pm

Originally posted by james:
...am I right in thinking that all base miles earned between tomorrow and Feb 28 will count towards both SWUs and NAMUs?
It would appear so. The new rules for NAMUs indicate
Beginning January 1, 2001, Delta will introduce two new upgrade benefits for Medallion™ members:

Members who reach 40,000 base miles in the calendar year will earn two one-way North American Medallion Upgrade Certificates. Medallion members will receive two more one-way North American Medallion Upgrade Certificates for each additional 20,000 base miles flown within the same calendar year.
Seems DL is making the tracking easier by using the exisitng YTD Base miles counter.

Old Jan 1, 2001, 9:11 am

I haven't kept track of miles for SWU purposes; if you call DL can they tell you how many miles are needed to qualify for another SWU prior to the 2/28 cutoff?
Old Jan 1, 2001, 9:57 am

Mhbaker, they can tell you how close you are to earning more 800-MSU points (every 10,000 actual miles) and SWUs (every 20K actual). Sometimes you'll get an agent who either does not know how to retrieve the info or does not want to do it (I had one TA rudely tell me that there was "no such thing" as a SWU). If that happens, keep calling back until you get one who can (and will) answer the question for you.
Old Jan 1, 2001, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/001929.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.