Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Earn Silver Medallion or Gold Medallion "faster than ever"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2000, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Received the following at work today:

Fly 6 qaulifying segments between October 15, 2000 and December 15, 2000 and achieve Silver Medallion status.

Fly 12 qualifying segments between October 15, 2000 and December 15, 2000 and achieve Gold Medallion status.

Medallion status will be valid "through 2001" (does that mean "until 12/31/00" or "until 12/31/01"???).

Call 1-888-558-3358, have your skymiles number ready, and enter promotion code 1481. If you're not already a skymiles member call 1-800-323-2323 or log on to www.delta.com to join first.

"This offer is nontransferable and may be used only by the person named in this mailing"

Of course I'm already Gold Medallion so this is a silly promotion for me - not sure what mailing list they grabbed my name from. But I don't see anything personal about this mailing, and the promotion code is typeset along with the rest of the text.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 10:55 am

Does the card define what a 'qualifing segment' is - or is there a link to a website for the details.

It seams that 6 segments could be achieved by taking one round trip if one planned carefully.

Old Oct 12, 2000, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

"a qualifying segment is one Delta or Delta Connection flight, with travel taken on one flight number between a city pair on any given day and with the purchase of a fare that is eligible for frequent flyer muleage credit"

The only other small print is that you must register before flying flight segments that count toward the required number of segments.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 12:33 pm

I received this promotion on Delta as well. I currently have no status with them, and only a few miles earned this year (some ATL flights and a couple Air France segs). I'm also in Boston, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the target group.

I have full intention to take advantage of this offer, and if I am impressed with Delta, I'll try to requalify next year. I only wish they have a mileage qualification too, but segments is good enough.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
It sounds like Delta is trying to replace those of us who bolted because of the SWUs and other problems.
Wonderful plan- destroy loyalty in the long time loyal flyers, then replace them with flyers with no prior loyalty.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 1:03 pm

Is a segment, one complete flight? Or if I fly from PNS to LGA thru ATL and return, receive 4 segments. Or is this one segment?
Old Oct 12, 2000, 1:28 pm

I called Delta and they said that "only those who received the letter with the phone number and promotion code are eligible". They also said that the letters were mailed out 10/10/00 from Atlanta.
I called to enroll anyhow since I'll be taking a few flights before Dec.

Does anyone know if their automated promotion line can discern(by Skymiles number) who received certain promotions via snailmail?
Old Oct 12, 2000, 2:12 pm
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Thanks BeantownFlyer! Didn't get the card (yet?) but registered anyway. Maybe it'll stop me bolting to US Shuttle next year if UA buys it.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 2:52 pm

Delta has done this kind of thing for years. In the past status was valid until the end of the following year, which would be 12/2001 this year. And, they have a computer somewhere that keeps track of who's eligible.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 3:38 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally posted by neverhome:
Delta has done this kind of thing for years.
...and made those of us who have flown all year long for our status scratch our heads. Last year, all I did was fly 93 segments for Gold when others had to fly 12 over a 2 month period for the same level.

Old Oct 12, 2000, 9:14 pm

lofly...your example is 4 segments, not 1.

And yes, these kind of promos *iss me off too. I'll probably need to do a mileage run in Dec. to maintain GM for next year.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

There is no way they are tracking who received the offer. First of all, the promo code is the same for everyone. Second of all, it does not even have my skymiles number on it (if they knew who I was, they'd know I was gold already, and ready to bolt). Third, it does not even assume the recipient is a skymiles member - saying to sign up first if one isn't. Fourth, they can't even be tracking it by zip code, as it was sent to me at my office, but if I was signing up, I would use my home address.
Old Oct 13, 2000, 3:01 pm

What's the point of sending it out if they don't track it. That's not to say that people can't sneak in on the deal, but they do track it. They would be stupid not to.

Things like this devalue SM & GM. SM has almost no extra value anymore. SM today might be less beneficial than the basic FF level of 15 years ago.
Old Oct 13, 2000, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, DL Gold, LP ex-Millionaire!
I have to agree about the devaluation of Silver status. They just gave it to me last year--after flying only a couple of flights on Delta the whole year.
I think it was because I live in Boston and they are hot and heavy to increase their business here.
The reason I flew Delta so little that year is that AA offered me Gold status for flying only 10,000 miles! I guess they want the Boston market also!
Old Oct 13, 2000, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok guys, heres a question...

My wife is currently gold and has about 20,000 miles this year. She will fly another 14-16000 by the end of the year in 4-6 segments. Would it even be worth it for her to do this?

You guys think that if she has 36K at the end of the year and did this offer for the Silver bump (6 segs), they'd bump her to Gold?

Whaddyathink?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.