Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Earn Silver Medallion or Gold Medallion "faster than ever"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Silver Medallion or Gold Medallion "faster than ever"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2000, 12:20 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I wouldn't bet on it hfly.
Old Oct 14, 2000, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
I signed up for this promo using the info that BeantownFlyer posted. I haven't received the promotion in the mail, however I had no problem signing up. I don't know if this will work, but this is my only chance to get status next year.
Old Oct 14, 2000, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Seems to me if they are tracking it, you would be rejected when you tried to sign up. I find it hard to believe that after the fact they are going to try to cross reference mailings with names (and what if my wife got a mailing in her maiden name, but has a skymiles account in her married name?). Delta is happy to throw this offer and anyone that wants it - they just have the non-transferable wording to be able to say to real members that its a special targeted offering, etc.
Old Oct 15, 2000, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
qualifying segments on AF count too, I'm assuming? What is the deal on trans-atlantic flights with this promo?
Old Oct 15, 2000, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

No - all segments must be on Delta or Delta Connection - partner flights do not count as "qualifying".
Old Oct 16, 2000, 8:48 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I wonder if there is a way for a DL res or airport agent to verify that a given Sky Miles member is signed up for a specific offer.....like this one? While the automated telephone system says you are all signed up, what if some other part of DL's computers track whether you really got the offer, and then you go to trouble to fly the needed segments, the status does not materialize, and then you have no post card (or anything else) to prove to DL you signed up for this offer. All you have is, you word, that an automated system said you were signed up? If, on the other hand, DL employees can verify (by looking at your account) that you are signed up for a specific promotion, then one might be more certain of actually getting it. Don't get me wrong...I hope it works...but I just bring up the posibility that DL will cross-reference the mailings with those who enrolled in the offer. I know on CO and NW....even if you get a very generic looking post card, the computer system has a flag that indicates whether you are allowed to use a specific offer. Once, I called for a CO offer I read about, the agent said I was all set, and I never got the bonus miles. I called CO to bring this to their attention, and they told me that in fact they showed I never received the offer. I told them about the conversation with the agent who said I was being signed up, giving the date/time of the call which I marked down on my schedule. After looking at my account, they said that on said date/time, I had been advised that I was not allowed to participate in the offer, when in fact the rep told me on the phone I was good to go for the bonus. They refused to do anything about it, even to give me 1,000 miles, etc. I think the bonus was for 8,000 miles, and I went out of my way to fly extra segments to get that 8,000 miles.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 9:21 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Platinum
While they may not track who gets the postcard, if it is targeted to a given area it is possible they could have a range of zipcodes and even if you register you would not get credit unless your SkyMiles mailing address zipcode falls in their target.

[This message has been edited by gercohen (edited 10-16-2000).]
Old Oct 16, 2000, 10:16 am

Originally posted by BeantownFlyer:
Seems to me if they are tracking it, you would be rejected when you tried to sign up. I find it hard to believe that after the fact they are going to try to cross reference mailings with names (and what if my wife got a mailing in her maiden name, but has a skymiles account in her married name?). Delta is happy to throw this offer and anyone that wants it - they just have the non-transferable wording to be able to say to real members that its a special targeted offering, etc.
You may be right. They may not care as long as the address is in the Boston area. They will track it in some way, even just to measure response. Anyway, if the promotion works, you'll have more competition for upgrades out of BOS.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 10:47 am

No - all segments must be on Delta or Delta Connection - partner flights do not count as "qualifying".

I guess that rules me out anyway. I'm flying $ international trips and about 16,000 miles on AF. Shame isn't it.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 10:49 am

oops!:O I meant 4 when I typed $. Apologies.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
This promotion doesn't affect me since I'm already PM, but for those who intend to use it let's say -- hypothetically -- that you went to the Delta website, went to the SkyMiles section, changed your mailing address to somewhere in Boston, then registered for the promotion.

At some point down the road, of course, you change your address back to your regular mailing address.

It would seem in this scenario that you would win the promotional prize. The only thing you would miss is any Delta statements mailed to your phony Boston address in the meantime, plus any SWU's that might get mailed there as well.

Since it appears that Boston is the target market for this promo, it would seem to me for those trying to qualify that this is the safest way to be certain to get the prize.

The other option would be for one of our Boston-based fellow flyers to allow those registering for the promotion to use his/her address for a couple of months.

Old Oct 16, 2000, 3:39 pm

or just tell them that you received the offer in your boston office even though your home address is where the skymiles statement goes to.. looking at the original post it appears that they didn't cross reference the postcard to current status of individuals.. why would they advertise this to a gold member whose going to be annoyed about the devaluation of this??

so anyway.. my question.. i fly the 12 segements within the next three weeks.. hit gold.. how long does it take for it to post to my account?? ie: will i receive gold medallion immediately (or at the end of the promotion: dec. 15) and thus receive my gold medallion package which includes the systemwides?? from what i've read so far it should be so.. would love to have the full wording of the postcard if anyone is feeling amazingly generous..

on another note.. i called delta after i registered.. seems they have MULTIPLE offers running now because the rep at the medallion desk ran through three or four promotions before he came up with the one i referenced.. one of them required you to send in copies of boarding passes, etc.. but of course they couldn't find any record of me registering for the program.. although they said it states on the postcard that it will take one week for it to post.. even though segements will count so long as flown after registration..

we'll see what happens..
Old Oct 17, 2000, 10:25 am

juuceman, did yo happen to ask what other promotions they had to offer?
Old Oct 17, 2000, 11:02 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I too signed up by phone, and called the Medallion desk (getting a seemingly weell informed honest rep). He indicated that, in general, when you sign up for one of these offers, the computer system does not make a notation in your Skymiles account that they can see. He looked at my account, and could not find any reference to this promotion which I signed up for. So this leaves me wondering if I fly 12 segments if I will be gold, or if the system really has not officially signed me up. He suggested calling the promo desk at 800-352-1447. I have not yet called, really not to sure that they will have any more access to whatever field in your account gets triggered when you sign up for something like this. So wondering now whether to make the effort on the 12 segments, or if it would all be for not, and seems no way to be sure.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 4:51 pm

A couple of other promotion codes are 7500 and 7501. I am not really sure what each of these codes represents, or what happens if you sign up with all of them. One of these, or both, may be for some kind of bonus miles that also count towards your status. Spoke to another rep, and now, was told that often about a week after you sign up for an offer, remarks are added to the end of the remarks section of your Skymiles account record. So perhaps those that signed up should wait a week, and try to call DL to confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.