Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and AC announce partnership.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2000, 1:35 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Russ,

I can't help but chime in again. From an airline perspective (i.e., from a bean counter perspective), the load factor is only one thing to look at when judging the success of a business strategy. As important, if not MORE important, is the yield. And, despite Delta's continually packed planes, the yield for the last quarter was actually very flat. If you don't believe me, go to the PlaneBusiness site and sift through the comments and reports from the last earnings period.

Flat yields translated means too many cheap seats sold and not enough high yield seats. So, in other words, Delta is packing the planes with discount fare purchasers. Anybody can sell a cheap seat, but many airlines have gone out of business doing so.

Please don't brag about the full planes as though it means Delta is doing everything right. The flat yields suggest they may be doing quite the contrary, i.e., depending on massive quantities of people (commonly known as tourists) to fill the planes rather than attracting the high yield customers. This won't carry one through an economic downturn.

Using RJ's on international two hour flights is an example, I believe, of not catering to your high yield traffic. So, for that matter, is eliminating international first class (where selling one seat at $4,000 one way offsets selling 10 coach seats at $400 one way or 20 coach seats at $200 one way).

In my heart I still want to view Delta as a great airline. I've got the 2 Million Miles on the carrier to prove it. Yet it seems that everything the carrier does tends to turn me away from Delta more rather than attract me to it. From this board I get the feeling I'm not alone.

It would be so nice to see some sort of emphasis on service once again -- and I don't mean automated things like automated boarding pass scanners and the like -- to attract the discriminating business travelers back to Delta.
Old Aug 22, 2000, 2:50 pm

Programs: Vanishing
Interesting. Look at this cut from a post earlier in the thread:

Q: Since Air Canada and Canadian Airlines codeshare on all domestic flights right now, does this mean that a Canadian or Air Canada
flight could have three codes - an Air Canada flight number, a Canadian flight number and a Delta flight number?
A: Air Canada flights will have potentially the AC, CP and Delta codes and Delta could have Delta and Air Canada codes. Canadian Airlines is not part of the new Air Canada/Delta agreement.

When I arrived at DFW last Sunday, I saw a Canadian 737 parked at Delta's gate 30. As I got in to the ticket counter, they had a sign for Canadian check in there. What is the deal between Air Canada and Canadian and Delta?

/Pete
Old Aug 22, 2000, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

This could simply be an agreement for DL to do the ground and passenger service handling of their flts @ DFW. Very common. Also, DL could simply be leasing gate and ticket counter space to CP/AC as they do for FL and NW. Don't necessarily think there is anything behind it, but I could be wrong.

October 29 is right around the corner, the date this codeshare is to begin. As of today, there have been no specific announcements made as to what additional service will be provided between DL U.S. and AC CA hub cities. Has anyone heard details?
Old Oct 5, 2000, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
Please note that codeshare service is scheduled to begin in early 2001. The original implementation date of October 29, 2000 has been postponed due to the merger between Air Canada and Canadian Airlines.

I have yet to see an official memo or press release confirming this, but this came directly from a Delta intranet website. I guess we'll know its true when Oct. 29, 2000 comes and goes w/ out anything happening.
We'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.