Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The truth DL does not tell us

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2005, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Evan!
I don't dare claim to be an expert on bankruptcy or "golden parachute" clauses but wouldn't the pilots have to wait in line like all other creditors if DL is in bankruptcy? What type of "golden parachute" clause are you referring to? Do DL pilots get a departure package if they quit?
Until recently, retiring pilots could take half their pension in a lump sum, but two months ago, DL warned the pilots that those retiring on or after October 1, 2005, would likely see their lump sum requests denied. And although I'm not a bankruptcy expert (paging Eastbay1K to the white curtesy phone ), it looks very likely that the days of a million-dollar lump sum are probably over, as the pensions will probably be terminated in the bankruptcy proceedings, not unlike those at UAL and USAir.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:52 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JRF
You clearly understand as I have stated that DL does not care about the PAX, and therefore does not care if we know or understanad what is going on and how it may impact us in the next few weeks... I am glad you agree with me.
What do you want them to say? "Attention Passengers. Our pilots may go on strike soon which may cause us to go out of busines. But don't worry we will still get you there (we just might not be around to get you home). Have a nice day"
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:59 pm
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally Posted by sh9168
What do you want them to say? "Attention Passengers. Our pilots may go on strike soon which may cause us to go out of busines. But don't worry we will still get you there (we just might not be around to get you home). Have a nice day"
If you go back and read the thread from the start you will have a few good ideas of what posters think might be nice to tell us or let us know...
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:13 pm

Pilot Strike

I lived in Western Pennsylvania during the 1960s and 1970s, and watched the demise of the steel industry there. There are many analogies, the most important being competition provided the same product at a lower cost due to less expensive labor - i.e, foreign-produced steel; LCCs.

I will continue to fly Delta, but have significantly reduced my "bankroll" of FF miles (just in case).
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Marq
Here is the press release from yesterday's pilot meeting:

Delta Pilots Hold Atlanta Rally

ATLANTA --- The Delta pilots held an informational rally in Atlanta today. Nearly 1,000 pilots and their spouses attended to hear ALPA's president,
Marc
Wonder if they flew on DL jets to get to Atlanta if they were based elsewhere?????
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:20 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JRF
If you talk to many Eastern pilots today, they do not feel what they did was stupid. They felt it was the only option left... Lorenzo had to go.
Of course the EA pilots don't feel they did anything stupid. They didn't. The machinists were the one's that went on strike.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:12 am

What is your source..."most DL pilots have golden parachutes" ? Usually these are reserved for top-level executives.

Originally Posted by Kibison
Most, if not all, of the Delta pilots have golden parachutes. They may want to do the "murder-suicide" thing to cash out and move on.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:15 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Until recently, retiring pilots could take half their pension in a lump sum, but two months ago, DL warned the pilots that those retiring on or after October 1, 2005, would likely see their lump sum requests denied. And although I'm not a bankruptcy expert (paging Eastbay1K to the white curtesy phone ), it looks very likely that the days of a million-dollar lump sum are probably over, as the pensions will probably be terminated in the bankruptcy proceedings, not unlike those at UAL and USAir.
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
What is your source..."most DL pilots have golden parachutes" ? Usually these are reserved for top-level executives.
From FWAAA's explaination I would assert that "golden parachute" is the wrong term for any exit package that the pilots would get relating to their pensions. To me, a "golden parachute" has nothing to do with pension but a clause in a contract that states that, regardless of reason, a payment will be made to the holder of the contract upon separation from the company in question. I have only seen these with management positions and not with any labor position. Thanks FWAAA for clearing that up.

Some might say "tomato tomahto" what's the difference? However I don't believe any kind of pension lump sum should be grouped unfairly with "golden parachutes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.