Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christian Music Channel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2000, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Christian Music Channel

Returning from Ireland on Delta last week, I was amazed to find that one of the entertainment channels was "Contemporary Christian Music." This was presented by Musicforce.com. As that company is located in Nashville, I assumed that the music was affiliated with the evangelical movement. As a non-Christian, I found that choice by Delta to be unacceptable. I also felt that it was not a wise business decision. I wrote them a letter to that effect. After all, Delta wants to be a world airline. As most of the world is not Christian, much less evangelical, I think they should not pick one type of religious music over another. The alternative is to have religious music on every channel. Of course, then it would be a very long time before the rock and roll channels would be back.
What do you think?
Old Jul 17, 2000, 5:33 pm

Maybe they'll offer equal time for a satanic rock channel next month.
Old Jul 17, 2000, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I'm not Christian, but it never occurred to me to be offended. I just didn't listen to it.

Delta is a private company, not the government. I'm sure they are not trying to convert anyone, just provide some entertainment that some of their customers might like. (as opposed to the Hawaiian music channels -- does anyone ever listen to those!? )
Old Jul 17, 2000, 5:50 pm
Original Member

As long as the Christian Music is not played on the main cabin speakers, I guess I don't personally object; however, I agree that if they are going to offer a channel to accommodate one religion, they should accomodate all religions.
Old Jul 17, 2000, 11:48 pm
Moe

Hello, it's a CHANNEL.. thats why you have the option to change it Gulf Air and Saudi Arabian play verses from Islam's holy book, the Qur'an, and it's your choice to listen to it.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 3:41 am

Let me weigh in on the "we have a choice" side altho it seems a little unusual to have a Christian music channel. I pay for cable TV at home that must feature 7 or 8 religious channels. I find most of them better for entertainment value than for spiritual uplift. It also carries several Spanish channels. I'm not hispanic nor do I understand Spanish so my finger nudges the button and I move on. Here in my hotel the cable includes a couple of channels that rotate through several different types of ethnic programming in languages I don't understand - I have no clue whether it's religous matter or a social calendar. The whole thought is, there's all kinds of programming out there beyond Delta that we also pay for but aren't expecially interested in. The "good news" (pun intended) is that we aren't prisoners to any one channel's programming. Move on!

[This message has been edited by Bubba100 (edited 07-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bubba100 (edited 07-18-2000).]
Old Jul 18, 2000, 5:16 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
It would seem to me that DL should know some people would be upset by this. Regardless if the PAX are wrong or right about being upset, religion causes controversy. So, why play the music at all??? DL tries very hard to be neutral. Could this be the decision of a few religious employees at DL who are thinking of their interest first over neutrality? Perhaps DL will have to start offering Vchip on headphones and video display? Not an easy world we live in by any means.

Perhaps each month the music will change to that of a different religion, say next month Muslim, then maybe the month after Hebrew folk music (as suggested in a thread above). Would sure add variety to life. I guess the question one has to ask, what is the intention of DL by offering this music and risking offending a PAX? (This is a real threat, not a perceived threat as this thread proves it!) Is this DL making a statement that this music is better then other music or one religion is right and the others are wrong?

I find it hard to believe DL has done this, probably a few employees trying to speak their faith without long term consideration. At the same time, the comment that "Gulf Air and Saudi Arabian play verses from Islam's holy book, the Qur'an, and it's your choice to listen to it.", well that might be the religion of the governments that own those airlines, and the US does not have a "state" religion, maybe DL has an airline religion of preference?

I personally think it is wrong to play a channel of religious music and not represent other religions, maybe next month it will go away or we will be introduced to a different religion to expand all of our personal knowledge base. Either get rid of it or swap religions each month.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Moe sed:

Gulf Air and Saudi Arabian play verses from Islam's holy book, the Qur'an, and it's your choice to listen to it.
Board Pakistan International Airlines and you will hear a prayer for travelers before takeoff, and "We will be landing soon, Inshallah (God Willing)" prior to arrival.

Whether you like it or not.

I don't find the DL choice offensive. Personally, I don't care for evangelical music. I like my religion in small doses, at home or on the holidays. That said, there are a LOT of people, particularly in the South where DL is strong, who do. They are simply choosing to allocate their scarce resources (channels on the armrest) to the place where their marketing teams believe it will be most effective.

I don't like Clint Black, either, and I'm sure he's on Delta, too. (I know, not the same thing, but you get my point).

Greg
Old Jul 18, 2000, 7:14 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Keep in mind that much of Delta's flight activity is in the Bible Belt, especically given that two of its hubs are right in there (ATL and DFW). I think it's OK to offer it as a music channel, so long as no one is forced to listen (e.g., played over loudspeakers).
Old Jul 18, 2000, 7:28 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
I never noticed this channel before, must be an experiment. Since Christianity is a dominant religion in the USA and most of the Western Europe where DL flies, don't see much wrong with DL offering that type of music.
If we get too concerned with satisfying every choice and option, we'll be left with none.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 9:39 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Against my better judgement I'm going to jump in on this one. I'll put on my asbestos suit for all the flaming I'm about to endure.

This is over the top on the political correctness meter. If you don't want to hear the Christian music, don't listen to the channel! And alternating Christian music with Muslim and other religions? Spare me. The vast majority of this country's residents are professing if not practicing Christians. I'm well aware that Delta is a global carrier but their predominant passenger base is American.

And just when and where did we get this idea that we have a right not to be offended by anything anywhere. Toughen up and change the channel!

I zipped up my asbestos suit. Flame away.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 9:42 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I vote for seperation of church and airline. However, I think you should still be able have a minute of silent prayer. Mabye this is an issue for the Supreme Court of Delta? What if you are flying to a high school football game on DL, does this change anything?

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited 07-18-2000).]
Old Jul 18, 2000, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I am in total agreement with the Supreme Court on matters of seperation of church & state, school prayers, etc.

But that has nothing whatsoever to do with this!

I don't think you can "balance" Christian music (which is basically pop or country music with a religious bent) -- there aren't any real analogues. Hebrew folk music isn't religious. Muslim prayers are prayers. I would be more offended by the offer of a Hebrew folk music channel presented as a balance to the Christian music channel than I would be by having the Christian channel by itself.

I would object to:
1. An airline owned and operated by the United States Government that had a Christian music channel. Come to think of it, I would object to having an airline owned and operated by the United States government, period!
2. Having ONLY Christian music channels on Delta.

What Delta is doing is no more offensive to me than a Macy's Christmas Sale.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Anyone considered it strange the number of FT "Evangelists" piping up on this one?

"Aint irony ironic?"

Greg
Old Jul 18, 2000, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Moe:
Hello, it's a CHANNEL.. thats why you have the option to change it Gulf Air and Saudi Arabian play verses from Islam's holy book, the Qur'an, and it's your choice to listen to it.
Proves my point. Only Islam is allowed in Saudi Arabia. Gulf Air I have flown. Don't remember the music. Too long ago and too short a trip (Paris to London)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.