Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Yet another change to the upgrades that I haven't seen discussed ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2000, 7:16 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

Looking at the upgrade summary, another change to the entire upgrade scheme is that GM's will now only receive four segment upgrades upon qualification. This is really a minor change if you ask me, but it all adds up. I've been flying DL for less than four years, and in that time here's the erosion I've seen of my GM benefits (in roughly the order they've happened):

1) Change of Million Miler Qualification to base miles from all miles

2) L fares made non-upgradeable

3) U fares added, making the two lowest fare classes now non-upgradeable

4) Systemwides replaced by this less valuable and harder to earn NAMU's

5) 800 miles upgrades for GM qualification lowered from 8 to 4

In exchange for the loss of all these wonderful benefits I've gotten:

1) The less valuable NAMU's are now valid on a companion.

This is rediculous and you can bet I'm writing DL about this!
Old Aug 1, 2000, 8:39 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Uh oh! Delta's most loyal fan and defender is unhappy with a change to the program. That can only mean one thing....the change is really bad.

Watch out Delta.....the natives are restless.
Old Aug 1, 2000, 10:21 am

Of course we've all constantly said on this board that we always have plenty of segment points left over at the end of the year...

You couldn't pay for a better focus group than this board.

The natives ARE restless.
Old Aug 1, 2000, 10:46 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
This was the last straw for me. American has better service at LAX. The Systemwides were what kept me with Delta.
On to AA.
Old Aug 1, 2000, 11:33 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Yes, changing airlines may be in the future for me to. I am planning a physical move in the next two months and part of the decision as to what city or rural area I move to will be based on the airline I select to fly with. DL has now, for the first time ever, added airline criteria to the list. Shame on you DL!
Old Aug 1, 2000, 11:59 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
scribbler ~ admittedly, yes, most GM's I know do have tons of upgrades left ... then why take them away? Just to piss us off even more?
Old Aug 1, 2000, 1:50 pm
Original Member

It's not just the natives who are restless
Old Aug 1, 2000, 5:51 pm

Why take the segments points away from us? Because they think they can. History, it seems, proves they are right.

What I've learned in life is if you let someone get away with something once, in certain ways, you're saying it's okay to try and pull something else off:

Annoyed as I was with the L-class rule, I came to some sort of peace with it, though I think mostly because of the systemwides. So I didn't walk, I stayed with DL and I have had few complaints. I figure a fair number of people were of similiar thought. But now they take away what kept me around last time... what's left: higher prices to upgrade.
Old Aug 1, 2000, 6:17 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hey, if you'all (or whatever) leave DL, just consider that you'll also will forsake the SKYTEAM!
Old Aug 1, 2000, 7:39 pm

DL is starting to remind me of IBM in the oldy-days. They think they have a captive market. And this "Sky-team" could they have come up with a more ridiculous name for an alliance... oh but I forgot, it's an alliance with "you the traveler in mind"

What it all comes down to is the economics folks - people want to fly them, they've got a good core group of PM's so screw the rest of us. The economy is just too durn good... airlines can do what they want to biz traveler.

... and to think I'll make GM on them this year. I can't stand US and AA...TW and HP are a joke... UA is a 900 pound gorilla...it goes on and on!
Old Aug 1, 2000, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I've got the same problem. UA obviously could care less about their passengers as evidenced by their performance this summer. CO keeps pushing those fare hikes down our throats. US is a little too small. AA really didn't do much for their pax when their pilots went on strike. NW leaves people in planes for hours on end.... Dunno where to turn. I think either AA or NW?

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Aug 1, 2000, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL-MM,SW-CP,A-List Preferred
I am now happy with my decision to stop flying Delta this year. It has been a pure pleasure over at Continental. I downgraded Delta status from Plt to Gld in 99. Delta kept me plt for 2000 but have yet to fly DL.
My problems with DL:

1. L fare
2. No jet service IAH to DFW(bad wst cst service)
3. Changes to MM program
4. Poor Service

Reasons to Consider staying elite at DL:

1. 380,000 old FF miles
2. 875,000 base miles toward MM

Does anyone think this is enough of a reason to fly DL?

I have made Gold at CO for next year and can make plt or fly dl the rest of the yr and keep dl elite.
Old Aug 1, 2000, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I'm actually seriously thinking of switching over to Qualiflyer ... I go to Switzerland 4-5 times/year, and Travelclub can be had for 50,000 miles. I already have 2 r/t upgrades on Delta awards that will give me a head start next year.

And I have a trip to Australia, which would give me a good jump on American or United for a mid-level domestic elite tier. Maybe take the Challenge...

Too bad, I'm getting close to a Million on Delta. Then again, with Silver being just about worthless, why bother?
Old Aug 1, 2000, 8:56 pm

Opus 17,

I do most of my travelling transatlantic do you have any info on the benefits of the qualiflyer/travelclub? I have found SR flts to be excellent and might look to them now
Old Aug 1, 2000, 9:06 pm
Original Member

Doc - that's a tempting offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.