Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Looks like the pilots may strike — Delta Air Lines Pilots Vote to Authorize Strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like the pilots may strike — Delta Air Lines Pilots Vote to Authorize Strike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:08 am

A possible sign of hope and progress?

Originally Posted by knkjens
I hope, for the sake of those that I know, that DALPA and DL can work something out that BOTH parties can live with.
And with that in mind, this morning per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution :
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...4bizdelta.html

"Gains hinted in talks at Delta
Saturday ruling may be delayed

By RUSSELL GRANTHAM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/14/06
Talks on a strike-averting contract deal continued Thursday between Delta Air Lines and its pilots union, with hints of progress that might at least delay a showdown.

Spokesmen for both sides declined to characterize the talks, being held in New York with the help of one member of an arbitration panel that has been involved in the dispute since last month.

People familiar with the situation said negotiators were trading proposals and narrowing differences.

Even if no deal is reached today, they said, the arbitration panel might delay a scheduled Saturday ruling on whether Delta can void its pilots contract and impose new terms. Pilot union leaders have said such a ruling would prompt a strike, and the union chairman is authorized to call one anytime after Monday.

I hope this is a sign of progress and not smoke and mirrors from both sides. At least both sides are now talking to each other, and more importantly it is happening in front of the arbitrators.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 14, 2006 at 8:19 am Reason: The article was edited, as it may not be posted in its entirety on FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond
"I hope this is a sign of progress and not smoke and mirrors from both sides. At least both sides are now talking to each other, and more importantly it is happening in front of the arbitrators."

Oh, me too
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:17 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Just read this piece in today's NY Times. The author is a gentleman I knew many years ago. His daughter was a good friend. At the time I knew Captain Buck he was the #1 pilot in seniority for TWA. He has been retired for many years. In the NY Times article he offers his perspective on DL pilots, flying and unions. I thought it was interesting reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/18/op...=1&oref=slogin Please note that you may be required to log-in. I believe that logging on as Flyertalk with password Flyertalk will work.
Captain Buck wrote a book called "North Star Over My Shoulder." I highly recommend it.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yahoo Finance has an AP story indicating that DL and the union have reached a tentative deal, subject to ratification by the pilots.

No terms were announced but it was described as a "long-term" deal.

The arbitration panel chairman Richard Bloch said he's pleased they've reached a tentative agreement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.