Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Looks like the pilots may strike — Delta Air Lines Pilots Vote to Authorize Strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like the pilots may strike — Delta Air Lines Pilots Vote to Authorize Strike

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:38 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
No worry about a strike in the immediate term - it's highly likely that the parties will reach an agreement, and in any case, the judge would likely not rule on the motion that could precipitate the strike until after the Xmas/New Year's holidays.
This came from the "Delta Hysteria" thread, but I wanted to ask the question here. If the court ruling would not happen until after the New Year, then what is the hearing on November 16th for? Is that just a preliminary hearing where DL lawyers make their case to the judge? Is DALAP able to attend, and have a say, in that hearing?

I would guess that this is just "playful" banter between DALAP and DL management, and is probably all part of the game. From what I understand, a few airline labor groups have threatened a strike when management filed the 1113(c) motion, but reached agreements shortly thereafter. I hope that is the case with Delta.

Last edited by tbangs; Nov 6, 2005 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by tbangs
Is that just a preliminary hearing where DL lawyers make their case to the judge? Is DALAP able to attend, and have a say, in that hearing?
Yes on both counts - it's the preliminary hearing required to get the ball officially rolling on the 1113(c) process - the final hearing on the motion likely won't take place in 2005.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:58 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the pilots offered $91 million/year in pay cuts, stating that it will be more than enough for Delta to meet its CASM goal.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...talabor10.html
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:52 pm

According to the article linked, DL wants $325 million in concessions, so the union is 28% of the way there. Sounds like a huge spread, but who knows what each side's bottom line numbers may be.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gilpin
According to the article linked, DL wants $325 million in concessions, so the union is 28% of the way there. Sounds like a huge spread, but who knows what each side's bottom line numbers may be.
And I thought that buying a car was a pain in the a**
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by J.Edward

Pardon an ignorant question, how would a DL pilot strike be diffrent than the NW mech strike? Lack of replacement workers?

The "replacement pilot" is probably a server room in atl; maybe they'll mount some cameras pointed at cockpit dials. j/k
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:21 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was reading the DALAP letter dated Nov 9th, the Chairman said that objections to Delta's 1113 were due by 4:00pm on the 9th. I was looking at the deltadocket.com and noticed that only two objections to Delta's 1113 were filed, neither of them from the DALAP officially (both were on behalf of retired Delta pilots.) Am I missing something? Why didn't they file an objection?

Also, there is a DALAP rally on the 15th in Atlanta. They will talk about their strike preparations, and negotiation progress.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors lackey
When I got home yesterday, one of the guys I know that works for Delta told me that the court threw out the pilots agreement and DALPA gave Delta until Wednesday to figure something out or they were going to strike. I don't know if this is true or not, but this guys info is usually right on the money.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Two questions:

1. Will Song pilots be going on strike at the same time?

2. What happens to someone who flies into the US on a Delta codeshare ticket and has a connection to a DL flight if there is a strike? Do they arrange for him to take another airline?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Two questions:

1. Will Song pilots be going on strike at the same time?

2. What happens to someone who flies into the US on a Delta codeshare ticket and has a connection to a DL flight if there is a strike? Do they arrange for him to take another airline?

This better not mess up our PBI/FLL meet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Modapa
This better not mess up our PBI/FLL meet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:54 pm

Not to mention messing up my holiday flying! I'm booked solid until January and I am NOT going to miss Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
Will Song pilots be going on strike at the same time?
Dov, there is no such thing as a Song pilot. The Song 757's are flown by DL pilots in DL uniforms. If the pilots walk, it affects Song also.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
When I got home yesterday, one of the guys I know that works for Delta told me that the court threw out the pilots agreement and DALPA gave Delta until Wednesday to figure something out or they were going to strike. I don't know if this is true or not, but this guys info is usually right on the money.
THe court hearing isn't even until Wednesday, Nov 16.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Not to mention messing up my holiday flying! I'm booked solid until January and I am NOT going to miss Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family.
I've got two DL trips to Maui and a gut-wrenching journey to Maine planned over the next couple months. While I enjoy both destinations I don't want to be stranded in either place either.
But it's out of my control now so will just hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.