Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Looks like the pilots may strike — Delta Air Lines Pilots Vote to Authorize Strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like the pilots may strike — Delta Air Lines Pilots Vote to Authorize Strike

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
Originally Posted by keeton
Well, they can pick any one of the above. If they were to force a work stoppage at DL then it would destroy the airline as well as the careers of thousands of other employees.

There are many reasons, of course, but the f****** bloodsuckers at DALPA are probably the single most responsible group for the cash drain that forced DL into bankruptcy. People lambast Leo and the gang for their golden parachutes but this was small potatoes compared to the excessive salarys (the other airlines negotiated downwards years ago) and lump sum retirement draws made by thousands of DALPoids.

Now, I'm sure that the pilots themselves are mostly good people and proud of the job they do. It is just the DALPA crowd who wants to throw their weight around and make it feel like the union dues are justified are going to take thei airline down if they get their way.

I could not have said it better myself.

It is very noticeable in conversations with DL front-line staff that DALPA has created a lot of resentment with other employees.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Has it been so long since Eastern that the episode is no longer included in union history books under "failed work stoppages"?
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Has it been so long since Eastern that the episode is no longer included in union history books under "failed work stoppages"?
What do you mean, 'failed'?

Work stopped.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gator21
Don't forget that the government can force the pilots to work if they strike. Something to do with what is our national best interest.

Even if they vote to strike, the government won't let it happen.
I'm not certain that the President would order them back to work. With most industry analysts and economists in agreement that the high-fare, high-cost airline industry (legacy airlines) is currently suffering from overcapacity, it's entirely possible that the President would say "Good luck with that" and let DL fail.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:17 pm

The typical way for the government to order strikers back to work is to invoke the provisions of the Taft-Hartley Act (and/or subsequent legislation). It can halt the strike during a "cooling off" period to allow the sides to settle their dispute. That action is quite routine and I would be surprised if doesn't happen in this case.

But that is only a delaying mechanism. If the pilots still want to strike after the cooling off period has ended it would be extrodinary for the government to intervene unless the President declared a national emergency would ensue. This has only happened a few times in U.S. history (e.g. during WWII) and it is very doubtful that such an action would be taken in regard to Delta unless the national situation is very different then than it is today.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by gator21
Don't forget that the government can force the pilots to work if they strike. Something to do with what is our national best interest.

Even if they vote to strike, the government won't let it happen.
Not quite in the case of an 1113(c) abrogation - although the issue of whether a workgroup governed by the RLA can be compelled to work after a contract has been abrogated would be a matter of first impression for the courts, it is unlikely, IMHO, that the law would look favorably upon forcing someone to continue work on terms they did not agree to.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Two points:

1. There is no such thing as a union which is greedier than its members. If DL pilots don't want to go on strike they will vote it down.

2. I can not imagine the government stepping in as the strike would in no way be against the nation's interests. It would merely transfer traffic from Delta to competing airlines.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by gilpin
The typical way for the government to order strikers back to work is to invoke the provisions of the Taft-Hartley Act (and/or subsequent legislation).
Airline labor is governed by the National Railway Labor Act, which remains silent on what happens if a NRLA contract is tossed in bankruptcy proceedings. Forcing someone to work for terms they did not bargain for is tantmount to involuntary servitude, and I can't see a court denying pilots immediate self-help if their contract is thrown out.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Airline labor is governed by the National Railway Labor Act, which remains silent on what happens if a NRLA contract is tossed in bankruptcy proceedings. Forcing someone to work for terms they did not bargain for is tantmount to involuntary servitude, and I can't see a court denying pilots immediate self-help if their contract is thrown out.
Only problem is, if they strike, they would likely be helping themselves to the unemployment line. That's what I call a "career limiting move".
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:37 am

Not quite in the case of an 1113(c) abrogation - although the issue of whether a workgroup governed by the RLA can be compelled to work after a contract has been abrogated would be a matter of first impression for the courts, it is unlikely, IMHO, that the law would look favorably upon forcing someone to continue work on terms they did not agree to.
The president can invoke the RLA to stop strikes affecting air carriers when a dispute threatens "substantially to interrupt interstate commerce to a degree such as to deprive any section of the country of essential transportation service". In the RLA just as in the Taft-Hartley Act there is a cooling off period (60 days) before the stike may resume.
If there is no mention of abrogation the government is sure to assume they have the power to enforce these provisions as the salient issue is the interruption of interstate commerce, an area where the Federal government has direct constitutionally granted powers.

Given that fact courts are unlikely to side with DALPA if the president chooses to impose a cooling-off period. I do agree that pilot "self-help" wouldn't trigger a cooling-off period. Individuals are generally free to stop work whenever they please, union contract or not. DALPA organizing a strike as a measure to cripple the airline is a different matter entirely.

Whether the president would choose to impose a cooling off period if the bankruptcy court grants Delta's request and DALPA stages a strike is hard to guess. It would probably be a political rather than an economic decision. The union press certainly believes that Bush is a union-buster so they assume he will invoke his powers.

The real question in all of this is will the courts permit DL to replace striking DALPA members with non-union pilots?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gilpin
The real question in all of this is will the courts permit DL to replace striking DALPA members with non-union pilots?
The next logical question would be whether or not you would fly on a plane with a pilot that was obtained that way? I for one would not consider flying on DL if they outsourced their pilots in a labor dispute. IMHO, one of the major reasons that we fly all on DL is because of the reputation of their pilots, who are among the finest in the industry.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
It is extremely difficult to replace striking pilots due to the complexity of pilot training requirements, recent flight experience, competency checks and so forth. They might be able to run a skeleton operation (like Eastern attempted to do) but that would be all.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
IMHO, one of the major reasons that we fly all on DL is because of the reputation of their pilots, who are among the finest in the industry.
I highly doubt that's the reason people are choosing DL. Most people (including frequent flyers) know nothing about the people flying the planes.

And quite honestly, there is little difference between the pilots that fly for DL and the pilots that fly for Southwest, Northwest, United, American, Continental, JetBlue or practically any other US airline.

With that said, if a strike were to happen, you wouldn't have to worry about replacement pilots. DL would be liquidated in short order.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
I highly doubt that's the reason people are choosing DL. Most people (including frequent flyers) know nothing about the people flying the planes.

And quite honestly, there is little difference between the pilots that fly for DL and the pilots that fly for Southwest, Northwest, United, American, Continental, JetBlue or practically any other US airline.

With that said, if a strike were to happen, you wouldn't have to worry about replacement pilots. DL would be liquidated in short order.
ConnFlyer

In my time away from this board I missed your insights and comments.

I agree with you. Most travelers view pilots as interchangeable, just as they do aircraft. An AirTran Captain is the essentially the same as a Delta Captain, just as an AirTran 100 seat plane is essentially the same as a Delta 100 seat plane.

I live in Atlanta and have several Delta pilots as neighbors and friends. I like them all as individuals but since the furloughs in Nov 2001 they have definetly been behaving in a manner best descibed as 'squirrelly". What tipped me off was that they seemed to be more upset about the furloughs than they were about 9/11. It really got under their skin that Delta could ignore a core component of the contract, regardless of the cause. They truly believed that Delta was using 9/11 as a cover to rewrite their working agreement.

My concern is that the Delta pilots may decide to pull the plug with a strike and take Delta into Chapter 7. With their seniority system and the current oversupply of pilots, they have much more to lose than anyone else at the company, but I still believe they may be close to being over the edge emotionally and there may be enough of the young hotheads plus enough older guys who feel at the end of their ropes to actually push through a decision to strike.

It will be a shame but that's the way it goes. In any event, for the first time since 1985, I am making my flight reservations on other airlines until the situation becomes more stable. i went through the no-overtime fiasco in the winter of 2001 and I don't ever want to do that again.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Originally Posted by BertBamboo
ConnFlyer

My concern is that the Delta pilots may decide to pull the plug with a strike and take Delta into Chapter 7. With their seniority system and the current oversupply of pilots, they have much more to lose than anyone else at the company, but I still believe they may be close to being over the edge emotionally and there may be enough of the young hotheads plus enough older guys who feel at the end of their ropes to actually push through a decision to strike.
If you kill your "enemy", but you die in the effort, do you win?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.