Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to suspend service to ***uoka, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 1999, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Delta to suspend service to ***uoka, Japan

The bulletin board's 'auto-censor' seems to be working on the title of this topic, and throughout my post. The city's name begins with "F" as in Foxtrot, "U" as in Uniform, and "K" as in Kilo. Nonetheless, here is the information:

Delta to Suspend Service to ***uoka, Japan; Portland to Continue as Asian Gateway with Daily, Nonstop Flights to Tokyo, Nagoya, Japan

ATLANTA, Aug. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) said today it will suspend service between Portland and ***uoka, Japan on October 1, 1999. Delta will continue U.S. to Japan service with daily flights between Portland and Tokyo; Portland and Nagoya; Los Angeles and Tokyo; and Atlanta and Tokyo.
Delta remains committed to its Asian service, but continued weakness, which resulted in financial losses on the Portland to ***uoka route, has led the carrier to suspend the flight.

Delta said it does not suspend a service without giving great consideration to the impact on the communities involved. Delta started daily service between Portland and ***uoka on October 29, 1998.
------------------

[This message has been edited by rhw88 (edited 08-13-1999).]

Old Aug 13, 1999, 10:39 am
Original Member

Thanks for the message Ronald! Perhaps the board can be taught not to censor the names of cities?
Old Aug 13, 1999, 11:23 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Even better was the board changing the NYSE : DAL (without the space between the : and the D when ronald put it in) to
Old Aug 13, 1999, 11:29 am
Original Member

I wondered where that came from!
Old Aug 13, 1999, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Beckles: fixed the smiley - sorry, I have been writing some mega-documents and therefore the last thing I wanted to do was proofread! Have a great weekend!!!

-Ronald
Old Aug 15, 1999, 10:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
This is no surprise. Delta has shown no serious desire to do business in Asia. They refuse to use any other aircraft accept MD-11's on flights to Asia. So when markets are soft they bail out instead of changing to a smaller aircraft. They could use 767's if they are 180 minute ETOPS rated. But then again they probably don't have a contract with the pilots to fly 767's in Asia. They did this same thing in February when they stopped flying to Seoul. They used the same press release with the name of the city being changed. They don't think hard and long before making their decision, they look at the bottom dollar without regard to customer inconvience and lost future customers. Too bad they can't sign up with Singapore to co-share all of their Asian flights and bail out of Asia all together.

JayJ
Old Aug 15, 1999, 9:47 pm

DL and Asia. Exasperating. DL has held route authority to fly HNL/NRT for over a year, and not only doesn't fly the route yet, but hasn't announced any plans to do so. This may be linked to the 777 issue, since it would make a great 777 route.
Old Aug 16, 1999, 8:54 am
Original Member

It also has route authority for Osaka. I am sure they could go back to TPE, HKG, and BKK if they wanted too. However, they do not have the will to compete in asia. I am surprised they still fly to Hawaii, maybe the LAX/HNL flights are next?

[This message has been edited by JayJ (edited 08-16-1999).]
Old Aug 16, 1999, 9:04 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Use it or lose it?

What makes you think any other airline would want it? I'm sure if one of the other airlines wanted it, they'd be doing something about it ...
Old Aug 16, 1999, 9:10 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

DL and Asia is exasperating and puzzling? What is their plan here, if any? The former promising relationship with SIA was so short-lived! One year? Please get an Asia plan and implement it!

Interestingly SIA pulled out of HNL many years ago (seven years?). DL won't, IMHO, only beacause it's such a population FF destination! It's tough to book now but they do have it!

Old Aug 16, 1999, 9:23 am
Original Member

You are right Beckles? Nobody else wants it. UA and NW have all kinds of route athority to use Osaka and are not utilizing it. And DL is unwilling to fly a smaller aircraft to serve these cities and compete. It is interesting that they will fly 4500 to 5000 miles from ATL to Europe with a 767 but will not fly the same distance to Japan, or Korea with the same aircraft. Why can't they switch to a 767 and still serve *** in the winter time or reduce the number of frequencies a week? Why won't they do this for SEL, HKG, TPE, BKK? I am sure that they have enough customer's to fill a 767.
Old Aug 16, 1999, 9:36 am
Original Member

Perhaps they're considering the balance sheet.

Perhaps they're also considering a long term, more formal alliance with SQ, Korean or Malaysian, as part of the tie in with AF.
Old Aug 16, 1999, 7:23 pm
Original Member

they won't pull out of HNL--after all, they can still use the L1011s there (which won't reach all the way to Asia). You're right about the ff miles, though--very popular destination.
Old Aug 17, 1999, 12:13 pm
Original Member

I think the real problem is their PDX hub. I was there recently and noticed that they have very few onward domestic connections from there. They had a flight to BOS that was dropped recently. Perhaps they will start their Asian hub in LAX, SLC or ATL?
Old Aug 17, 1999, 1:21 pm
Original Member

Leroy - Presumably ATL is too far east and too far south? (it's an extra ~2000 miles which is a lot of fuel, even for a 767-300ER). I think LAX may be better, if they can get the operating licences and play with their landing slots. They do the hub system on some European flights too though - for instance DL36 used to be LGW-CVG with onward service to LAX (don't know if it still is - I only ever seem to fly CVG-LGW eastbound).

[This message has been edited by james (edited 08-17-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.