Search

DL/UA Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 1998, 11:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K
DL/UA Alliance

I'm sorry, but I don't feel good about the proposed DL/UA Alliance. From what I just found out from InsideFlyer, my bad feelings have not gone away. I have listed below my feelings of the pro's and possible con's of this alliance:

Pro

1. Increased service using UA on a DL flt number.

2. Use of UA Red Carpet rooms if you are a Crown Room member.

3. More options for upgrading and free travel.

Cons

1. Possible expiring miles like on UA.

2. Possible 35000 miles to travel to Hawaii like on UA.

3. 250 SkyMiles when using United Shuttle.

4. No upgrades made available on United for SkyMile members.

5. Eliminating automatic upgrades for Platinum Members travel on an K class or higher ticket.

6. Eliminating automatic Crown Room membership to Platinum Members or not letting them use the UA Red Carpet rooms.

Can you think of any more so DL can save some more money?
Old Jun 2, 1998, 9:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I'm glad someone else realizes that these alliances (DL/UA, AA/US, and NW/CO) are not as great as they first appear to be. With all the hype from the airlines, the press, and InsideFlyer, you would think they're giving tickets away.

The pros and cons you mention are all very plausible. I'm not sure I agree that more options will be available for free travel and upgrades. Actually, I believe less will be available. The airlines intend to cut service on routes that overlap. Translation: Less competition, increased fares, and fewer (not more) seats available to particular destinations.

While it's true that new destinations open up for those locations where only one of the aligning carriers was providing service, it now means flyers will be competing against more flyers for free seats and upgrades; those of the original serving carrier plus the hoard of new frequent flyers who have access from the other carrier. Translation: More competition for the same number of award seats or upgrades.

The two biggest complaints frequent flyers have, as this forum demonstrates, is:
1. Lack of availability of upgrades
2. Lack of availability of free seats

The alliances do not address either of these points and, in fact, make both situations worse. Two years from now frequent flyers will be screaming louder than ever about lack of seats.
Old Jun 2, 1998, 10:46 am
Commander Catcop

I concur with JayJ and MileKing's concerns,
and maybe I add another... Higher airfares,
especially for business travelers like myself. Someone's going to have to pay for
these airline marriages... and I'm expecting
it will be us.

Bigger is not necessarily better.
Old Jun 2, 1998, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
I totally agree with MileKing's assessments. My opinion regarding proposed airline alliances were recently solicited by InsideFlyer. I basically had the same conclusions as MileKing. Other items that we should expect with these alliances are an increase in change fees for NR/non-changeable tickets and increase in award ticketing fees. The frequent flyer (FF) will not only have less options but will also have lesser influence in changing airline policies. As it is right now, even when we tell the DL that their planes are dirty, or that our bags appear in the carousel 30 minutes after are flights have landed (even though it has that fluorescent orange "Priority" tag), or that we are unhappy with their "no upgrade on L-fares" policy, DL does not listen. Can you imagine how much harder it would be when the alliance with UA gets approved?

Regarding possible cutbacks as JayJ has mentioned, well, expect it! Both DL and UA have been known to significantly cut back on FF benefits in the past. DL and UA will most likely define "reciprocal" FF program benefits in their terms. We can only hope that they will follow CO and HP's lead when it comes to a true reciprocity of FF program benefits.
Old Jun 4, 1998, 7:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K
Just to add some additional information. I went over to the United site on FlyerTalk and saw a reference to a website www.untied.com. I think one of the reply posters on this thread suggested it. Anyway this is a website of horror stories on United. Most of the material is over a year old and maybe United has changed, but I hope those horror stories don't start happening to SkyMiles members.

Regds
JayJ
Old Jul 1, 1998, 6:35 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
delta & united just announced that they will begin allowing miles in either program beginning with flights on september 1, 1998.
Old Jul 2, 1998, 9:35 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
update...

Beginning September 1, members of both MileagePlus and SkyMiles frequent flyer programs will be eligible to receive miles accrued on flights, as well as class-of-service bonus miles. Members can opt to receive miles for either program when traveling on domestic U.S. flights. In addition, members of either program will receive bonus miles when flying in either First or Business Class.

Benefits of the joint program will initially be limited to flights within the 50 U.S. States and Puerto Rico. International flights, as well as domestic flights part of an international itinerary and codeshare flights are not eligible for joint accrual.
Old Jul 2, 1998, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
The announcement does raise some interesting issues. If a FF can accumulate miles on his/her choice of DL or UA, regardless of who is running the flight, why would anyone choose to earn UA miles (that expire) when they can earn DL miles (that don't expire)? The part about the reciprocal earning only applying to domestic flights further complicates the issue. FFs who travel internationally are being forced to choose a preferred international carrier if they intend to use their miles for international awards. The picture continues to be cloudy!
Old Jul 6, 1998, 10:58 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Has anyone heard the scoop on the important frequent flier issues concerning this yet? With less than two months I hope Delta will be telling us elite members soon.

My primary concerns are:

Will I be able to use upgrades on DL flights operated by UA?

Will DL flight segments operated by UA count towards elite status?

Will I get my elite milage bonus on DL flights opeated by UA? (I already know the answer for class of service bonus, which is yes)
Old Jul 8, 1998, 11:20 am
Original Member

You will only be able to use your elite upgrades on Delta flights (but not in L class) <smile>
Also flights on United will not count toward elite status on Delta.
This is basically going to work the same way as all other Delta code-share/SkyMiles partners. And should eventually include international flights.

Old Jul 8, 1998, 11:47 am
Original Member

Also....keep in mind that Delta is not "merging" its FF program with United's. You can just earn and redeem miles in which ever program you choose. So it is not necessary to worry that an award to Hawaii on Delta will now require 35,000 miles. Delta is not changing its program.
But I do agree...it will probably mean that there will be less FF award seats available. Of all the airlines, Delta allots the fewest seats for free travel (5%) I think. Maybe this will change now.....

Old Jul 9, 1998, 12:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Thanks for the info Jeyna....but don't you earn elite miles on Sabena, Swissair, and Austrian?
Old Jul 12, 1998, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Yes...but only those 3 because they are part of the "Atlantic Excellence" alliance with Delta. United is not part of that alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.