Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta turning into Southwest?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:19 pm

Strange, I haven't seen a 737 for a long time. All my delta flights were on CRJs. So from my perspective delta will never become southwest.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SM/MR/PC
Originally Posted by indufan
Yes, Southwest do have lower overall costs but they have admitted that even with all of that, if not for fuel hedging, they wouldn't be profitable right now. Now, they wouldn't be bleading as badly as others but still not making money.

However, I believe with the current pay schedules in place, Southwest has the highest paid pilots.
You're right, SW pilots do make the most under the current pay schedule - I guess those pay cuts the pilot unions have been agreeing to are really taking their toll. Anyone know what the LUV pension plan is like?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SM/MR/PC
Originally Posted by travelnutz
Strange, I haven't seen a 737 for a long time. All my delta flights were on CRJs. So from my perspective delta will never become southwest.
Does Delta actually have CRJs in their main fleet, or are they only ComAir? If Delta starts flying CRJs from CVG-PDX, then I will switch to LUV! ;-)
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaMike
Does Delta actually have CRJs in their main fleet, or are they only ComAir? If Delta starts flying CRJs from CVG-PDX, then I will switch to LUV! ;-)
They are only Comair (and formerly/about to be formerly ASA) but why distinguish between the two?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
However, I believe with the current pay schedules in place, Southwest has the highest paid pilots.
I saw a post in the NWA strike discussions, iirc NWA has second highest mechanics pay scale, Southwest was either highest or third highest overall.

So they have higher labor costs than the others, but because of the fuel deals they are profitable for now.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:16 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 10, 2007 at 7:33 am
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:19 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
ComAir has ERJ's?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:39 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 10, 2007 at 7:33 am
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Boy I don't. I kind of like the 767.
It might be great from where you are sitting, but it gets a little tight at 31D.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:12 am
v3

Back to the original post: don't know about Southwest but I just flew ATL-PHX in 737 and compared to 767 that used to fly on this route it wasn't the best experience even with upgrade. Same goes for ATL-DFW: they used to have 767's and 757's, now it is mostly 737 and some of them are with one class configuration.
I've recently had a chance to experience AA FC on ATL-DFW and was very impressed: it is like in the good old days on Delta even if their flight attendants somewhat less enthusiastic - choice of meals, drinks in real glasses, no paper placemats etc. Compared to that, Delta has certainly moved toward Southwest standards...
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I saw a post in the NWA strike discussions, iirc NWA has second highest mechanics pay scale, Southwest was either highest or third highest overall.

So they have higher labor costs than the others, but because of the fuel deals they are profitable for now.
I don't think you can necessarily connect high mechanic pay scales directly with higher labor costs [and particularly overall labor costs] and then assume that everything will equalize once their current fuel hedges roll off. There are all kinds of ways and reasons that a) overall costs of mechanic labor could still be competitive and b) overall labor costs for the airline could be competitive.

More importantly, you have to look back at years and years of evidence of a well-run airline. Anyone who thinks 'if we can just get past this high-cost fuel environement' and then start eating WN's lunch is just deluding themselves. I don't even fly WN, but they've got basic managerial, cultural, and structural advantages - outside of a good decision to hedge fuel - that makes them a fierce, adaptable, and able competitor.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:36 am

From what I understand, ComAir is a subsidiary of Delta. So, yes.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
More importantly, you have to look back at years and years of evidence of a well-run airline. Anyone who thinks 'if we can just get past this high-cost fuel environement' and then start eating WN's lunch is just deluding themselves. I don't even fly WN, but they've got basic managerial, cultural, and structural advantages - outside of a good decision to hedge fuel - that makes them a fierce, adaptable, and able competitor.
I believe WN has favorable work rules with their pilots union, and their other employees are not unionized. Bottom line is that productivity at WN is probably very high compared to the legacy carriers.

DD
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Boy I don't. I kind of like the 767.
I'm with you, indufan. Fortunately, my regular 8AM flight from ATL to SFO is switching from a 738 to a 763 as of Sept 1. I'm not surprised as they were often filling up the 738 and could have sold more seats. They may be consolidating a later flight into the 8AM one too--don't know if that's right. Regardless, I'm happy. I find the FC in the 738 somewhat cramped, and the unbelievably narrow aisle in Y means a steady stream of folks from there constantly filing by to use the FC bathroom.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by ComAirKid
I distinctly remember flying a 738 in 2000 with winglets (i think this is the lightweight wing) from SLC to various West Coast spots. Is this bird still around? (sorry to hijack this thread).
Delta never had any 737s with winglets.
Those CRJs are more or less Delta's seeing as most of them are leased anyway . To be exact, Delta owns Comair and used to own ASA until last week. Both airline were under the seperate banner of Delta Connection, Inc, which manages the regional operations by DL, including outside partners like Skywest, Mesa or Chautauqua, and is technicall the entity of DL that owns the owned CRJs. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about being place on a CRJ on a longhaul flight anymore. Except for a few routes out of SLC, most CRJ routes above 2 hours are operated by the bigger (and IMHO more comfy) CR7. And not to mention the EMB-170s being introduced on the long and thin routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.