Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using skymiles for an upgrade...how to?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Using skymiles for an upgrade...how to?

Hi all. I apologize in advance for my naivety. I'm curious how this works. I see on the Delta site that I would need 5k to upgrade one class from a full coach fare and 10k to upgrade from select fares when travelling between US cities. Then it just says to check with Delta for those select fares.

Is there a way to find this on the website or would I have to call them? I've read the "redemption options" and the "Award & Upgrade Milage" pages but none list the select fares that are able to upgrade. I see the different fare classes and they say "limited, more, and most" upgrade opportunities. But that doesn't really tell me which one I can get away with.

For discussion sake lets say I do get a select fare that is upgradable. How then do I go about applying my skymiles for an upgrade? Is this something that I would be on a waitlist for or is it something done at the time of booking? Is this done online or through the website? I see in "my itineries" it asks if I'm on a waitlist for an upgrade. So I would buy the "most upgrade opportunity" ticket and then just hope to get the upgrade?

Jelliott

Last edited by jelliott04; Jul 12, 2005 at 6:51 pm
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:10 pm

I have a similar question, but more importantly, I'm wondering if there is a good informational website or .PDF that can introduce a newbie to the world of frequent-flying, reservation codes, and tricks. Any links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
I believe you can only upgrade with miles from a Y B or M fare and the award inventory for these upgrades seem to be very limited.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ThisDJ
the award inventory for these upgrades seem to be very limited.
What do you base this on?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by ThisDJ
I believe you can only upgrade with miles from a Y B or M fare
You are correct
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:03 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

You need to buy an upgradeable fare, in M, B, or Y class, on a flight that has availabitity in an upgrade fare bucket (e.g., Z for international Business Class). You can not book this on your own, but you will have to call the award desk. Do not just buy a MBY fare on any random flight hoping for an upgrade, but make sure you can be booked right into the class of service you desire. I have always found the availability of upgrade awards to be good, if you are a bit flexible. The 5,000 miles upgrade from unrestricted coach, Y, is a sucker bet. Y class is frequently almost as expensive as (and sometimes more expensive than) cheap Business and First fares. I use upgrades frequently for international trips, but I am not sure that I would "spend" 10,000 miles (on top of a fairly expensive M or often even B fare) on upgrades to domestic First.

Last edited by jpdx; Jul 13, 2005 at 1:05 am
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by indufan
What do you base this on?
Everything is relative. Upgrade awards use G inventory on domestic. Medallion upgrades use V. G inventory is typically harder to come by than V. I have upgraded numerous international tickets in recent months and often the domestic segments can be upgraded in V but not in G.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
If you are Medallion (FO, GM, or PM) on a Y, B, or M fare, u/g should clear automatically for domestic flights
1) if you've requested it and,
2) if there is u/g availability.
You should be able to make your request for any given flt segment/itin via the DL web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.