Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Mainline 737-800 Aircraft: All Coach Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Mainline 737-800 Aircraft: All Coach Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2001, 1:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
I shot off an email to my contact about this and this was his reply

anyways, to answer your question....there will either 3 or 4 shuttle
aircraft being converted back to Mainline....Not sure which tail numbers
yet, the engineering and planning work is still in the writing phase at the
moment!</font>
This makes sense as there used to be only 10 727s assigned to the shuttle when it flew DCA-LGA or BOS-LGA only. With the 16 current shuttle aircraft and the DCA-BOS service switching to CRJs it should free up that many aircraft.
Old Aug 16, 2001, 1:57 pm

When Delta Shuttle switched over to all 737-800s, some 727s were sent to the graveyard, but some definitely were put back into mainline service. First Class seating and standard mainline configuration were restored, Delta Shuttle titles removed from the exterior, regular Delta markings put back on, etc. I'm guessing much the same will happen to the 737-800s, as B747-438 and his various excellent sources have confirmed!
Old Sep 6, 2001, 8:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Well, I flew DL 1087 from CVG to BHM on September 3rd. It was ALL COACH and painted DELTA SHUTTLE. The gate agents were perplexed and had to deal with people holding what they thought was first class seats. Still checking schedules and the online system shows ALL COACH through the year. I also saw one other SHUTTLE aircraft parked at a gate in CVG. Incidentally, the plane was ok...but I didn't appreciate using miles for First Class and not getting it.
Old Sep 7, 2001, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CALeeIII:
Incidentally, the plane was ok...but I didn't appreciate using miles for First Class and not getting it.</font>
If you used miles for F and flew on a plane that was all Y, call SMS and insist that the miles be put back in your account. This should be a no brainer for the SMS agent.

Old May 1, 2002, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
Delta coach passengers to get a taste of first class

Travel consultant Chris McGinnis gets quoted yet again.

The article does state where the extra four DL Shuttle 737-800s fly though.

------------------
The information I provide is in no way the authoritative voice of Delta. I do not work for Corporate Communications, nor in Customer Care. I do not represent the final word for Delta when asked a question. I simply try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge, and try to direct people to the correct answer and/or point them in the right direction to find that answer. If you want to double check my answers, please E-Mail Delta Customer Care or just send an e-mail to: [email protected]

Thank you for letting me participate.
Old May 1, 2002, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">From Article: "Passengers are told when they book their flights that first-class and upgrades are not available, the spokesman said."
</font>
Um, I don't think that's always the case. I fly the ATL-IAD route quite frequently and mistakenly paid for a K twice in hopes of an upgrade on one of these all-coach birds. I should have simply paid for an L and forgotten about it. I also have a pending CVG-DCA itinerary with the same issue. In fact, when booking the CVG-DCA flight, I specifically asked if upgrade inventory was available. The SMS agent assured me that it was.

What's the word, Russ, is there such a thing as V inventory on one of these all-coach 738s?

[This message has been edited by Just Passing Thru (edited 05-01-2002).]
Old May 1, 2002, 11:54 am

Programs: AA1MMEXP, DL1MMPM, UAExecPrem, IT Gold, Hilton Dia, SPG PL, Marriott Sil, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC5*
My experience has been that they don't tell you in advance whether or not it's a Shuttle aircraft and so you could be stuck having bought a non LUser ticket with no option to upgrade. With that said, the Shuttle config is wonderful - I can certainly deal with it if that were the standard for coach on DL.
Old May 1, 2002, 12:05 pm

One of these 737-800 planes was used the day after the Olympics (a Monday) to get people out of SLC. Delta had three SLC-CVG flights scheduled in a 5 minute window (10:10 am, 10:15 am, and 10:15 am).

Delta managed to cancell my flight the previous day (along with my upgraded first class seat), and then stuck me on on "all coach" ride to CVG (middle seat!).

Yes, I was slightly annoyed with Delta that day!
Old May 1, 2002, 12:07 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I concur. When I booked a trip including those Shuttle birds, I was specifically asked whether I would not want to purchase a higher fare in order to upgrade!
Old May 6, 2002, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
What's the word, Russ, is there such a thing as V inventory on one of these all-coach 738s? </font>
Bump for Russ's attention (I hope).

Old May 6, 2002, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

A suggestion BEFORE buying the more expensive fare in hopes of an upgrade. Book, or start the booking process for unrestricted FC so that you can what the current unassigned seats look like. If there are NONE, or very few, decide accordingly. This process also insures in 99.9% of the cases that there is a first class cabin.

As to the reporter with a headline "getting a taste of first class", what was he thinking. They were still three across vs. two. They still did not get free drinks. They still do not get treated different than coach passengers. What a misleading headline.
Old May 6, 2002, 12:16 pm

Location: Hotlanta, GA; Starwood Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

As to the reporter with a headline "getting a taste of first class", .... They still did not get free drinks.
</font>
I have NEVER been asked for money or a coupon for a drink (I always order a Sam Adams) on a Delta Shuttle flight.

But then again, it could be my dashing young looks
Old May 6, 2002, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
Bump for Russ's attention (I hope).

</font>
Sorry I missed that one. To answer the Q, no there isn't V inventory on these flts. The computer just shows Y through U; and N for coach award seats.

Now in theory, if a pax is already booked in V, then an equipment substitution is made (with an all coach 737-800), then a problem occurs. How it is dealt with depends on the situation.

------------------
The information I provide is in no way the authoritative voice of Delta. I do not work for Corporate Communications, nor in Customer Care. I do not represent the final word for Delta when asked a question. I simply try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge, and try to direct people to the correct answer and/or point them in the right direction to find that answer. If you want to double check my answers, please E-Mail Delta Customer Care or just send an e-mail to: [email protected]

Thank you for letting me participate.
Old May 6, 2002, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Razzle-D:
I have NEVER been asked for money or a coupon for a drink (I always order a Sam Adams) on a Delta Shuttle flight.
</font>
But that was a shuttle FLIGHT. When the shuttle equipment is used for mainline flights, the normal mainline rules are used and could even mean FAST BREAK service.
Old May 6, 2002, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
A suggestion BEFORE buying the more expensive fare in hopes of an upgrade.
&lt;snip&gt;
What a misleading headline.
</font>
What's misleading, IMO, is when you specifically ask if there's upgrade inventory on such an aircraft and are told "yes" by a Delta agent. If we were making these reservations online and simply paid for a K fare without checking on upgrade availability, then you'd be absolutely right. We'd have only ourselves to blame.

But it does seem that DL is incorrectly telling people who ask "yes, you can upgrade on that flight." As I said earlier, I specifically asked if "V inventory" was available on the all-coach flight in question. I didn't ask for a K fare -- I asked about V inventory. Others here seem to have had the same thing happen to them.

Personally, I'd like to know how there can be V inventory if there aren't any V seats on an aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.