Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL vs KE on Transpac

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:32 am
Original Poster

DL vs KE on Transpac

I'm finalizingan itinerary for the summer that brings me transpacific with the choice of KE in C class or DL metal (NRT-ATL) in I class. I've flown Korean a couple of times,a nd it's not bad, but have neve done a Delta Transpacific, so would like to get some input.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:29 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've flown KE in Business but not DL BusinessElite, so I can't give a direct comparison. A few observations, though, that may help. IFE will be better on DL, since DL uses its flagship B777's on the NRT-ATL run, which have in-seat video screens in all seats (not sure if it's AVOD, though) in all classes. DL's BE seats are pretty comfy, I'm told, and an improvement on the first-generation big overstuffed mechanical things KE still uses. Last year KE announced plans to upgrade to the new shell seats now common on long-haul premium services, but the rollout hasn't even started. That said, I found KE's seats comfy enough to sleep well in. Though KE doesn't have individual IFE units, even in Business, they will give Business pax a personal DVD player and a selection of movies to watch in flight, arguably making it equivalent or better than DL's options.

This is stating the painfully obvious but it is absolutely significant. KE is an Asian airline. DL is an American one in very grave financial trouble. DL has been scrimping on service even for premium long-haul pax in BusinessElite-- running out of (the meager, to begin with) breakfast items, for example, on a recent full flight ATL-MAN. KE's FA's will be more devoted to high-quality service. The food will be much better, same for the wine. KE is far from the leading Asian airline, but it remains a full-service Asian airline, with all that that implies.

When I take a MR this Labor Day, it will be a DL-codeshare on KE metal to ICN. Maximizes the SkyMiles, comes with Asian service, and KE has some more attrative flight times than the DL NRT flight.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

thanks

That gives me something to think about.
I wasn't too excited by the JFK-SEL flight I took on KE for sleeping comfort, but, as you say, the Asian airlines do a great job with service. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:51 pm

On a flight that is 12 - 14+ hours, seat comfort is the most important thing to me. In that regard, DL's Businesselite seats on the 777 are superior to KE's outdated business seats in both pitch and recline. Furthermore, DL's 777 BE seating is 2-2-2 while KE business seating is 2-3-2, with the exception of the upper deck on 744s. KE's catering would tend to be superior, however DL's "eat-at-your-own pace" meal service is excellent. DL offers amenity kits in business, KE does not last I heard. The majority of KE FAs I have encountered have difficulty communicating in English. DL's IFE is slightly better with more offerings in English.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Though KE doesn't have individual IFE units, even in Business, they will give Business pax a personal DVD player and a selection of movies to watch in flight, arguably making it equivalent or better than DL's options.
Some of Korean's 744's have in-seat IFE but some do not (where it doesn't they give you the portable DVD player). Flew in C LAX-ICN and in-seat video monitors were standard, flew ICN-ATL and they were not. Both were 744s.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: DL, AA
While others have cited Asian service levels, in a choice between DL and KE, I woulde chose DL. As other have pointed out, with KE you don't always get an aircraft that has in-seat IFE, and even though it was several years ago, I can vouch for that. With DL you know what you will be getting.

Now, if you wanted fantastic service, you could always try and connect through LAX on SQ's LAX-NRT flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.