Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No award travel on AF/KL from 01JUN-31AUG 2005

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 5:29 pm

The blackout makes DL a joke to Europe!

This appears to be a DL only problem. DL is rapidly becoming a joke for flying to Europe. There are many European cities that I have flown to in the past on DL metal than DL does not serve any more except by connections with partners. When a blackout elimniates this partner availibility, it really shrinks the DL network in Europe when you fly award tickets. Faced with that, what idiot who flies a lot to Europe would want to buy a paid ticket from them?

With this idiocy, bring on Aeroflot, and while they are at it, Malev and Tarom and whatever other unattached European carriers are out there. At least, maybe they can provide summer award availibility to Europe.
Old May 10, 2005, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Another push from DL to make me leave to fly some other carrier. What a sorry state of affairs. I will make PM one more time (to get the CRC membership I can use when flying NW!) and then good bye Delta. Maybe I will go NW. Does anyone know if NW has the same blackout?
Old May 10, 2005, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
My bet is that because DL's systems are so arcane that they dont want the agents to have to spend 60 minutes per call trying to find award seats on these carriers.
Nah, they're not spending 60 minutes. A month ago it only took the DL agent 45 minutes to search all possible award seats from the US to Europe in a 7 day window in late May and find there were only three available, all on obscure, awkward routes. Well, maybe it took her 50 minutes, but not 60.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
This is such a shocker. I'm sitting on hold right now with an agent who is trying to get my wife from CDG to Bilbao not on AF....so she is going via Milan when AF (Brit) flies 3 x daily. What a joke. I had booked and held AF SFO-CDG last week. Funnily enough the agent told me that AF availability opened up big time last week and not of course nada.

If it is any consolation try calling UA for a Lufthansa seat across the atlantic - they have imposed the same policy on UA flyers with UA agents says Lufthansa will not release any seats for the summer.
Old May 11, 2005, 2:58 pm

I was under the impression that folks kept awake till midnight 330 days in advance to snag an award tix no ? This late (May 1st week) for a month or so in advance is always been difficult. Or am I missing something ?
Old May 11, 2005, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Air France is one of the few carriers that actually has pretty decent award availability in all classes.
Old May 11, 2005, 10:13 pm

Media

We need to get this out to the media ASAP - Anybody have good contacts ???? This is nonsense. I encourage every member to call and request AF tickets for the "blackout" period and see if they ar eread the script !!!!
Old May 12, 2005, 8:16 am

This is definitely a devaluation of DL miles. It is rediculous to not be able to use KLM and AF in the summer. I'm glad I have almost used my DL miles up. The handwriting is on the wall. Of course its been on the wall.
Old May 12, 2005, 9:37 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
[QUOTE=rcs85551]Effective yesterday, Delta is no longer accepting reservation requests for travel on Air France and KLM during the peak summer period.

According to customer care Delta was not informed of this change. They only discovered this Monday after all their inquiries came back unconfirmed. Delta emphatically states this is an AF/KLM restriction. I'm very troubled that it is only directed at Delta.

I guess this press release wasn't worth the paper it was printed on:

http://www.skyteam.com/EN/aboutSkyte...r/pr042805.jsp

I'll keep digging...
Old May 12, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
Originally Posted by DCFFlyer
I'll keep digging...
AF says it's Delta's restriction but they were sort of vague and more than a little brusque. It makes sense because other airline's frequent fliers, CO, OK, etc., can still book award travel.

Could this be a bizarre cost cutting scheme?

For the previous poster wanting a media contact, try Keith Alexander, the Business Class columnist at the Washington Post.

His articles and contact info. can be found at:

www.washingtonpost.com

Registration is free.

Last edited by DCFFlyer; May 12, 2005 at 10:56 am
Old May 12, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
[QUOTE=DCFFlyer]
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Effective yesterday, Delta is no longer accepting reservation requests for travel on Air France and KLM during the peak summer period.

According to customer care Delta was not informed of this change. They only discovered this Monday after all their inquiries came back unconfirmed. Delta emphatically states this is an AF/KLM restriction. I'm very troubled that it is only directed at Delta.

I guess this press release wasn't worth the paper it was printed on:

http://www.skyteam.com/EN/aboutSkyte...r/pr042805.jsp

I'll keep digging...
Back in October/November
i tried to book a 50k reward, on Delta, to France, for next week
I was told there was no availibility, BUT, there may be additional capacity when Air France formally joined the Skyteam

i ended up finding an air france flight for a total of $601.75, approx $525 in fare + $77 in taxes

but i will be burning off my last 70k delta FF miles in the near future
Old May 12, 2005, 11:31 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 12:37 pm
Old May 12, 2005, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by vinnmann
When award tickets are issued by DL for travel on AF/KL, at what point does DL "pay" AF/KL for the seat, and how does DL pay for it. Would AF/KL be required to transport pax with a paper award ticket issued by DL if DL goes under? If DL doesn't pay for the seat until the flight occurs, and AF/KL would be required to transport the pax with a paper ticket, maybe AF/KL is concerned that DL may go under and not pay for the seats it has issued.

I am just theorizing, and have no idea how it really works. Can anyone share?
I think this is an excellent theory. Indeed, since both airlines seem to be blaming each other, it sure smells like a negotiating stalemate. Maybe AF has asked for quicker payment terms, or maybe DL is seeking to spread out its payments, etc. If this is the case, then the situation cries out for making our voices heard about this being unacceptable.
Old May 12, 2005, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Deleted.

Last edited by jimrpa; May 12, 2005 at 2:59 pm
Old May 12, 2005, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=jessej]
Originally Posted by DCFFlyer
Back in October/November
i tried to book a 50k reward, on Delta, to France, for next week
I was told there was no availibility, BUT, there may be additional capacity when Air France formally joined the Skyteam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.