Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not a big deal, but soooo anoying !

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Not a big deal, but soooo anoying !

Guys, I'm a 5 year platinum with Delta and have just about had enough. Its not the major trauma's, its the minor ones, over and over again.

I've only just joined this board, after hearing about it on XM radio, so I'd be interested in anyones thoughts about the quality of service across the US airlines.

The last 'irritable' was last week, when using a miles ticket, confirmed in business elite to Cancun, from CVG, with, as it stated on the confirmation, a business elite service with breakfast.

Well, we got a domestic type first class seat (certainly not business elite) with no meal, and Delta just tell me ..... tough .... 'sometimes we have to change services as part of our efforts to maximise operational performance'.

I don't care about being compensated, but to tell me tough, we are allowed to sell you one thing and provide another, really gets to me. Add this to all the other 'stupid stuff' they do, and I think I will switch to someone else.

I know other airlines will comp you a ff status equal to my Delta one, in order to get my business.

Any words of advice for the weary delta traveller ?

Thanks Steve.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Welcome to Flyertalk BritBoyInSC!

They actually said "Tough"? Or is that you paraphrasing?

All airlines are going through hard times these days. Maybe you should try another carrier to see if they are better. I'm in a city that has only Delta service so I'm "stuck", but I'm going to stick it out to see who survives and gets better.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BritBoyInSC
The last 'irritable' was last week, when using a miles ticket, confirmed in business elite to Cancun, from CVG, with, as it stated on the confirmation, a business elite service with breakfast.

Well, we got a domestic type first class seat (certainly not business elite) with no meal, and Delta just tell me ..... tough .... 'sometimes we have to change services as part of our efforts to maximise operational performance'.
Hi Steve, can I assume that you are referring to DL1787? This is not a B/E equipped flight nor did DL advertise that you would receive B/E international service. It is a 738 with normal F seats and they advertise a C fare for this trip. It also clearly states on their website that there is no meal served in F. I don't agree with the lack of food service for a C ticket, but that was your decision to make when you made your purchase.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:08 am

Delta is only concerned with staying alive at the expense of its most loyal customers. Better to get $499 for a Business Elite seat than to give it away to a frequent flyer.

I have switched to other carriers. Delta is my airline of last resort.

Such a shame for so great an airline to have fallen so low.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Guys, I'm a 5 year platinum with Delta and have just about had enough. Its not the major trauma's, its the minor ones, over and over again.

I've only just joined this board, after hearing about it on XM radio, so I'd be interested in anyones thoughts about the quality of service across the US airlines.

I don't care about being compensated, but to tell me tough, we are allowed to sell you one thing and provide another, really gets to me. Add this to all the other 'stupid stuff' they do, and I think I will switch to someone else.

I know other airlines will comp you a ff status equal to my Delta one, in order to get my business.

Thanks Steve.
BusinessElite is clearly marketed as a service to Europe, Japan, and deep South America. In North American markets, outside the U.S., Delta only offers Business Class service (which is similar to Domestic First Class service). If any printed materials from Delta indicated that your trip from CVG to Cancun was "BusinessElite" as opposed to "Business", I'd be very surprised. I'm also surprised that, as a long-time Delta Platinum, you weren't aware of this distinction. As for the meal, I'm somewhat surprised. If the flight was marketed with a meal service in Business Class, I'd expect a meal. The answer you apparently got does not make sense.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:15 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 9:08 am
Old May 4, 2005, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah

Thanks Steve.
First off, Welcome to FT!

On the issue of FF status, not many (if any) airlines today will "comp" an equal status at the highest tier level. What typically is offered is to get a comp at the mid tier and/or a "challenge" of flying X miles in Y time to get Z status.

The times, they are a changin'.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Hey, no major problems = no big deal. You're going to get some of the same minor thingies no matter which airline you fly, as there's no way a corporation with thousands of employees and hundreds of daily flights can be absolutely perfect to everybody. and welcome!
Old May 4, 2005, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I also am surprised that a 5 year PM was unaware of the distinction between international "business" service to Cental America and Mexico and BE service. But as I have written many times, DL is responsible for a lot of that confusion. Why does DL call a PVD-ATL flight in a 757 business class just because the plane continues on to MEX? Why does DL call the FC section of a 737 "business"?
Old May 4, 2005, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Why does DL call a PVD-ATL flight in a 757 business class just because the plane continues on to MEX? Why does DL call the FC section of a 737 "business"?
Same with DL479 SLC-LAX next month, 737, 16 seats upfront, designated "business."
Old May 4, 2005, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Here's my DELTA emailed confirmation

Thanks guys,

Seems to be a little doubt about what I actually reserved.

First, the majority of my travel is international to Asia and Europe, so I have close to zero experience of travel to Latin/South America.

Second, here is the exact text they sent me when I confirmed;

Delta confirmation #: PQFK14

Passenger(s):
(1) SMITH,STEVEN SkyMiles ID: 221XXXXXXX PM
(2) DOUGLAS,SHARON

Day/Date Flight Status Carrier City Time Seat Class Meal
--------- ------ ------ ------- ----------------- ----- ------ ------- ---------
Fri 29APR 1787 OK Delta LV CINCINNATI 907A B Elite Breakfast
AR CANCUN 1037A

Mon 02MAY 326 OK Delta LV CANCUN 130P B Elite
AR ATLANTA 502P

Itinerary copy only. The ticket may/may not be issued.

For further information visit http://www.delta.com

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
This e-mail message and its contents are copyrighted and are proprietary
products of Delta Air Lines, Inc.. Any unauthorized use, reproduction,
or transfer of this message or its contents, in any medium, is strictly
prohibited.

__________________________________________________ ________________

This is a post only e-mail. Please do not respond to this message.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Business Elite with breakfast .... seems pretty self explanatory to me.

The issue that bugs me most is no acknowledgement that in business it is just plain wrong to confirm one level of service, and without warning, provide another.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

Steve.

Last edited by BritBoyInSC; May 4, 2005 at 2:25 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 4, 2005, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

They did quote Business Elite

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Hi Steve, can I assume that you are referring to DL1787? This is not a B/E equipped flight nor did DL advertise that you would receive B/E international service. It is a 738 with normal F seats and they advertise a C fare for this trip. It also clearly states on their website that there is no meal served in F. I don't agree with the lack of food service for a C ticket, but that was your decision to make when you made your purchase.
Yes they did, see a copy of their confirmation email.
Old May 4, 2005, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Check out my email above ... Business Elite and meal confirmed ?

Originally Posted by vinnmann
I don't think you will hear CVG-CUN advertised or sold as Business Elite from DL. According to this page where BE service is provided is pretty well defined. They call the forward cabin on flights to CUN business, but not Business Elite.

As far as the food is concerned, I think it has been pretty well noted by DL that they removed meals from most flights. I think they assume that the infrequent flyer will verify all aspects of the trip and learn this, and the frequent flyer would be flying, and therefore visiting DL.com often enough to learn this. However, this still doesn't stop one's stomach from growling half way through a flight where a meal was anticipated, but not received.
Old May 4, 2005, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Be surprised ! see my email above

Originally Posted by jimrpa
BusinessElite is clearly marketed as a service to Europe, Japan, and deep South America. In North American markets, outside the U.S., Delta only offers Business Class service (which is similar to Domestic First Class service). If any printed materials from Delta indicated that your trip from CVG to Cancun was "BusinessElite" as opposed to "Business", I'd be very surprised. I'm also surprised that, as a long-time Delta Platinum, you weren't aware of this distinction. As for the meal, I'm somewhat surprised. If the flight was marketed with a meal service in Business Class, I'd expect a meal. The answer you apparently got does not make sense.
Old May 4, 2005, 2:46 pm
Suspended

When did you make the reservations? Several flights had equipment changes / time changes / etc. when they made all the changes a few months ago when they implemented Simplifares. I had an itinerary booked in Business Elite from CVG-LAX that is now a basic domestic first. If you booked before the schedule changes, its likely there was an equipment change.

Was it still showing as business elite service when you checked online or called to confirm your flight status 3 days before departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.