Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Man sues Delta for being seated next to obese passenger.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man sues Delta for being seated next to obese passenger.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL DM (where is my Diamond Tiara?)
Originally Posted by Cholula
For all you Stephen King fans, what was the fictional city in Maine where he based many of his novels?
There may be a prize for the correct answer.....
Derry

I've read all his books.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I spend a lot of time in the Bangor, ME area...which is still Stephen King's home. I have yet to meet him but I have seen his multi-million $$ home on the hill overlooking BGR.
Here's my suggestion for the book title:

Cujo Devours Emaciated DL Pax.

For all you Stephen King fans, what was the fictional city in Maine where he based many of his novels?
There may be a prize for the correct answer.....
Derry?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyin'Mom
Derry

I've read all his books.
I was 3 minutes late.

And Thinner was a Stephen King novel. http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/list_written.php
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by AllanJ
But if you ooze into their space ... you are a terrible irresponsible inconsiderate pig who should be thinking of them and their comfort.
Yes if you go past the far edge of the armrest, regardless of whether your figure is like a yield sign or an inverted yield sign.
Yes, I feel you are right. Both are equally uncomfortable for your fellow passengers. But one is accepted and one is vilified.

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Ring Dings (tm)?
I think they are the same thing just have different names in different parts of the country. I don't eat stuff like that, I don't really care for sweets. Unless we're talking chocolate...that's a whole 'nother subject.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
I was 3 minutes late.
If there is a prize I'll share it with you Traveller.
Unless it is chocolate. I don't share chocolate.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:54 pm

Programs: Delta GM/CRC; IC Platinum RA; Fairmont Premier
The criteria should be...

I was on a RJ in the exit row and I'm a large guy, but it isn't from eating as much as it is from training. (6'3" 220) Now the seats are narrower than my shoulder width so I'm never comfortable. I was staring out the window when suddenly I'm thrown against the bulk head. This morbidly obese guy sits next to me. Instead of controlling his descent into the seat he let gravity accelerate him to terminal velocity which knocked me over. He the attempts to secure the two ends of the seat belt, but they are shy of meeting each other by a foot or two. I thought this will be my best RJ ride to date. I eyeballed the aircraft searching for an empty seat to move to, no dice. The FA comes by and gives him a seat belt extender, initially. Luckily I was sitting on the window side of the exit row because in a real emergency I am afraid there would be no escape out that exit. Later, the flight attended moved the passenger to a rear seat because she stated the same thing I was thinking. "Sir, any customer requiring the use of a seat belt extension is forbidden to sit in the exit row." etc, etc. He was replaced by a diminiutive pilot, and I thanked the FF deities for my good fortune. So the moral of this story if you are to big to sit in a seat and use the provided seat belt then you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you, and thus shouldn't be allowed to fly.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there is a prize I'll share it with you Traveller.
Unless it is chocolate. I don't share chocolate.
Thanks Mom, but you won fair and square! And chocolate isn't just for breakfast anymore.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Derry

I've read all his books.
Actually, I was thinking of Castle Rock, Maine....a town that exists only in Stephen King's delightfully twisted mind.

Originally Posted by TidewaterTraveler
I was staring out the window when suddenly I'm thrown against the bulk head. This morbidly obese guy sits next to me. Instead of controlling his descent into the seat he let gravity accelerate him to terminal velocity which knocked me over. He then attempts to secure the two ends of the seat belt, but they are shy of meeting each other by a foot or two.
I don't even want to think of this!!
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:18 pm

Actually, I was thinking of Castle Rock, Maine....a town that exists only in Stephen King's delightfully twisted mind.
Oops Traveller...looks like we both jumped the gun on thinking we had the winning answers.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Traveller
I was 3 minutes late.

And Thinner was a Stephen King novel. http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/list_written.php
Technically "Thinner" is Richard Bachman's
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Oops Traveller...looks like we both jumped the gun on thinking we had the winning answers.
Well, I really need to reconsider. Your responses caused me to do a little research on Mr. King.
And he seems to use both Derry, ME and Castle Rock, ME in various books...neither of which exist.
So you guys were right to a degree.
But, as I've posted on other threads, the Golden Rule rules here. He who has the gold...or the winning prize...rules....
So sorry. Castle Rock, ME is the winner......

Originally Posted by thesaints
Technically "Thinner" is Richard Bachman's
Which is, of course, a pen name of Stephen King.

Back to the thread subject at hand....."Man sues Delta for being seated next to obese passenger".
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by lennon
However, I do feel that one of the armrests should be mine to do with as I please; there are 3 seats but 4 armrests - shouldn't one of the armrests belong to the middle seat? The aisle and window people seem to forget this.
If I'm in the window I usually try to get by with just the window-side armrest. So there, not everyone forgets.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:05 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
The FA comes by and gives [the morbidly obese passenger] a seat belt extender, initially. ... Later, the flight attended moved the passenger to a rear seat .
Wouldn't the heavy passenger in the rear be more of a problem during an emergency for which a seat belt is relevant, compared with being in the front?

I don't eat stuff like that, I don't really care for sweets. Unless we're talking chocolate...that's a whole 'nother subject.
TV commercial.
(Scene 1 picture) Average looking guy sitting in an airplane seat. F/A and snack cart beside him.
(sound) "Ring Ding, Ring Ding, wish I had a Ring Ding"
(Scene 2 picture) Guy munching on snack, then close up of the wrapper showing the manufacturer's name, I forget whether it was Drake or Hostess.
(sound) Narrator describing how luscious the thing is.
(Scene 3 picture) Same guy, much more bloated, oozing into the next seat, arm rest has been raised, only part of next pax showing but enough to show annoyed expression on his face.
(sound) "Ring Ding, Ring Ding, wish I had another Ring Ding"

(The pictures described are my imagination, the script is actual from back in the 1960's.)

BTW Ring Dings have a lot of chocolate, and yes I eat chocolate for breakfast sometimes.

Last edited by AllanJ; Mar 24, 2005 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:26 am

I was on a RJ in the exit row and I'm a large guy, but it isn't from eating as much as it is from training. (6'3" 220) Now the seats are narrower than my shoulder width so I'm never comfortable.
You can't have it both ways. If your shoulders are too wide for the seat, you should buy a second seat, just as you want obese people to do. Training and having big shoulders as opposed to a big butt does not make you morally superior to obese flyers.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta GM/CRC; IC Platinum RA; Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by sibley
You can't have it both ways. If your shoulders are too wide for the seat, you should buy a second seat, just as you want obese people to do. Training and having big shoulders as opposed to a big butt does not make you morally superior to obese flyers.
No problem I just either roll my shoulders forward or position myself at a slight angle to decrease width. If a FA says I have to buy another seat, so be it. I wouldn't have any problem with the airlines charging by the kilo then the whole process would be fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.