Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

What Will Happen to Our SkyMiles? The Uncertainty of the Future of Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Happen to Our SkyMiles? The Uncertainty of the Future of Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
flyerfan, First, right now there's a lot of catastrophization and speculation. Seocndly, if DL were bought out, it would be up to the buying airline as to whether it took on the debit represented by members' accrued SkyMiles.

I was active in TW's Aviators program - with quite a few miles. When AA bought TW out, they both announced AA had agreed to "assimilate" Aviators into AAdvantage. We were told to be sure both accounts matched in information, and soon enough, my miles became AAdvantage miles. AA even gave another year or so of grace to us - so sometimes, it's not so bad - at least in this case.

Cheers,
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
I'm sure this question has been asked -- and answered -- in other threads, flyerfan. Sure you could lose everything if Delta went under, but that isn't likely. (If you want to really worry about something, consider this: with 30 days notice any airline could totally abandon their frequent flyer program. Just because it's "possible" doesn't mean it is "probable.")

Airlines make money reselling miles to telephone companies, retail partners, hotels, etc. In addition, bankruptcy protection is different than bankruptcy liquidation, and the airline wants to emerge from bankruptcy protection with a loyal customer base intact.

Nevertheless, you may want to consider a flight somewhere. (Besides, what good is it to have several hundred thousand miles just sitting in your account? You earned them - go use them!)

Last edited by miles addict; Sep 9, 2004 at 4:02 pm
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:00 pm

this topic has been discussed ad nauseum in the us airways forum, and still comes up regularly.

however, for the forseeable future, at worst, DL will file for chapter 11, and in that case it is business as usual as far as skymiles are concerned, similar to what happened with the US and UA bankruptcies.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerfan
After getting the news of Delta thinking about chapter 11, I often wonder what would happen to our SkyMiles. Would the airline that buys Delta take over the miles with discount or they become useless? I am pretty new to the FF program and have not experienced a bankruptcy of an airline FF program. FF program gurus, pls share your experience.

There are airlines such as UA who are currently in Chapter 11 and their FF’s are actively earning and burning their miles. Others like US have emerged from Chapter 11 and, again, no effect on their FF’s miles.
This is no guarantee for the future but I’d say you have nothing to worry about in the short term. Several posters in the Forum are sitting on SkyMiles balances in excess of a million miles. And nobody, as far as I know, is pushing the panic button.
Keep an eye on this Forum in the future. If you see a lot of these-> in threads on the future of the SkyMiles program, THAT will be the time to start panicking.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by miles addict
I'm sure this question has been asked -- and answered -- in other threads, flyerfan.
Edited to add: Cholula beat me to this one, but I'm sure he knew I'd be along with an answer soon enough!

You're right miles addict. It's been asked dozens of times.

flyerfan, Chapter 11 allows the airline to reorganize its debts and obligations under court protection. It does NOT mean the airline will cease to operate. CO has reorganized twice under Chapter 11, UA is operating under Chapter 11 today, US has recently exited Chapter 11 and will likely file again soon. No one in any of those programs has lost a FF mile. DL will be around for awhile regardless of whether they file Chapter 11 or not. Sleep well, your miles are safe!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DLfan
You're right miles addict. It's been asked dozens of times.
If I remember right, all in the same thread.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:35 pm

Thank you for the insights and such quick responses. I feel lot better now. I guess...
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerfan
Thank you for the insights and such quick responses. I feel lot better now. I guess...
I won't name names but several of the replies to this are from people are SkyMiles hoarders.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Relax.

This is the third time that I am posting this in as many threads:

I flew Continental Airlines during the worst years in its history (late 1980s – early 1990s), and not only was I happy with their service during those years, but they served champagne on the flight I was on when it was announced that day that Continental Airlines officially had emerged from bankruptcy.

Some of those OnePass miles were earned on Eastern Airlines.

I still have more than 150,000 OnePass miles, plus more that is currently being used for an award trip.

My PanAm miles converted into Delta Frequent Flyer miles, which I shortly after instructed Delta Air Lines to merge into my existing account.

I have enough USAirways Dividend Miles for a round-trip award ticket anywhere in the United States, including Hawaii.

I never worried about my American Airlines miles, even though they never declared bankruptcy. However, some of those miles were earned on American Airlines. Others came from Trans World Airlines, and still others came from Reno Air.

I allowed my United Airlines account to lapse years ago when there was no way to extend the expiration date of my miles, but then again I only had 400 miles left in the account anyway after I transferred them into my Hilton Honors account at an incredible promotional rate, just before many of those miles were ready to expire. If I had miles in my United account today, I would not worry at all.

Speaking as a veteran who has had miles in accounts from companies which either declared bankruptcy, went out of business or was acquired by another company, I have not lost one mile due to any of those factors. Do not worry! The only time I have ever lost miles was from accounts which I allowed to expire, such as United (as described above), Midwest Express and America West — none of which I had enough miles with which to do anything.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
This is the third time that I am posting this in as many threads:
Canarsie, maybe its time for the Definitive 'What Will Happen to My SkyMiles if Delta Files Bankruptcy?' sticky thread. As DL edges ever closer to filing, more and more folks will come to this forum to ask exactly that question (as was predicted here months ago). A sticky on the subject would save everyone a lot of time.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:57 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
With tongue firmly in cheek and with the most humble apologies to Johnny Cash and his Ring of Fire

If Delta can no longer fly
What happens to the flyer guy?
Driven by my flying style
I built up a million miles...

I better start burning all my miles
Burn 'em fast, fast, fast
For me, my wife and child.
And we burn,burn,burn
Our SkyMiles
Our SkyMiles

Free trips can be so great
Fly now, if it's not too late
I flew you for twenty years
Oh, but the end is near..

I better start burning all my miles
Burn 'em fast, fast, fast
For me, my wife and child.
And we burn,burn,burn
Our SkyMiles
Our SkyMiles

I better start burning all my miles.....[etc]

Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
I've always personally thought the bankruptcy possibility is just a chess game Delta is playing with the pilots. I hope I'm right. Some of you may have heard this but Clark Howard was predicting that in today's airline economy that the days of the unlost miles may soon be a thing of the past if US Air, UA or Delta goes under. His recommendations, of which I have yet to follow, was to not renew your rewards credit card on the three in trouble, stop accumulating any of those miles and redeem them ASAP if possible for travel on a partner airline. Of course I used my Skymiles card several times during the course of business today and will do so again tomorrow. Habits are hard to break and I'll take my chances.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
As the mutual funds like to say, "past performance is not a predictor of future results." Just because things were done a certain way in the past does not mean they will be done that way next time around. The possibility of a frequent flier being burned by a defunct airline is a real one.

I'm not going to stop participating in these programs, but I am a little more cautious than I once was. Instead of earn, earn, earn, I now prefer to earn, burn, earn, burn.

Furthermore, as cash savings appreciate and miles stay the same or depreciate, it makes sense to hold onto your cash and spend your miles. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:20 pm

Worry about award travel 3 months out

I am far more worried about my 5 FC award tickets ATL-HON in May 2005 than I am my current SkyMiles balance.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by BertBamboo
I am far more worried about my 5 FC award tickets ATL-HON in May 2005 than I am my current SkyMiles balance.
Wow. Congratulations on scoring 5 FC awards to Hawaii! Were those SkySaver tickets and all on the same flight? That would be welcome news to some here who still claim SkyMiles are impossible to use.

Just curious, but why are you worried about those tickets? Do you think there is a realistic chance that DL will cease operations before then? Or terminate service to Hawaii?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.