Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL bans noise cancelling headphones under 10,000 feet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL bans noise cancelling headphones under 10,000 feet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
because of possible interference with the electronic equipment in the cockpit.
Do they really expect us to believe that a multi-million dollar modern jet aircraft will have it's electronics go haywire because of HEADPHONES? Puh-leaze!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Cholula, put your phone on your television, turn them both on, and call the cell phone. I keep my phone by my computer speakers so I know if I'm getting a call well before the phone actually rings.

I guess the ironic thing about all this is that they won't let you keep them on your head even if they're off, but you could have them turned on and in the seatback pocket and nobody would know.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:04 pm
dlf

Programs: AA Plat 3MM, DL PLT, Mrt Plat, IC Amb Gld. Hil Gld,Hy Gld, AS MVP Gld
Two flights yesterday---MCO->ATL, and ATL->LAX--enjoying Bose all the way with no hassles. Also saw several others in blissful slence.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:43 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I keep my phone by my computer speakers so I know if I'm getting a call well before the phone actually rings.
This only started happening to me when I changed servises to a GSM phone.
With my previous service, Verizon, it never gave me a heads up.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:49 am

For those of you using Bose...

This "clarification" was posted on the InFlight web site:
The following clarification to this policy is provided to address differences in the equipment of at least one manufacturer...

The intent of the guidance included in OBM bulletin #4 was to address the electronic aspect of noise reduction headsets. Apparently some noise reduction headsets, specifically those manufactured by Bose®, are capable of having the noise reduction electronics turned off. In this mode, the headphone is converted to serving as non-electronic hearing protection equipment instead of electronic noise reduction equipment. Passengers are allowed to wear non-electronic hearing protection during all phases of flight.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Originally Posted by FoPAA
This "clarification" was posted on the InFlight web site:
The following clarification to this policy is provided to address differences in the equipment of at least one manufacturer...

The intent of the guidance included in OBM bulletin #4 was to address the electronic aspect of noise reduction headsets. Apparently some noise reduction headsets, specifically those manufactured by Bose®, are capable of having the noise reduction electronics turned off. In this mode, the headphone is converted to serving as non-electronic hearing protection equipment instead of electronic noise reduction equipment. Passengers are allowed to wear non-electronic hearing protection during all phases of flight.
Well, my cheapie NCH (>$50) also has an "off" switch.
Are they only allowing the Bose?

The final two sentences seem to indicate otherwise. But because they specifically indicated the Bose, now I'm confused.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by javajunkie

The final two sentences seem to indicate otherwise. But because they specifically indicated the Bose, now I'm confused.
I use Sennheisers that also have an on/off switch. Will I have an issue with them?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:21 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by javajunkie

I would argue that your are ok. Here is my logic:

The text states "Apparently some noise reduction headsets ...". The use of the plural implies the recognition that there is more than one brand. It then uses Bose as an example (bad use of the word 'specifically'). The intent seems to be to identify a class of headphone that allows explicit deactivation of the "noise reduction electronics". By allowing this deactivation, the headphone is essentially inert and qualifies as "non-electronic hearing protection equipment" instead of "electronic noise reduction equipment". Then stating "Passengers are allowed to wear non-electronic hearing protection during all phases of flight.", at least to me, allows for the use of any headphone that qualifies for the class of headphones described, whether of the Bose brand or not.

Best regards,
MB

Last edited by mowgliboy; Dec 7, 2004 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:34 am

Cool Bose Noise Canceling Head phones

I had a Southwest flight 1-1/2 months ago and they said trun off all elctronics exceot hearing aid and noise canceling head phones.

I had a delta flight 2 week ago and the said trun the off.It would be nice if they got their act together
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:40 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Powelltodd
I had a Southwest flight 1-1/2 months ago and they said trun off all elctronics exceot hearing aid and noise canceling head phones.

I had a delta flight 2 week ago and the said trun the off.It would be nice if they got their act together
Welcome to FT. You do realize this is a 7 year old thread, right?

In any case Delta allows noise canceling headphones turned on above 10,000 feet. They need to be turned off below 10,000 feet but can still be worn. All this is in the in-flight section of Sky magazine.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
This is ridiculous. Next thing you know they'll make us take our shoes off to go through security.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AIRcop
Is there any scientific evidence or emperical credible data that really shows that any electronic device 'may interefere' with the aircrafts instruments? Or, are all these rules to keep junk out of your hands and laps in case of an emergency? If its really the latter, why can't they just say this. If there isn't any former, for example, why lie?
Yes, there are reports both research and anecdotal that show that electronic devices "may" interfere, but the probability is very low. But that is not the point. During critical aircraft movements (takeoff, initial climb, final descent, landing, etc) the regulations sensibly require that any electronics onboard must be certified as to show they do NOT cause interference, which is a very different thing from merely showing absence of evidence that they DO cause interference. The lack of interference experienced is also not attributable to the benign nature of consumer electronics but rather to the robustness of the EMI/RFI immunity designed into avionics.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
This is ridiculous. Next thing you know they'll make us take our shoes off to go through security.
hehe
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:10 pm

I hadn't heard it but had mine on as recently as Friday with no hassles. I think most of this is a crock anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
How do they know if the noise cancelling is on or not anyway? I have Bose noise cancelling headphones I love, and if I want to sleep right away or have noisy kidsnearme near me or am in Y with 2 seatmates that are talkative, I like to keep the headphones on with the noise cancelling off until we reach 10,000 feet to help block the noise out.

A couple times I have had FA's ask me if they were turned off. Only time I was told to remove them was a couple months ago sitting in an exit row. The FA said I couldn't have headphones on so I could hear announcments in case of an emergency (yet they weren't concerned about an emergency over 10K feet????). I have had them on other times in an exit row with no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.