Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Do DL's FA's care if you swap F & Y seats during the flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

My wife and I have an itinerary coming up for the holidays where it appears that only one of us will be upgraded for a particular flight. Has anyone ever been hassled by a DL FA if they were trading F & Y seats with their spouse (or anyone one else) during the middle of the flight?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
My wife and I have an itinerary coming up for the holidays where it appears that only one of us will be upgraded for a particular flight. Has anyone ever been hassled by a DL FA if they were trading F & Y seats with their spouse (or anyone one else) during the middle of the flight?
I've seen folks hassled when they switched with a buddy who would sit down, immediately order a drink, and then switch again. I imagine if you don't abuse the situation in such a fashion, and you're not particularly swarthy, you won't cause much alarm. Sadly, the latter is likely to raise concern these days...
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Has anyone ever been hassled by a DL FA if they were trading F & Y seats with their spouse (or anyone one else) during the middle of the flight?
My wife and I do this with some frequency. I've even swapped with three of my kids at different times when I was in FC and they were in coach, just to give them a taste of it. There was never a problem. I am sure, however, that if you abuse the system, as Erasmus said, they might be a complaint.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:04 pm

I did this last month on a flight out of LAS. Asked at the gate, even let us both board in Zone 1. You're probably best off saying something to the boarding agent and then each just assuming the seats like they're actually yours.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mtparadis
You're probably best off saying something to the boarding agent and then each just assuming the seats like they're actually yours.
I don't think this is required. The boarding agent likely will not even tell the F/As on board, and regardless, they don't care.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtparadis
I did this last month on a flight out of LAS. Asked at the gate, even let us both board in Zone 1. You're probably best off saying something to the boarding agent and then each just assuming the seats like they're actually yours.
I am speaking about a trade during the middle of the trip, not at the gate.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I still don't think it is an issue as long as there is not a parade back and forth. I have seen people do this in the past and no one said anything.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:40 pm

Sorry, misread the post... darn basketball game on tv. Yeah, I don't think it will be a big problem switching mid flight. I agree with the other posters iin that you should not make a big deal out of it, and the FAs won't care.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:32 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
This has been debated at FT before. IMO, it is kind of tacky to switch mid-flight. There is no issue with switching for the duration of the flight, which I have done with ease on numerous occasions.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:36 pm

I am not sure about Delta but AA claims that the TSA requires all passengers to remain in their ticketed cabins--period.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andymo99
IMO, it is kind of tacky to switch mid-flight.
When you get married for better or for worse , you will discover that compromise is extremely important. Therefore if you are ever faced with a flight on a transcon and only one of you will be upgraded for 5-6 hours, trading seats mid-flight is the proper thing to do. Getting upgraded is important to all of us. Call it tacky if you wish, I call it a quality of life issue.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:24 am

When you get married for better or for worse ,

. Call it tacky if you wish, I call it a quality of life issue.
Quality of many things issue too
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
My wife and I have an itinerary coming up for the holidays where it appears that only one of us will be upgraded for a particular flight.
Hey....wait a minute.
Do they know who you are??
Being a Moderator on the Flyertalk DL Forum has got to be worth something.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cholula
Hey....wait a minute.
Do they know who you are??
Being a Moderator on the Flyertalk DL Forum has got to be worth something.
Yes they do, because when I board the plane they refer to me as #4 because I was the only GM in the "Gang of Four". at the infamous SSM meeting in the CRC at EWR. The other three at that meeting were PM's.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
When you get married for better or for worse , you will discover that compromise is extremely important. Therefore if you are ever faced with a flight on a transcon and only one of you will be upgraded for 5-6 hours, trading seats mid-flight is the proper thing to do. Getting upgraded is important to all of us. Call it tacky if you wish, I call it a quality of life issue.
Why don't you just give it to your significant other for the whole duration then maybe next flight you ride in FC the whole duration and take turns? Seems kinda silly. I like FC as much as the next guy, but a few hours in coach never killed anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.