Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade on AF (ORD-CDG) or DL (CDG-BOM)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade on AF (ORD-CDG) or DL (CDG-BOM)

I'm typically an AA flyer, but AA is kind of weak into India. Normally I can persevere and get on BA, SWISS, or CX into and out of India, however, this time of year (Nov-Dec) the availability and pricing seems to go in Delta's favor.

This is again the case for a trip scheduled on Oct 30. My outbound priced out cheaper with Delta and it's partners than AA and it's partners. I have 14,927 miles, from the last time this happened.

In my researching the archives it seems that you can upgrade on the AF codeshare. This is not allowed on any AA codeshare so I was quite surprised. But this leaves me with a decision.

Am I better off upgrading the AF leg from ORD-CDG, or am I better off upgrading the DL leg from CDG-BOM.

I'm already booked in paid J class. The charts seem to suggest that it will cost me 15K miles for each upgrade. I couldn't find an upgrade award from N.A. to India. Is this correct?

Also, I assume that there is a way to to buy the last 73 miles for the award, or does Delta have an allowable slush at the award level when you are that close? --- I haven't done an archive search on that one yet...but will.

Thanks in advance I appreciate everyone's help.

Wantok
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:21 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Lightbulb

From the DL Upgrade page:

Between the 50 US, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico AND Europe
One-way, One-Class Upgrade From Full Economy Fare1 15,000 (D431)
One-way, One-Class Upgrade From Select Fares1 25,000 (D531)
Between the 50 US, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America AND India
One-way, One-Class Upgrade From Full Economy Fare1 20,000 (D451)
One-way, One-Class Upgrade From Select Fares1 25,000 ( D551)

Does DL even have 3 classes CDG--BOM?

Also, Vanilla has 15K DL to trade/get rid of here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364776
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Didn't see that one for US-India

Ooops, I didn't see that they had a 20K award for upgrade.

I guess I just assumed that Delta offered "F" on this flight. The last time I took this plane out of BOM. It stopped for an hour in CDG. Then we re-boarded it and continued on the same plane to JFK.

Does DL not do F in and out of CDG? If it doesn't then can I upgrade to F on AF?

This was an assumption on my part that I didn't even think to question. With DL having a such a strong presence and partnership at CDG with Air France I just assumed things were 3-class service there.

Thanks again,
Wantok
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:07 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

Wantok, I've just called DL for you & she told me that CDG--BOM on DL is 2-class (Eco & BizElite, which is marketed as F at a J fare ) . So only your AF flights are upgradeable. Also, an AF woman told me that the main difference between their F vs. J is the flat beds in F vs. recliners in J; food & drink are the same.
For more info, please call DL & let them help U.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
My view point

I have flown both AF to CDG in Biz and DL from CDG to BOM in biz

AF has a really crappy J class product, but it is the overnight portion of your flight. DL has BE to BOM, which is nice, but it is during the day... so the daypart may help you decide as well.

My thought is this... if you rough it on AF in J to CDG you will be utterly exhausted in CDG that you will NOT need to upgrade to BE on DL because you will sleep all the way to BOM...

Not that I am the biggest DL fan (see handle) but can you fly DL all the way?

Otherwise stay in J class and just be glad you are not in coach...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.