Wiki Posts
Search

Delta or KLM from JFK to AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:54 pm
rstoerger

Delta or KLM from JFK to AMS?

Could use some help here.

I want to upgrade using either Delta miles or Amex points from coach to F (or BE) on a round-trip (JFK-AMS). I checked out KLM and the aircraft they post is a 777 (which they claim has a really excellent seat and service).

Both DL and KLM flights cost around $1200 in full-fair coach (Sun depart - Fri return Y on DL, B on NW/KLM). If I leave Sat., KLM goes to $400 in Q. DL's Q is $622 but I don't think I can use miles or points to upgrade from Q on DL. I don't know anything about KLM.

All I know is that I want to fly up front, use some type of points for the upgrade (lowest possible amount), all the while paying the lowest possible fare. For what it is worth, I would also like to garner at least 1 for 1 MQMs.

Thanks,

Richard

Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by rstoerger
I checked out KLM and the aircraft they post is a 777 (which they claim has a really excellent seat and service).
Most on the KLM forum disagree on this subject...

KLM's 777 has a 2-3-2 layout up front, and award seats tend to be more often than not in the middle cluster

Besides, that cabin feels crowded and anything but luxurious. Their 747 (which you could fly on your return leg) is a much better choice IMHO, unless IFE and a hard lie-flat seat are absolute priorities.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are you sure you can use DL miles to upgrade on KL??
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:01 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I flew JFK/AMS in Y and it was quite bearable, It is also a very short flight (but then I view these things from a west coast perspective). I cannot address KLM's service, but really, my experience flying DL from JFK/AMS was a walk in the park. Just try for exit row, if possible (www.seatguru.com)
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:48 am

If flying upfront is your priority, I would fly DL. KLM's meal service is a one tray afair where they remove the appetizer course and replace it with your entree selection.

Plus no ice cream on KLM. DL's service upfront is far superior IMHO and thus would choose DL over KLM if the price difference is not huge.

But as Obscure said, coach to AMS is bearable.

Dan

Last edited by dan1431; Sep 29, 2004 at 2:37 pm
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
I'd go upfront with DL if the catering service is back to normal!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Unfortunately you can't use DL SM to upgrade on KLM...SkyTeam awards are only for free tix...
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Since I care nothing for the generally uninteresting IFE nor the airline food, I base my choice on the time of the flight and the comfort of the seat. In those areas, KLM (if the 747) wins hands down.
The 1115PM flight from JFK leaves at an optimum hour for those of us who like to stop in town for a nice dinner and then go out to Queens to the airport to go directly to sleep, instructing the FA not to bother us at all until touchdown. Arrival is at a very civilized noon AMS time and you are there having had a full night's sleep ready for brunch at a real restaurant, with the balance of the day spread before you.
I dislike the flights like that of DL that leave at 630PM because I don't get tired enough to sleep until just a few hours before arrival and am not much good the next day. The old WBC seats on the KL 747s happen to fit me better than most of the others, so I would not bother with any other service to AMS.

Last edited by monitor; Oct 1, 2004 at 3:15 pm Reason: To again remind all that DL BE service is 6 across on the 767.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.