Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with KE 777s in biz?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Any experience with KE 777s in biz?

I see that the KE/DL codeshare flights (whether booked as DL or KE) between ICN and SFO and DFW operate on 777-200s that are sold as C and Y, but the aircraft I believe are configured with three classes, meaning that they're prob putting some pax in the F seats (but providing C class services). Does anyone have experience with this? How difficult to get booked into the F section. Most airlines will try to get their freq flyers into this section.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Be careful with Korean... On the 777, they sell it as a 2-class product (C and Y) but have 3 cabins, F/C/Y... If you purchase a "Business Plus" fare from them (additional 10%) then you are automatically seated in the F cabin and allowed into the First lounge in Incheon... otherwise you will either sit in the C cabin or if the flight is oversold have a shot at being put in F.

When I flew C, there were folks with F class award tickets who were made to sit in the C cabin - I thought this was thoroughly unfair but KE maintained they didn't sell F tickets on the flight, and only allowed those with paid full fare Business or Business Plus tickets to sit in the front cabin.

The difference in seat between C and F is not that huge from what I saw. I flew Y outbound through LAX on a 747 and it was godawful, C return nonstop on a 777 was not bad, about a 140 degree recline. From what I remember, all the ICN-DFW routes are all 777s with this 3-class-sold-as-2-class configuration.

The service definitely left something to be desired - only one of the F/As spoke any english at all, and what she did know was very broken. Ordering drinks was rough... at first they brought us milk instead of beer.

The food was fine - the Korean choice was pretty good, the "Western" meals looked average.

The front cabin appeared to have cocoon-like seats that reclined further... possibly full recline, I'd call Korean and ask. The food and wine selection was the same, however.

No offense to Koreans, but selling flights like this really is something only Korean would do...

Last edited by platbrownguy; Aug 3, 2004 at 8:29 am Reason: KOREAN! I meant KOREAN, not KOREA!
Old Aug 3, 2004, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Thanks. I think SFO-ICN also operates with the 3-class 777, but sold as 2-class. Did you try to book C in the front section (F seats), either in advance or at the airport?

A few airlines currently (or used to) operate similar services (selling 2 classes on 3-class aircraft), including SQ (on some A-310 routes), Asiana, AA, TG, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:22 am

Post removed b/c it is no longer relevant.

Last edited by El Boocho; Aug 3, 2004 at 9:24 am
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
...becareful.
I meant Korean, really I did. Edited above.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
I flew in Business Class from ICN to ATL a couple yrs ago, and found the service to be excellent. It was definitely a 3 class airplane, but I don't think there was a huge difference between F and C. 777 is a nice aircraft, though I prefer 47's for Bus. Class because its fun to fly upstairs :-)
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:26 pm

I flew KE 777's twice last year, ICN-MNL and back both times in C, this was before all the Business Plus stuff. The flights were three class at the time, with a mostly empty F section. As far as I can tell, F and C seemed to be really similar in seat width, pitch, and service.

Compared to my LAX-ICN segments (on 747's) the seats were quite a bit more comfortable on the 777's.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by AeroDD
I flew KE 777's twice last year, ICN-MNL and back both times in C, this was before all the Business Plus stuff. The flights were three class at the time, with a mostly empty F section. As far as I can tell, F and C seemed to be really similar in seat width, pitch, and service.

Compared to my LAX-ICN segments (on 747's) the seats were quite a bit more comfortable on the 777's.
So here's the deal. On 777s it's sold as 2-class but it's really Coach/Business/"Premium-First-aka-Business-Plus"... on 747s it's straight up Y/C/F, but on these flights the C and F are very similar. The Premium First/Business Plus product which you have to either pay more for or be on KE's special-people list to get on with your C fare, includes cocoon-like fully-flat beds with increased amenities.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
So here's the deal. On 777s it's sold as 2-class but it's really Coach/Business/"Premium-First-aka-Business-Plus"... on 747s it's straight up Y/C/F, but on these flights the C and F are very similar. The Premium First/Business Plus product which you have to either pay more for or be on KE's special-people list to get on with your C fare, includes cocoon-like fully-flat beds with increased amenities.
No You have it reversed. The 777 is a 3-class plane sold as 2-class but the first class seats are not the 180 degree flat beds. They recline about 160-165 degrees compared to the standard 140 degree for business class on KE. The seats are definitely more comfortable than the business seats. You can get the "first class" seat by paying the so called business/first fare which is a little more than full C fare or you can get the seat by being Skyteam Elite or Elite Plus. This is how I have always flown in these seats. I simply ask at the airport.

The 747's have the true Premium First seats. 180 degree flat seats. These are sold as "P" class.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by TMOTEE
No You have it reversed. The 777 is a 3-class plane sold as 2-class but the first class seats are not the 180 degree flat beds. They recline about 160-165 degrees compared to the standard 140 degree for business class on KE. The seats are definitely more comfortable than the business seats. You can get the "first class" seat by paying the so called business/first fare which is a little more than full C fare or you can get the seat by being Skyteam Elite or Elite Plus. This is how I have always flown in these seats. I simply ask at the airport.

The 747's have the true Premium First seats. 180 degree flat seats. These are sold as "P" class.
Ack. This is getting all too confusing... I'm flying KE LAX-ICN-LAX in C in a couple of weeks (747) and the DL agent told me they offered Y, C, and F fares... but then again, I'm in C and the OP's question is about C so I guess we'll both at least get what we pay for.

If you've flown on a 747 and that's the plane with the P, then I stand corrected.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Ack. This is getting all too confusing... I'm flying KE LAX-ICN-LAX in C in a couple of weeks (747) and the DL agent told me they offered Y, C, and F fares... but then again, I'm in C and the OP's question is about C so I guess we'll both at least get what we pay for.

If you've flown on a 747 and that's the plane with the P, then I stand corrected.
To make it even more confusing, only some of the 747's have the flat bed's up front. When I flew JFK-ICN...yes. NRT-LAX...no. Both 74's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.