Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2004, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
Champagne

I have just been reading the BA forum and the pairticipants are bemoaning the replacement of Krug Grand Cuvée with Perrier-Jouët Belle Epoque.

In the Delta forum the only f&b substitutes we get to complain about are lack of warm nuts and ice cream sundaes!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Those spoiled rotters!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
At least BA has class, and a classic british service style. In many ways BA today has many shades of what DL used to be (minus the Britishness). If I lived in Europe or was living within the greater BA network, i'd switch from DL to BA, but being based in the US and southeast US, it makes little sense.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by heckler
If I lived in Europe or was living within the greater BA network, i'd switch from DL to BA, but being based in the US and southeast US, it makes little sense.
While that might sound good in theory heckler, I doubt it would work for you in practice, unless the Government has relaxed the U.S. flag carrier requirement for Government travellers.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Originally Posted by DLfan
While that might sound good in theory heckler, I doubt it would work for you in practice, unless the Government has relaxed the U.S. flag carrier requirement for Government travellers.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Been awhile for a good bottle on an a/c.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by heckler
If I lived in Europe or was living within the greater BA network, i'd switch from DL to BA, but being based in the US and southeast US, it makes little sense.
Grass on the other side of the pond is always Greener I'd take VS anyday over BA -
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Been awhile for a good bottle on an a/c.
I'm not a big champagne drinker but Mrs. Cholula enjoys a glass or three.
On international flights, as you all know, champagne is usually the only pre-flight alcoholic beverage offered.
I've been served some great champagnes on AeroMexico which always comes as a surprise. I don't equate Mexico with champagne and would guess they'd just blow it off but they do try hard to offer a superior FC experience.
We're flying AF in FC on an upcoming trip and there I'd expect a truly superior product. Anybody have any experience on the champagne/wine offerings in FC on AF??
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
On international flights, as you all know, champagne is usually the only pre-flight alcoholic beverage offered.
No, we didn't all know this. I learn something new here all of the time.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
No, we didn't all know this. I learn something new here all of the time.
Preflight, the FA's walk around B/E with a tray of champagne and mimosa's. On the rare occasion I've tried to score a real drink, the response is that the liquor supply is locked up due to local reg's or something of that nature.
indufan, you really have to get out more often. Might I suggest a B/E trip to VCE so you're no longer an DL International Virgin??
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:27 pm

Does DL serve champagne on the BE flights LAX-JFK?

AF gives Nicholas Feuillette to it's economy passengers, but that was almost 4 years ago.

I, too, was amazed when I was on a Mexicana flight and got champagne poured into a real glass in economy. I don't remember the brand, but I do remember that it was a good one.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
We're flying AF in FC on an upcoming trip and there I'd expect a truly superior product. Anybody have any experience on the champagne/wine offerings in FC on AF??
When is your flight? I am flying AF FC early August and can report, but was told that just like they used to on concorde, they alternate between Krug and Dom Perignon
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:07 am

Preflight, the FA's walk around B/E with a tray of champagne and mimosa's. On the rare occasion I've tried to score a real drink, the response is that the liquor supply is locked up due to local reg's or something of that nature.
indufan, you really have to get out more often. Might I suggest a B/E trip to VCE so you're no longer an DL International Virgin??
Let's be technically correct here. What DL serves pre-flight is generally NOT champagne. It is sparkling wine that they call champagne. On a flight out of CDG, I once sat next to a French citizen to whom this distinction was important. He asked the FA for champagne. Upon delivery, he tasted it and promptly corrected her, 'This is sparkling wine and it is incorrect to call this champagne.'

They do show a real champagne selection in the Vinum book, so I guess they break out the real stuff after take off or perhaps with DLs efforts to improve of late they have taken to offering the real stuff pre-flight, too.

And not that Cholula would know this or care, but that tray of "champagne and Mimosa's" also contains plain-jane orange juice.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by DLfan
And not that Cholula would know this or care, but that tray of "champagne and Mimosa's" also contains plain-jane orange juice.
What a waste of perfectly good orange juice......
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:15 am

What a waste of perfectly good orange juice......
I cannot vouch for the quality of the OJ. It may, or may not be "perfectly good". I've never tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.