Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Flight Number, Yet a Roundtrip. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Same Flight Number, Yet a Roundtrip. Why?

DL 4646 and others I have unfortunately had the displeasure of enduring lately, leave me wondering about the flight number being used twice.

DL 4646 is ATL-PIA and then PIA-ATL.
Why not use two flight numbers?

Is it to say we have fewer "communter" flights, although 4646 is clearly two segments?

Anyone have insight?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 3:56 am
Suspended

Perhaps it has something to do with work rules or reducing labor expenses. Just a guess.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:12 am

What a golden chance. Go from ATL to ATL and start raking in miles
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:21 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Is this just a partner issue? My wife and I noticed this a few months ago booking legs between DFW and IAH. That is with Chautauqua (love that name) Airlines. I know nothing of mainline doing this though. I agree with an above poster who said it might be labor related. Interesting question...confusing reservation...
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by miler
What a golden chance. Go from ATL to ATL and start raking in miles
Actually, given the rules for "direct" flights, this might yield ZERO miles. They have been doing this for a while now on a lot of flights. Does it matter why they are doing it or does it have any effect on anyone?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:29 am

I have a reservation on DL 333 between JFK and SJU in February. The outbound and return are both flight # 333. First time I had noticed this, where both flights have the same #.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Actually, given the rules for "direct" flights, this might yield ZERO miles. They have been doing this for a while now on a lot of flights. Does it matter why they are doing it or does it have any effect on anyone?
It doesn't really matter as it has no real impact on your earning of SkyMiles, MQM's or anything else.

As to why DL is doing it, number conservation. DL is starting to run out of four digit flight numbers. The CO/NW codeshare is eating up lots of numbers, then add in the existing codeshares with AF,AZ,KE,JM,AM,etc. Then add in all the new RJ flights DL is constantly adding (new cities like HVN,TVC,EUG,BPT,etc) and even more numbers get eaten. DL also needs room for when new SkyTeam codeshares start (KLM is coming and eventually Aeroflot).
Old Jun 7, 2004, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by seat 50J
Perhaps it has something to do with work rules or reducing labor expenses. Just a guess.
I wish I could come up with an answer to this one, but I can't... But I can tell you that it has NOTHING to do with work rules... Both FAs and Pilots are scheduled and paid by leg flown. The flight numbers make no difference.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
It doesn't really matter as it has no real impact on your earning of SkyMiles, MQM's or anything else.

As to why DL is doing it, number conservation. DL is starting to run out of four digit flight numbers. The CO/NW codeshare is eating up lots of numbers, then add in the existing codeshares with AF,AZ,KE,JM,AM,etc. Then add in all the new RJ flights DL is constantly adding (new cities like HVN,TVC,EUG,BPT,etc) and even more numbers get eaten. DL also needs room for when new SkyTeam codeshares start (KLM is coming and eventually Aeroflot).
I agree, flight numbers are starting to get scarce.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
USAir Express does it too

I lost an argument with my mother a couple months ago when she told me her CLT-BHM and BHM-CLT flights were the same number. I can't come up with a reason for it.

Last edited by BamaVol; Jun 8, 2004 at 7:21 am Reason: corect speeling
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:48 am
WMR

DL # 5322 CVG-MHT and MHT-CVG
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I lost an argument with my mother a couple months ago when she told me her CLT-BHM and BHM-CLT flights were the same number. I can't come up with a reason for it.
Last edited by BamaVol : Today at 1:21 pm. Reason: corect speeling

Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Unusual flight numbering - DL508

DL now offers a second round trip from JFK to SEA each day (this is good if you travel this route). The new flights, DL 508, use the same flight number for both directions (this is odd).

At JFK, the automated pre-flight departure messages announced "flight 508, service to Seattle, with continuing service to New York Kennedy."

Seems like this can only cause confusion. Anyone have any idea whats going on?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:15 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
It's called a "round robin" and is difficult with seating if a third city is involved since it is confusing which direction a particular person is going.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:53 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by NYBanker
DL now offers a second round trip from JFK to SEA each day (this is good if you travel this route). The new flights, DL 508, use the same flight number for both directions (this is odd).

At JFK, the automated pre-flight departure messages announced "flight 508, service to Seattle, with continuing service to New York Kennedy."

Seems like this can only cause confusion. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Song does this with flight 2094 JFK/MCO/JFK route.....easy to see how late it may be leaving here (FL) by checking number to see when it left there.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.