Wiki Posts
Search

Shake up at Skymiles, Rob Borden out

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by robnsfla
I mean complete liquidation is possible 24 months out ???
Does anyone think this will happen?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Does anyone think this will happen?
No.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Were you able to maintain contact with Mr. X?
Contacts help
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
...Allow day of departure upgrades using miles or certificates at the gate for international travel. Everyone knows that this policy is a joke. Also allow online booking for international award travel. DL certainly has the technology to do this.
Although a bit off topic, I'll share a recent observation of mine on this point.

There are two reasons that I've heard for not offering same-day upgrades - catering issues and departure taxes.

I was in BCN earlier this week on business with several colleagues (and several thousand other investment bankers) - and several of my colleagues travel plans changed during our stay. One of them booked their return on a DL-operated flight in paid J the morning of the flight - of course, with no "same day" problems. When she returned to NY (BCN-JFK), I asked her if they had food for her on board. She looked at me funny, and confirmed that they did. Clearly, DL can handle short-notice changes to the load in J.

In terms of departure taxes being different for pax in different classes (which is the case in certain countries), I understand that can be an administrative burden - but it can't be that difficult to figure out. Other carriers allow for same-day upgrades on international flights.

Implementing unlimited space-available J upgrades on internation flights, by a priority scheme similar to the domestic upgrades, would be a great, low cost, true enhancement to the program. (Perhaps someone on an H fare could even get an upgrade!)
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
JonNYC,

Always enjoy your most informative posts on the AA board, but in this case, given that the new CEO at Delta is showing a goodly number of people the door, and given that the airline has a goodly number of disgruntled elites and former elites thanks to SkyMiles changes initiated by Borden, I suspect Borden may have been invited to advance his career and leave.

In my industry, one of the worst insults about someone who has gone away is: "Both organizations have been improved by his departure." Perhaps he will Vice President in charge of sitting by the door at his new place of employment.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL PM & Kryptonium, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Goodbye Delta FF

Delta drove me to Southwest a long time ago.
Gouging fares out of CVG (most expensive in US)
Grumpy flight attendents
Now lack of check-in personnel (please use the sign in screen)
and those DAMN CRJs replacing almost every flight I take anymore - give me a roomy Southwest 737 anyday.

I drive 2 hours to IND, CMH, or SDF, give my kids the free ticket I earn everyweek, and pay for my vacation with the money I save not flying Delta
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum
What's the problem?

The new program has helped me...In the past I would just barely make GM...Now I am on track to hit Platinum!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:04 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally Posted by fastfil1
The new program has helped me...In the past I would just barely make GM...Now I am on track to hit Platinum!
Great for you! The new program does help a few FFs, but the airlines itself is in a shambles.... What exactly in the new program is helping you so much? (I am not atacking you, just want to know which features are of improvement to you..)
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JRF
Great for you! The new program does help a few FFs, but the airlines itself is in a shambles.... What exactly in the new program is helping you so much? (I am not atacking you, just want to know which features are of improvement to you..)
Well, there are lots of people that are helped out by the new program, specificially MQMs. Take someone flying M class out of CVG, not flying M because of the MQMs but flying M because it is the cheapest available. If they take non-stop flights to the west coast once a month under the segment plan, they would only be FO, under MQMs they would be easily GM.

Actually, if I can keep my butt off of RJs (not a direct SM issue) on flights of more than 400 miles AND if DL would give me upgrades back at the time of purchase for K+ fares, I would be a very happy camper.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 1:47 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by milemaker
Its not 1987 anymore and they have pretty much eliminated most of what they get in the merger anyway. SLC is is current state is not that great of a hub. I think you will probably see more traffic and an emphasis on LAX instead.
Funny, since LAX was a large hub under Western but now is not under DL.

I am not so sure about SLC going bye-bye for the following reasons:

1) Jerry G. is a former WA employee.

2) SLC (and environs) is a fast growing market (thanks in part to LDS child-bearing ideas).

3) SLC is a city that sends alot of folks elsewhere and back for missionary work. And the growing numbers of non-Utah-based LDS members will want to visit SLC.

4) There are alot of DL shareholders in SLC, thanks to the WA merger, just like there are now alot of Boeing shareholders in SoCal and St. Louis now.

5)SLC gives DL access to a share of the western market, i.e. I *can* go LAX/SNA/ONT-SLC-SEA/YVR on DL. Neither NW nor CO allow this on their metal (although both(?) codeshare with AS along the West coast). Shut down SLC and I'm gonna have trouble earning SkyMiles travelling anywhere west of IAH or MSP.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 3:04 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by JRF
The new program does nothing for me. But if you live in atl and can grab some of the a fares you can make pm with out spending a lot. That was the idea behind mqms wasn't it?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
So when is DL going to start the LAX-SFO service? or is that something thats never going to happen?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
So when is DL going to start the LAX-SFO service? or is that something thats never going to happen?
WN dumped that market a few years ago due to excessive delays in and out of the SFO airport. I don't think DL has any opportunity to make $$'s flying that route with the gazillion flights a day WN operates between the other S. CA airports and OAK.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
This was a great route--doubt that we will see it again.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
"The Ticket" newsletter has finally confirmed mikey1003's news flash only today. Mike, you have better sources than the press.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.