Search

3,000 miles Online Check In Offer problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
3,000 miles Online Check In Offer problems

I have attempted to use the online check in option several times. I typically get my tickets at the last minute and with Delta's tendency to overbook flights, I do not always receive a seat assignment. Without a seat assignment, you evidently cannot use the online check in feature. I do not understand this, as when this situation occurs and I use the kiosk, it simply prints a boarding pass that says "seat assignment requested". I searched the web site to find any reference to limitations with on line check in. Other than the 24 hour window, I could not find any. As a matter of fact, they say that you can do this in their faq :

Can I use Online Check-In if I do not have a pre-assigned seat?
Yes. You will be able to select a seat while using Online Check-In, otherwise a seat will automatically be assigned to you.

Can anyone else point me to something that might ahve those rules?
On Friday, I again attempted to use the online check in, since I had a seat assignment. I received a screen that told me "System unavailable."
I called customer care to see if I could get credit for these attempts, as I will likely not reach the 3,000 mile offer limit. I was told that they cannot give credit for past flights and that I would have to contact the executive offices by letter or fax. Delta's customer service seems to just be going further and further downhill.
Also, I have not received any credits for the times I was able to use the online check in. Has anyone received the 500 miles credit yet?
Old Apr 1, 2004, 3:17 pm

None of mine have shown up yet.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
It takes 6-8 weeks for them to post it at then end of the promotion, so it takes a long time. It doesn't post automatically like it should.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL-S,NW-S,*W-P,6C-Pl&RA
Lightbulb

Most of the time I have had no issues using the on line check in. I fly and use Delta frequently and on occassion have security hold that requires me to go to the counter.

As a Delta Gold I am uncertain why it seems on a regular basis I get the security screen code each time this has occurred. My understanding is that the Delta ticketing software is making the decison not the TSA.

Does anyone have have any light to shed on this?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
If I check in on-line for the 3:30 Shuttle from LGA to DCA but get to the airport in time to make the 2:30, will I still get the promotion bonus? In other words, will manual intervention -- which is necessary to switch me from one flight to another -- prevent the bonus from posting? Anyone want to guess the answer (I don't know)?

Bruce
Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:03 am

I think that the manual intervention nullifies the on-line check in. I assume that this is tracked when the flight is closed out in Delta's system. Since you did not fly on the flight that you checked in for on-line the system does not know that you used on-line check in. This was the way that it worked when DL had a similar bonus for using the kiosk. I once checked in at the kiosk, my flight was cancelled and I was rebooked in the Crown Room. No kiosk check in. No bonus.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
So if I do online check in and then have to use a kiosk to re-upgrade, do I lose my online check in bonus too?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Or if I use the online check-in and then get a more desireable seat at the CRC or gate, does that nullify the online bonus?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:13 pm

I just printed extra copies of the boarding passes so that if I changed anything at the airport that required a new boarding pass to be printed, I can still prove to Delta that I did online check-in. I have a good feeling that I am going to have to fax in copies of the flights I did online check-in to get these miles to post after the promotion waiting time (6-8 weeks?) expires.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I just tried to do online check-in for my flight tomorrow, I don't have a seat and there are no available seats. I get the message:

We cannot assign your seat at this time. Seat assignment and check-in must be completed at your gate.

When is this offer over?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Traveller

When is this offer over?
4/30/04, https://www.delta.com/skymilesenroll...sp?offer=oci3k
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I had a problem when I did two Song R/Ts in a day (NY-Fla, as it happens). managed to get both outbound degments online, but neither return.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 3:45 am

Its a bug not a feature

Originally Posted by bdschobel
If I check in on-line for the 3:30 Shuttle from LGA to DCA but get to the airport in time to make the 2:30, will I still get the promotion bonus? In other words, will manual intervention -- which is necessary to switch me from one flight to another -- prevent the bonus from posting? Anyone want to guess the answer (I don't know)?

Bruce
It is a bug - Fixed in the next release

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.