Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

is DL @ JFK just getting worse every day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is DL @ JFK just getting worse every day?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
I love the JFK Sucks threads. FWIW, JFK can be awful or it can work just fine IF YOU LEAVE ENOUGH TIME. If NYC is your home port and DL is your home in the sky, here are some points that might make it better for you.

Avoid checking into T3 and work with T2 whenever possible.

Car Drop Off - T2 is covered and if you are traveling domestic with luggage, there is curb side check in. Either way, I have never seen domestic or BE check-in to be a zoo. As for security, if there has been a long line (20+ people), I have in the past gotten a DL agent to open a priority line - I just ask nicely.

If you are using the Tram or self-parking in the lots across the street - and the weather isn't awful, Tram users take the lift to the lowest level and proceed to to the right (facing the terminal) toward T2 and then cross the road at the middle of T2 (wait for the light;-). As you enter T2 on the lower level, elevators to the departure level are to the left. There are ramps that make rolling baggage or carts easy.

In horrible weather, use the front of T3 if parking or taking the Tram. Once you have your boarding pass, should the security line be long, ask a DL agent for help to the front (assuming you have status and/or are flying up front). It has worked in the past for me.

Navigating T2 to T3 is not that bad - about a 15 minute walk from the farthest sides. Navigating to T4 - I have done this from both T2 and T3. Leave yourself time if you are flying out of T4 as the buses run every 15 min. or so and the ride with exit to the terminal is about 10 min. The run to T4 can chew through 30 min. Do not wait in a SC until 10 min prior to boarding if you like to be among the first on the plane.

I suppose that things in JFK will get more difficult before they get better simply because DL occupies the oldest terminals and at the same has increased capacity out of JFK (for NY DL flyers, I love the expansion as I no longer need to fly TATL home via ATL or CVG while looking out the window over NY, knowing I would have to back track later on that day.

As for Priority bag tags, they aren't supposed to work on domestic travel. On TATL travel, they work most every time, unless my bags are going through CDG;-)
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Good points

Originally Posted by avflyer
I love the JFK Sucks threads. FWIW, JFK can be awful or it can work just fine IF YOU LEAVE ENOUGH TIME. If NYC is your home port and DL is your home in the sky, here are some points that might make it better for you.
As with all things New York, the trick is setting expectations to match reality, but we O&D passengers are lucky we don't have to deal with layovers at T2/T3.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by avflyer
FWIW, JFK can be awful or it can work just fine IF YOU LEAVE ENOUGH TIME.
I understand your point, but the question most of us non-New Yorkers have is how can the authorities of one of the world's most important and high profile airports, as well as the political leadership of the area, allow it to be so chronically inefficient and difficult to navigate?

I mean, you have to allow enough time at Cairo as well, but I expect that there. I would hope that after over a decade of this mess with Delta and JFK somebody, somewhere would have the gonads and intellect to get it fixed so that there are alternatives other than simply leaving enough time to navigate a mess.

Despite being so sophisticated in so many ways (and reminding those of us elsewhere in the nation of how sophisticated it is), New York can collectively bury its head in the sand when it comes to some things. This is one of them.

And I will be the first to say that Delta management hasn't really done much to drive a fix of things at JFK, either.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
The problem is the layout of JFK just as it would be at LHR or CDG or for that matter, any sizable airport that was built in the mindset of the outside Mall. Security and navigation from terminal to terminal was not really planned for but rather added on.

That said, if you are transiting from one terminal to another at JFK, just like any other airport that isn't connected terminal to terminal via underground (post security) light rail/bus, you will need to exit security, transit and re-enter security, luggage or not. JFKs light rail works reasonably well (I have flown out on DL only to return via say UA and then go collect my car).

If you are stuck at JFK for a long layover, like any airport, lounge access will help but only to a point. I have sat in a CDG AF lounge for four hours and it was warm and not well ventilated.

As for DL at JFK, they are the oldest two buildings left standing and due for renovation. Why these two are last I don't know. I imagine that the move to T4 is to begin this transition but can't be sure.

Remember that before this economy Delta was in BK and the buildup in NY and European expansion is a byproduct of plans developed in BK. You can't really blame the NYPA (who runs the airport) for not wanting to invest hundreds of millions not know for certain the future of the tenant.

Eventually both T2 and T3 will change but that simply won't change the nature of JFK.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler

You sure it was LAX? All LAX flights depart out of Terminal 4, usually gates B20, B22, or B24.

OT: I discovered there is an "Express Spa" in one of the galleria shops near the T4-B security CP. They're a bit expen$ive, but I've found a 15 minute back & neck massage does wonders prior to a JFK departure. Just wish it was cheaper.
It was a few months ago and as I said ... a bus gate ... so there was clearly something going on since they boarded a 757, a 767 and our MD88 to BOS through the same bus gate.
Anyway, 1 gate agent and complete chaos ... as you can imagine.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I understand your point, but the question most of us non-New Yorkers have is how can the authorities of one of the world's most important and high profile airports, as well as the political leadership of the area, allow it to be so chronically inefficient and difficult to navigate?

I mean, you have to allow enough time at Cairo as well, but I expect that there. I would hope that after over a decade of this mess with Delta and JFK somebody, somewhere would have the gonads and intellect to get it fixed so that there are alternatives other than simply leaving enough time to navigate a mess.

Despite being so sophisticated in so many ways (and reminding those of us elsewhere in the nation of how sophisticated it is), New York can collectively bury its head in the sand when it comes to some things. This is one of them.

And I will be the first to say that Delta management hasn't really done much to drive a fix of things at JFK, either.
Very well said ^
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:50 am

I had my first experience originating in JFK last week--I think in T3. On top of that, it was around 5:00 PM, and I know that many international flights, especially to Europe, depart around then. (I was only going to DCA.)

What I cannot understand is how they can only have two machines at the security checkpoint. The line for security was unbelievable. People arriving from abroad must think they've come to another third-world country.

The 45-minute wait in line for takeoff was more understandable given the time of day.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Bitter much?

Really, though... in my experience pretty much all airports suck. You have the advantage of knowing how much JFK sucks, though, and can plan around it. For those of us who live here, JFK is a necessary evil, and we plan around the annoyances.

I feel for the tourists I see trying to figure out how to transfer from one terminal to another, though. I've seen them dragging their luggage along the roads with no sidewalks!!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Too bad a clean sheet airport built out over the water isn't possible. Sometimes I wish NYC could build a new airport like the ones in Asia to replace JFK & LGA. NJ can keep EWR .
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stencil
Bitter much?

Really, though... in my experience pretty much all airports suck. You have the advantage of knowing how much JFK sucks, though, and can plan around it. For those of us who live here, JFK is a necessary evil, and we plan around the annoyances.
Necessary? EWR & LGA are a short subway/cab/helo ride away......no one should be forced to deal with DL at JFK, that is just cruel and unusual punishment
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by socrates
Necessary? EWR & LGA are a short subway/cab/helo ride away......no one should be forced to deal with DL at JFK, that is just cruel and unusual punishment
I hate JFK but LGA and EWR are far worse in my opinion. I wish DL would return to ISP so that I would not have to visit T2/T3 again.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by stencil
Really, though... in my experience pretty much all airports suck.
A rather broad brush... Some are even moderately pleasant. I think that JFK, CDG, and LHR are some of the least pleasant when it comes to flight transfers, due to sprawl and chaos.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Dreps

What I cannot understand is how they can only have two machines at the security checkpoint. The line for security was unbelievable. People arriving from abroad must think they've come to another third-world country.
My thoughts exactly. As an American, I am embarrassed to send international clients through JFK. So much so that our company policy is to avoid JFK when booking for said clients.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
I hate JFK but LGA and EWR are far worse in my opinion. I wish DL would return to ISP so that I would not have to visit T2/T3 again.
EWR- Terminal A reminds me of JFK...terminal B while looking 50 years old is 49 years ahead of JFK...terminal C is 100 years ahead of JFK (not to mention the new and improved PC's CO has in C...they are also 100 years ahead of the SC's in JFK, as was the WC...I walked into the CRC once and immediately headed across the hall to the WC)
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
The only way to make a JFK visit more miserable is to fly from there to Mumbai. It is such a special experience to visit the two WORST airports in the world in a single flight.

I cannot understand why Delta thinks this NY hub is so important. Or is it simply a matter of their inability to get slots at Newark? And then they add insult to injury by staffing the place with rude and indifferent people. I agree that Atlanta is a breath of fresh air after a visit to JFK.

Delta's JFK hub drives my international business elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.