Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

More dilution of benefits to Platinum Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More dilution of benefits to Platinum Medallions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
??? DL has actually given a number of 20% usage at the DL DO. That came from Delta so where is the conflict??

Dl also made the statement that the PMU's were "broken" and they knew it.
Interesting, but they really have not done much about it.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by troyintn
Interesting, but they really have not done much about it.
Yes, we could say the same about the worst-in-class performance of DL.COM...and instead of making honest efforts to address its severe shortcomings, instead DL makes it more difficult to use their phone service to work around it!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice
If DL gave me 32 PMU I still couldnt/wouldnt use them as the friggin required fares are outrageously. It shows how out of touch the DL Marketing Dept is as relates to their customers intelligence.

MisterNice
K fares are outrageous?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:40 pm

Deleted. Decided to use ignore function instead and drop another former NW elite who never adds anything constructive to the conversation.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Deleted. Decided to use ignore function instead
I am not being fecious at all: Well done.

If more people just let posters say their piece these threads would not spin out of control. Contrary to popular belief; it is NOT the fact that people air their grievances here (and at Festivus) but the constant commentary on the validity of their issues that turn these threads hostile.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Deleted. Decided to use ignore function instead and drop another former NW elite who never adds anything constructive to the conversation.
You mean constructive, like this post?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
K fares are outrageous?
No, they are not. On the other hand, unless you have a cross-country trip it really doesn't matter if you are upgraded or not. Given my choice between getting SWUs to use on short hops (like ATL-JFK) or 20,000 SkyMiles I will take the SkyMiles every time.

On the other hand, where I would be very happy to use the SMUs, like on TLV-ATL flights, I would have to buy at least an M fare, and the prices for those are, indeed, outrageous.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Call me stupid, but I'm not sure quite exactly how SWU's and PMU's work. Doesn't DL have complimentary upgrades anyway? Their site says that all elites are upgraded from their classes of service in a complimentary manner.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369
Call me stupid, but I'm not sure quite exactly how SWU's and PMU's work. Doesn't DL have complimentary upgrades anyway? Their site says that all elites are upgraded from their classes of service in a complimentary manner.
1. That (with some minor exceptions) is only true on domestic flights.

2. You are never guaranteed a complimentary upgrade. Whether you get one or not depends on how many F seats are available and how many people are ahead of you on the list (because of their status and the type of fare they hav bought). An SWU would put you ahead of someone who has a higher priority for a complimentary upgrade.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 7:54 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I hated them too........... Until I learned how and when to use them. Now I love them.

Excellent for trans pacific.....
I may get to PM by this year end.
Should I go for the PMU / new SWU? or the miles?
If I can get upgraded anyway for being PM, is this worth it?
I can only see Int travel as being useful and even then these are not transferable like the AA VIPs which are valid or any fare or the UA SWUs, which make them more valuable.

edited
Sorry I missed the previous 2 posts- most of my questions were answered.

The PMU is useful then when you think you would NOT get upgraded on the domestic long-hauls. So if I am right, book K fares at least and use the SWU. So the equation is perhaps if you are a PM get the SWUs and if you are a DM, do not, as your chances are the highest for a free upgrade.

If I have SWUs I understand that I can't give them to my friends / family unless they accompany me.

Last edited by ffI; Sep 19, 2009 at 8:00 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I hated them too........... Until I learned how and when to use them. Now I love them.

Excellent for trans pacific.....
I'll send you my six....no, wait, unlike other SWUs, DL's aren't transferable. Best in class indeed.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by sxf24
Are you personal friends with the majority of DL's 75K+ status mile customers? How do you know they haven't used PMUs, particularly when this conflicts with what DL has said...
Huh???? Jeff... Robertson... that is, has said that 80% of PMs do not use their PMUs! That, coming straight from the horse's mouth makes it pretty clear that GUWonder is right! I ask you to please do a search before you attack a regular of FT who knows more than most of us!

PMUs are a bad bonus!!! They make no sense as they are. Can we move the discussions to why they are so bad? I'll vote to give two reasons:
  1. M fares have risen (and DL keeps doing it, as recently as 2 weeks ago when they found what Jeff must have grumbled as being a cheapo M fare) to astronomical numbers.
  2. They are not transferable
But I am sure, other will give additional reasons....
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
K fares are outrageous?
K fares? Who wants to use PMUs for domestic flight? We're talking SYSTEM Wide, i.e. international. M is the lowest fare you can use and DL is of the opinion that any M fare below $2500 is peanuts cheap and should be doubled!!!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Huh???? Jeff... Robertson... that is, has said that 80% of PMs do not use their PMUs!
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider

Since many of you asked about the systemwide upgrade certificates at the road warrior event, I thought I would share a few more specifics around these. Up through the end of this year, all Platinum Medallions will continue to receive six Platinum Medallion upgrades just as they do today – no changes.
Hmmm...on Nov 4, I will go over 75,000 MQMs. I will be upgraded to Platinum on Nov 7. It will take a minimum of three weeks until my Plat credentials, and SWUs arrive (my Gold, which I earned on Aug 27, still has not gotten here). That brings me into December and I will not be flying to the States that month.

(In fact, even if I were to get the SWUs on the day that I make Plat, I still would have no more US flights left in the year.)

I imagine that there are quite a few people, like myself, who manage to reach Plat only on their last flight of the year. Together with the high M fare rates, that could help explain why they are not used.

(Unless I am wrong and they will be good for all of 2010. Can someone tell me?)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
Hmmm...on Nov 4, I will go over 75,000 MQMs. I will be upgraded to Platinum on Nov 7. It will take a minimum of three weeks until my Plat credentials, and SWUs arrive (my Gold, which I earned on Aug 27, still has not gotten here). That brings me into December and I will not be flying to the States that month.

(In fact, even if I were to get the SWUs on the day that I make Plat, I still would have no more US flights left in the year.)

I imagine that there are quite a few people, like myself, who manage to reach Plat only on their last flight of the year. Together with the high M fare rates, that could help explain why they are not used.

(Unless I am wrong and they will be good for all of 2010. Can someone tell me?)
The DL systemwide upgrades earned (for the 75k-c. 124k MQM activity credited this year) will expire at the end of February 2011. They will be good for all of 2010 as long as you get them on or before any DL flight activity you have in 2010.

Primarily due to the customer-unfriendly fare restrictions on them, DL's systemwide upgrades mostly expire worthless. Other reasons they go unused are a distant cause compared to the fare restrictions.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 20, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.