FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/981281-honolulu-hnl-sky-club-definitive-thread.html)

DLFlyer64 Jul 28, 2009 11:07 pm

HNL SkyClub

What do you guys think about this SC? It looks like the renovated the interior and it looks quite nice. My favorite club here used to be the Continental President's Club, but now I would have to say its this SC.

GeorgiaBelle Aug 2, 2009 5:19 pm

Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

I had never been in the HNL Sky Club, but had long layovers twice this week and thought I'd share some observations since the agent told me this was their first week in a new Sky Club location.

-Club is hard to find because signage is not yet posted. Even the airport security guard I asked pointed me to the old location. It is now in the garden area below the terminal with other airline clubs (JAL, etc.)

-Drinks are self serve, but no alcoholic beverages available right now due to liquor license issues (per sign posted). They did have the NW style coffee machines with choices of espresso, etc.

-Only snacks available both times (different times during the day) were mixed nuts and pretzels :(

-Although it is a new location, it is not as impressive or new feeling as other clubs. Kinds of reminds me of some of the outdated Atlanta CRCs.

-No air conditioning! This is bizarre because it's in Hawaii! There were fans scattered around, but it was still pretty stuffy.

-Agents were very helpful and friendly, always a plus.

-TV station was set to CBS and some kind of anime cartoons were playing. I asked to have the channel changed and the desk agents said they had to keep it on that channel (what?)

Overall, I was less than impressed. But when you get to go to Hawaii for a work trip, there is no sense complaining about the small stuff!

elmococker Aug 2, 2009 5:23 pm

I thought that they closed the CRC at HNL? I think that there was a World Club lounge, but not a CRC. Either way, thanks for the info!

I will be going to HNL in December with DL on NW metal. Do you know if DL and NW flight get into the same terminal? It has been a while and I have never flown NW into HNL.

Thanks,

mersk862 Aug 2, 2009 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by elmococker (Post 12163684)
I thought that they closed the CRC at HNL? I think that there was a World Club lounge, but not a CRC. Either way, thanks for the info!

I will be going to HNL in December with DL on NW metal. Do you know if DL and NW flight get into the same terminal? It has been a while and I have never flown NW into HNL.

Thanks,

The WorldClub is now a SkyClub as the lounges have consolidated.

DL/NW have combined their operations in HNL as of last Tuesday (I think that's when the consolidation occurred), so everything will be in the same place.

raehl311 Aug 2, 2009 5:34 pm

So what was the WorldClub is the new SkyClub?

I as there beginning of June and there was air conditioning and self-serve beverages and snacks. Of course, DL has killed the snacks, but should still have A/C and hopefully alcohol.

mersk862 Aug 2, 2009 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 12163726)
So what was the WorldClub is the new SkyClub?

Yes...WC is now SC. To my knowledge, the former CRC location remains vacant.

Hawk Circle Aug 2, 2009 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 12163748)
Yes...WC is now SC. To my knowledge, the former CRC location remains vacant.

The OP says the new Sky Club is in the garden area below the terminal. This was the location of the CRC that was closed.

The NW World club was in the terminal.

It would be helpful if someone would clarify where the new Sky Club is.

mersk862 Aug 2, 2009 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by donlind (Post 12163844)
The OP says the new Sky Club is in the garden area below the terminal. This was the location of the CRC that was closed.

The NW World club was in the terminal.

It would be helpful if someone would clarify where the new Sky Club is.

Interesting that they moved it then - delta.com still shows it in the terminal at by Gate 13.

surfport Aug 2, 2009 6:24 pm

the former DL HNL CR club (lower level of central concourse - garden level) that closed last year reopened again last week (July 28th) when NW was consolidated with DL operations in HNL (Lobby 4). Therefore, the NW WC (across from gate 13 area) is now closed. NW flights have also moved over to central concourse (gates 14-23) and gates 24/25 when available (DL flights normally park at gates 20-22). This move to gates 14-25 is closer to DL check-in and DL SC (but some NW flights still use gates 11-13). HNL baggage claim for inbound domestic flights usually D6/D7. Hopefully whatever issue they're having with liquor license and A/C will be corrected soon. Aloha!

uavking Aug 2, 2009 7:28 pm

Now here's the most important question: do they still have that glorious guava juice pitcher from the WC? :D

worldwidedreamer Aug 2, 2009 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by surfport (Post 12163892)
the former DL HNL CR club (lower level of central concourse - garden level) that closed last year reopened again last week (July 28th) when NW was consolidated with DL operations in HNL (Lobby 4). Therefore, the NW WC (across from gate 13 area) is now closed. NW flights have also moved over to central concourse (gates 14-23) and gates 24/25 when available (DL flights normally park at gates 20-22). This move to gates 14-25 is closer to DL check-in and DL SC (but some NW flights still use gates 11-13). HNL baggage claim for inbound domestic flights usually D6/D7. Hopefully whatever issue they're having with liquor license and A/C will be corrected soon. Aloha!

Sounds like a trade up!

surfport Aug 6, 2009 11:15 pm

As of Thursday, August 6th, DL HNL SkyClub still awaiting liquor license...but at least the A/C is working. In the interim I'll be going to CO HNL Prez Club until DL HNL SkyClub gets liquor license. Going to miss having the CO Prez Club option after CO leaves SkyTeam. I think it's quite embarassing that DL relocated HNL WC to former CRC location and not even have liquor license. Delta.com has finally been updated to show HNL SC now garden level again.

humanoid94 Aug 7, 2009 5:47 am

I always liked the DL CRC at HNL, the hard product of the NW lounge wasn't that great. Hopefully, though, all the staff is the former WC staff. Before the merger we would have debates on the NW board about which WC had the best staff- DCA or HNL. Even though I only go through HNL twice a year or so, the WC staff always remembered me.

DLfan Aug 7, 2009 5:58 am

The old HNL CRC was my favorite! The staff was terrific (especially Jane) and recognized me on site. Glad they have reopened it; but, I'm sure the staff I remember has all retired or relocated.

I'm still confused about the location. Wondering why they reopened the SC in the old CRC location when the Gate 13 WC was the larger room. There were times when the old Garden level CRC would get quite full and I'm sure that will be worse than ever with the consolidation.

Honoloulu was the only CRC I can remember with a self serve bar. I wonder if it will be self-serve again once the liquor issues are resolved.

humanoid94 Aug 7, 2009 7:33 am

Originally Posted by DLfan (Post 12188752)
The old HNL CRC was my favorite! The staff was terrific (especially Jane) and recognized me on site. Glad they have reopened it; but, I'm sure the staff I remember has all retired or relocated.

I'm still confused about the location. Wondering why they reopened the SC in the old CRC location when the Gate 13 WC was the larger room. There were times when the old Garden level CRC would get quite full and I'm sure that will be worse than ever with the consolidation.

Honoloulu was the only CRC I can remember with a self serve bar. I wonder if it will be self-serve again once the liquor issues are resolved.

The old Worldclub didn't have a bathroom, which may have been one factor in moving to the old CRC location. The self-serve bar at the old CRC was my favorite feature of that club.

US1@ORF Aug 7, 2009 9:21 am

New location is better

Wife and I recently returned from trip to HNL.

Upon arrival at HNL we visited the WC and found it to be very disappointing in the middle afternoon as it was quite full due to the pending outbound to NRT or some other destination in the far east. The A/C was not working well as we sat there and perspired. Nice open bar but found it out that the ice machine vented into the room thus that probably explains the high temps.

The staff was excellent so no complaints there.

A week later upon our trip home transiting HNL to our ultimate destination of ATL, we went looking for the club only to find the sign saying club closed and moved to the new location in the garden level. We finally found it and were warmly welcomed into a nice cool room. Got checked in smoothly even though it was their first day so some technical folks were at the desk helping to solve minor glitches with the computers the check-in agents use to scan boarding passes, etc.

Sat down and realized no liquor license. Since we had about 3 hours until our departing flight and being fully aware of the CO Club, we decided to move over to it so that we could enjoy a few drinks before boarding. Plus, the CO club was very close to our departure gate 12. CO was quite nice in welcoming us even though the sky club was opened. The CO Bartender was shocked to hear the Sky Club did not have a liquor license and I told him to expect quite a few DL pax until that gets resolved. He just laughed. We were there on 7/30 so it's shocking to hear the liquor license is still an open issue. Must be quite frustrating for pax who are unaware of this situation.

Makes one wonder why DL moved the club without this paperwork being in place. Wonder if the airport made them move by a certain date.

Anyway, the new location is quite nice and reflects the new branding. Should be nice one you can get a drink there.

beckoa Aug 7, 2009 10:28 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Will be in HNL the 13 & 14th this month... Is 7 days enough to get a liquor License, or is the concensus stay with the CO PC?

MikeMpls Aug 7, 2009 11:24 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 12164341)
Sounds like a trade up!

Definitely, the old CRC was the nicest of the three Skyteam lounges at HNL.

surfport Aug 13, 2009 2:03 pm

As of Thursday, August 13, 2009, still no liquor license at Delta's "relocated" (Garden level) SkyClub at HNL.

MarqFlyer Aug 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Glad to hear they're back in the garden location -- much nicer than the WC location (and with a restroom to boot!). When both were still open, I'd only go to the WC if I needed assistance with seating, BPs, etc. Then I'd go down to the CRC and enjoy the nicer surroundings....

When they get the liquor license straightened out, I hope they go back to serving the local brews from the Kona Brewing Company. Never have been fond of the generic choices (Heinekin?) served at the HNL WC.

Spiff Aug 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 12190235)
Definitely, the old CRC was the nicest of the three Skyteam lounges at HNL.

Agreed and the staff was some of the nicest folks in the system.

I'm very pleased the CRC is open again. Even when I'm on AA, I prefer the CRC due its proximity to the AA and DL gates, as well as its (hopefully soon to be restored) liquor selection and self-serve bar.

Anyone going to be there on Aug 17th or 21st? :)

Spiff Aug 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Is that you, Andy Bernard (the Nard Dog)?

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer (Post 12221658)
(and with a restroom to boot!).

How much are you planning on drinking??? :eek:

:D

DevilDog438 Aug 13, 2009 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 12222342)
Agreed and the staff was some of the nicest folks in the system.

I'm very pleased the CRC is open again. Even when I'm on AA, I prefer the CRC due its proximity to the AA and DL gates, as well as its (hopefully soon to be restored) liquor selection and self-serve bar.

Anyone going to be there on Aug 17th or 21st? :)

Almost, but not quite. Already in HNL for work and going home on 22AUG.

beckoa Aug 14, 2009 12:38 pm

Chillin' in the HNL SC right now :cool:

Nice looking club, decent decor, food options... well representative of the DL SC options :rolleyes: but they do have the coffee machine that I assume was in the NW WC before ^

Still smells a little musky inside, they have been trying to get rid of the odor... but to no avail yet :(

And alas no liquor license yet... working on getting it back - hopefully by September or so...

And the best plus... my AS flight is departing from 23, nearly directly above! :cool:

So very happy to stop in and have a visit ^^

(Oh, and yes, the agents are very kind and polite :D)

surfport Sep 1, 2009 9:13 pm

Unfortunately still no liquor license in Delta's HNL SkyClub (garden area). I was told liquor license has been delayed more than anticipated and liquor license is not expected for awhile. At least club still has fantastic agents.

Kaeokai Oct 4, 2009 7:49 pm

Oct 4th update.

Still no liquor license.

Typing this from the HNL CO President's Club. I usually used the WC in my previous Hawaii trips. Visited the Skyclub just now for the 1st time.

Not impressed, especially considering the size of the place (the liquor license notwithsatnding) and the sheer number of DL/NW widebodies that transit here.

Seems woefully under-served.

-K

beckoa Oct 5, 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Kaeokai (Post 12518424)
Oct 4th update.

Still no liquor license.

Typing this from the HNL CO President's Club. I usually used the WC in my previous Hawaii trips. Visited the Skyclub just now for the 1st time.

Not impressed, especially considering the size of the place (the liquor license notwithsatnding) and the sheer number of DL/NW widebodies that transit here.

Seems woefully under-served.

-K

Still none in Oct? :eek:

I know they were having some issues legally trying to reestablish it, but it seems they are possibly being rather frugal as well... so they don't have to pay for a liquor license that expires 3 months later (not sure how this works in HI so pure speculation)... :(

MachOne Oct 11, 2009 10:49 pm

HNL SkyClub - Still no liquor license

Let me preface by saying: I know this has been discussed in another thread that was addressing Sky Club deficiencies in general, however I feel it deserves it's own thread.

I think it is pushing two months now and the HNL SkyClub still does not have a liquor license.

Hopefully fellow FT'ers will take a moment to give us all a status update when they are at HNL.

MO

itsaboutthejourney Oct 11, 2009 11:33 pm

Maybe they can continue the trend and get some "fake" booze? @:-) :D

surfport Oct 11, 2009 11:35 pm

I was advised a few weeks ago that it's going to be "awhile" before liquor license is received. According to SkyClub representative, when Delta closed their Honolulu Crown Room Club back in either 2007/2008, Delta turned in liquor license. When Northwest WorldClub relocated to the former Delta Crown Room Club location (in garden area below gate 23) this past summer, apparently they couldn't just transfer the liquor license from one location to another...even though it's still within Honolulu International Airport but just at different area of the airport. So when this information was known, they had to reapply for "new" liquor license as if they were starting from scratch. I guess this process is lengthy and not sure if there's anymore red tape involved or not. In the meantime you can visit CO HNL President's Club and hopefully DL HNL SkyClub will receive their "new" liquor license by January 31, 2010 (since I believe CO President's Club will honor DL SkyClub card until then). At least DL HNL SkyClub still has fantastic staff which is reason enough to visit DL HNL SkyClub if you don't need any liquor. If anyone hears DL HNL SkyClub gets their "new" liquor license before then please advise.

Mahalo!

MachOne Oct 12, 2009 9:09 am

I spoke to one of the HNL SkyClub Employees and they confirm it is going to be quite some time. The same employee says that as of 10/24, access to the Presidents club at HNL will cease for SkyClub members.

Apparently there is 'fine print" to the 1/31/10 extension which says the access to PC will continue through 1/31/10 in airports where there is not a SC. Since there is SC at HNL, no access to the PC after 10/24/09.

MO

socrates Oct 12, 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by MachOne (Post 12608136)
I spoke to one of the HNL SkyClub Employees and they confirm it is going to be quite some time. The same employee says that as of 10/24, access to the Presidents club at HNL will cease for SkyClub members.

Apparently there is 'fine print" to the 1/31/10 extension which says the access to PC will continue through 1/31/10 in airports where there is not a SC. Since there is SC at HNL, no access to the PC after 10/24/09.

MO

there is NO agreement for access past 10/24 but CO has stated they WILL give access through to 01/31/10...this is there attempt to grab PAX from DL

bschaff1 Oct 12, 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by socrates (Post 12608194)
there is NO agreement for access past 10/24 but CO has stated they WILL give access through to 01/31/10...this is there attempt to grab PAX from DL

Great news on this. I was wondering what happened to the booze last month in HNL when I was there at 10am. I thought it was an attempt at making passengers look respectable by not giving out liquor before noon. My solution was a trip to the CO lounge.

milesho Oct 14, 2009 11:39 am

Related question. Where is the current Delta Sky Club. Down in the garden where the CRC was or up in the old WC room? I think I have seen both of these on various posts over the last few months. I will be in HNL in December, so I hope the PC rumors are true.

Seminole_Kev Oct 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Related to the Sky Clubs - Who, in Delta, is in charge of the Sky Clubs? Is there a point of contact for questions, suggestions, etc rather than just a generic Delta email? Just was curious if there was someone/group who actually took/had ownership of the Sky Clubs?

Spiff Oct 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by milesho (Post 12634287)
Related question. Where is the current Delta Sky Club. Down in the garden where the CRC was or up in the old WC room? I think I have seen both of these on various posts over the last few months. I will be in HNL in December, so I hope the PC rumors are true.

Down in the garden.

djm3 Oct 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by milesho (Post 12634287)
Related question. Where is the current Delta Sky Club. Down in the garden where the CRC was or up in the old WC room?

Yep, the signs describe it as "under Gate 23" ... It seems like a really small place compared to the old WC and present PC.

socrates Oct 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by djm3 (Post 12686873)
Yep, the signs describe it as "under Gate 23" ... It seems like a really small place compared to the old WC and present PC.

the good thing is the PC will continue to accept our WC cards until 31JAN

surfport Oct 21, 2009 6:52 pm

DL customer service suggested I contact Honolulu liquor commission for update on DL HNL SkyClub liquor license. Therefore, I contacted Honolulu liquor commission and was advised that DL has NOT yet submitted a completed application for a new liquor license. Once an application is properly filed, it will take approximately 3-4 MONTHS before a new liquor license is issued.

DL.com continues to advertise that HNL SkyClub has complimentary bar yet we all know this to be false since this club doesn't even have a liquor license.

What's the real delay in DL not submitting a completed liquor license application? Can't blame the state for this delay as seems they're waiting on DL.

NewMexFlyer Nov 4, 2009 2:23 pm

Still no liquor as of Nov 1. Sure do miss seeing Katie, Cindy, Melva, Dondra and Charlyn also. Club was very crowded @4:30 PM, flights to MSP and ATL at around 6 PM.