Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by IhsanRaharjo
Is a 1H03 transit time enough in MSP for Domestic to International?

The flights are LAS-MSP DL1448 arriving 17:12 and followed by MSP-HAM KL0656 departing 18:15.
I have also checked bag, but I believe it will be automatically transferred to the KLM flight.
In my experience at LAX, Delta won't necessarily tag your bag for the connecting flight on another airline, even if it's the same alliance. You should know if they will once you check in at the airport, but then it's too late to change your itinerary.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by IhsanRaharjo
Is a 1H03 transit time enough in MSP for Domestic to International?

The flights are LAS-MSP DL1448 arriving 17:12 and followed by MSP-HAM KL0656 departing 18:15.
I have also checked bag, but I believe it will be automatically transferred to the KLM flight.
I assume you mean MSP-AMS? 1:03 is enough time to make the transfer and your bag will be automatically transferred from DL to KL.

Originally Posted by weezl
In my experience at LAX, Delta won't necessarily tag your bag for the connecting flight on another airline, even if it's the same alliance. You should know if they will once you check in at the airport, but then it's too late to change your itinerary.
The only time DL wouldn't transfer your bag to another airline is if a) it's separate tickets and either b1) you're not connecting to one of DL's "close partners" or b2) the connection time between the separate tickets is below the minimum connection time for the airport you're connecting at. But 1:03 is above the MCT at MSP for a DL-KL connection and DL considers KL a close partner, so the bag will be transferred whether this is one ticket or two.
IhsanRaharjo likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I assume you mean MSP-AMS? 1:03 is enough time to make the transfer and your bag will be automatically transferred from DL to KL.

The only time DL wouldn't transfer your bag to another airline is if a) it's separate tickets and either b1) you're not connecting to one of DL's "close partners" or b2) the connection time between the separate tickets is below the minimum connection time for the airport you're connecting at. But 1:03 is above the MCT at MSP for a DL-KL connection and DL considers KL a close partner, so the bag will be transferred whether this is one ticket or two.
Indeed it is MSP-AMS and not HAM (corrected my OP) and thank you for the response.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:14 am

Connecting Concourse F to Concourse G

First time through MSP.

Obviously, gate assignments change, but right now it looks as if I'll be connecting from Gate F11 (coming from Spokane) to Gate G19 (to Atlanta) on a Sat.

The current schedule provides for slightly more than 1 hr connection time.

I can walk but I'm not the spryest person. How far is the departure gate from my arrival gate and how long does it usually take a "non-sprinter" to get from one to the other? It looks horrendously long on the airport maps.

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingHi4Now
First time through MSP.

Obviously, gate assignments change, but right now it looks as if I'll be connecting from Gate F11 (coming from Spokane) to Gate G19 (to Atlanta) on a Sat.

I can walk but I'm not the spryest person. How far is the departure gate from my arrival gate and how long does it usually take a "non-sprinter" to get from one to the other? It looks horrendously long on the airport maps.

Thanks.
You'll need to walk through the F concourse (F11 is one of the gates at the far end) and then go toward the left to get to the G concourse. Most of G has moving walkways, although sometimes one section is out of order.

Alternatively, try to get a ride on one of the electric golf course that cruise through the terminal, tips ($1-2 is sufficient) appreciated. [Sometimes it seems to me that I'm more likely to be taken directly to my gate with no intermediate stops for anyone else if the driver can see that I have a dollar bill in my hand.]

One hour should be fine, although it can take more time to deplane if you're seated in the rear of the aircraft. Be aware that the path involves some small "hills."

Worst case is that DL rebooks you for free on the next MSP-ATL flight (of which there are many) if you miss your flight. Of course, this isn't a good solution if you're scheduled to take the last flight of the day.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You'll need to walk through the F concourse (F11 is one of the gates at the far end) and then go toward the left to get to the G concourse. Most of G has moving walkways, although sometimes one section is out of order.

Alternatively, try to get a ride on one of the electric golf course that cruise through the terminal, tips ($1-2 is sufficient) appreciated. [Sometimes it seems to me that I'm more likely to be taken directly to my gate with no intermediate stops for anyone else if the driver can see that I have a dollar bill in my hand.]

One hour should be fine, although it can take more time to deplane if you're seated in the rear of the aircraft. Be aware that the path involves some small "hills."

Worst case is that DL rebooks you for free on the next MSP-ATL flight (of which there are many) if you miss your flight. Of course, this isn't a good solution if you're scheduled to take the last flight of the day.

Thank you. There are several of us flying so I shall rally the troops to move swiftly off the plane.

Fortunately, we should be sitting nearer the front and are not scheduled for the last connecting flight of the day, although I just realized I'm not going to ATL, but still not the last flight of the day to my destination. [Force of habit to assume ATL when I'm on Delta!]

Travelling by air used to be more fun than it is now. I guess we've all changed.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by FlyingHi4Now
First time through MSP.

Thanks.
That's a pretty long walk, but it's basically a straight shot (coming out of F concourse, don't miss the sign for the G concourse to the right at the "Y" intersection), and easily manageable with a 1hr connection time.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
I've never flown through MSP before and am a bit nervous about how DL rebooked me the other day for a summer trip I have planned to Asia...was previously flying MDW-ATL-ICN and am now flying MDW-MSP-ICN with a 40 minute layover in MSP. Flight from Chicago into MSP is on an Embraer...am I looking at a significant schlep from a smaller-jet terminal to a mainline-jet one like we have at ORD?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by ralph4878
I've never flown through MSP before and am a bit nervous about how DL rebooked me the other day for a summer trip I have planned to Asia...was previously flying MDW-ATL-ICN and am now flying MDW-MSP-ICN with a 40 minute layover in MSP. Flight from Chicago into MSP is on an Embraer...am I looking at a significant schlep from a smaller-jet terminal to a mainline-jet one like we have at ORD?
A brief look at FlightAware seems to show most SkyWest flights MDW - MSP arriving in the C gates. That's right in the middle of pretty much everything at MSP. It appears that DAL171 MSP - ICN most often departs from F14. That's a decent walk, but only gets sporty if you're in the back of the E175 trying to deplane.
ralph4878 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Odds are you have no alternate choice through MSP (except to depart from ORD). There is no early morning flight MDW/MSP this summer. Remember you will be landing in MSP about the time the ICN flight starts to board. You may want to switch to a flight from O'Hare, as there is an earlier flight (6:00 AM). You will be arriving at C Concourse and departing from the lower numbered G Concourse or possibly a high numbered F concourse. It could be a bit of a walk, but not too bad.
ralph4878 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Odds are you have no alternate choice through MSP (except to depart from ORD). There is no early morning flight MDW/MSP this summer. Remember you will be landing in MSP about the time the ICN flight starts to board. You may want to switch to a flight from O'Hare, as there is an earlier flight (6:00 AM). You will be arriving at C Concourse and departing from the lower numbered G Concourse or possibly a high numbered F concourse. It could be a bit of a walk, but not too bad.
MDW-DTW-ICN has 1h55m connection in the summer which would be much more reasonable. It arrives a couple hours later at ICN vs. MSP flight (5:20PM vs. 3:20PM)
ralph4878 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:19 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Mr. Dracarys blew out his knee trying to catch a 35 min connection at MSP. First plane departed 10 minutes late, and of course there is the dreaded gate change which meant he hauled butt to the next gate only to find the boarding door closed 15 minutes prior to departure which he didn't count on. Unfortunately for him he tore his meniscus which resulted in surgery. YMMV but we will never cut it that close again.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks, Everyone.
I'm in 1A on the flight from MDW so that should help; at 6'3" I can cover a lot of ground pretty quickly .
I've looked at the alternatives and the flight through DTW gets me into ICN for a 45 minute connect to BKK --> I've done that one too often to know that it is not pleasant, at all (rough getting through security if there's even one other flight arriving around the same time). I'm not keen to fly out of ORD...if I were, I'd take the Korean flight directly to ICN; ORD is a ridiculous schlep for me (I live on the South Side of Chicago...iykyk).
Gonna roll the dice!
Thank you, again, for the replies.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
It's not as bad as the United schlep at ORD. But it's not going to be a breeze either. It's generally not nearly the drive time around the airport at MSP that it is as ORD either, so those regional gates actually get to the gate early. No time to waste but as long as there are no delays coming out of MDW, you should be fine. My choice would be to deal with the schlep to ORD rather than risk the misconnect.
ralph4878 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I would point out that if your flight from MDW parks at MSP gate C13, you are in decent shape, as the tram to the shopping mall area that connects most of the concourses has a station almost directly across the concourse from C13. If the ongoing flight goes from G1-G5, then your walk from the C1 tram stop is maybe 5-7 minutes. If the ongoing flight is at the end of F, then you are looking at 12-15 minutes from the C1 tram stop. If your ongoing flight goes from the highest G gates, such as G18-21, you don't need to use the tram but will use the escalator on your left as you leave C13 to access the corridor that features moving walkways to get over to the high G gates plus the new SkyClub. Neither the "shopping mall" nor the F concourse feature moving walkways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.