Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by FranckM
Hi guys.

I read in your wiki that "For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I."

Arriving on an AF flight from CDG I have 1h35mns to get a domestic DL flight. First point of entry to the US (clear customs, recover luggage, recheck luggage). Am I fine or is it short ?
Am I entitled to change my flight as it is below the MCT ? (Yes it is tkted on the same PNR, but domestic DL is the last of the day, I would hate spending the night there)

Thanks for the advice
Pretty sure AF-DL and v/v are considered DL-DL.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FranckM
Hi guys.

I read in your wiki that "For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I."

Arriving on an AF flight from CDG I have 1h35mns to get a domestic DL flight. First point of entry to the US (clear customs, recover luggage, recheck luggage). Am I fine or is it short ?
Am I entitled to change my flight as it is below the MCT ? (Yes it is tkted on the same PNR, but domestic DL is the last of the day, I would hate spending the night there)

Thanks for the advice
You are fine as they are in the same terminal and are partners. From ExpertFlyer, the MCT for AF-DL and DL-DL I-D connections are the exact same 1hr 20min. The wiki does not currently list all the possible MCT's.

Last edited by xliioper; May 13, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old May 21, 2018, 2:04 pm

Hello all ---

I'm a seasoned flyer but I'm doing two things I've never done before (at least in recent memory):

1. Checking bags

2. International to Domestic connection (I thought this would be easier when booking, I think an I-I connection would be better in hindsight)

So I'm going FRA-DTW-ORD with a 1 hour 40 minute connection in DTW.

I plan on bringing a bottle of liquor or 2 (hence needing to check bags) back. So as I understand it, the process will be ...

get off plane.
Go through immigration.
Wait at Baggage carousel that may take some time to dispense checked bags.
Go thru Customs.
Drop off checked baggage at "all-purpose" bag dump (for all airlines?) Is there a line for this typically? Is this just a drop-off, or do I need to wait in the "line from hell" at an Airline's check-in line?
Go through regular 'ole Domestic security line (yikes).

Do you think 1:40 is doable?

It's a Lufthansa (I) and then United (D) flight ... all booked under AA under the MCT. There is a later flight from United. I just want to make sure the booze I bring back arrives in Chicago ... and if I miss the connection, will I be blamed? I'm mainly worried about sitting at the baggage carousel for 30 minutes waiting for baggage but eh.

Do you think booking a seat closer to the doors on the Lufthansa flight for $45 would be worth it, given the main wait will probably be the baggage carousel after immigration potentially?
Old May 21, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DTW is one of the quickest places to clear customs at. With that said, you won't find much help here. This is DL forum, and the operate out of a different terminal. You'll be using the North terminal for your flights.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:31 pm

Ah I didn't notice it was the Delta forum. Hmm -- not sure if there is another official thread for DTW anywhere based on my search. Well assuming United/ Lufthansa are operating out of the North Terminal ...

It appears the terminal has it's own customs/ immigration checkpoints, though possibly more dated (an article from 2014 says the McNamara terminial got kiosks first) ... but the North terminal also seems smaller overall. Hopefully that's a good thing.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:12 pm

I guess worst case scenario if I miss the connection and can't get on a later flight --- I asked United to for $100 for a rental car from Detroit to Chicago (~4 hours). Or just eat the cost myself.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PeterParker220
It's a Lufthansa (I) and then United (D) flight ... all booked under AA under the MCT. There is a later flight from United. I just want to make sure the booze I bring back arrives in Chicago ... and if I miss the connection, will I be blamed? I'm mainly worried about sitting at the baggage carousel for 30 minutes waiting for baggage but eh.
You must put your booze in your checked bag after you clear Customs and before you do bag drop. If you miss the last UA flight, look for an American (same terminal) flight into O'Hare, or (same terminal) Southwest flight into Chicago-Midway before renting a car and driving.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PeterParker220
Ah I didn't notice it was the Delta forum. Hmm -- not sure if there is another official thread for DTW anywhere based on my search. Well assuming United/ Lufthansa are operating out of the North Terminal ...

It appears the terminal has it's own customs/ immigration checkpoints, though possibly more dated (an article from 2014 says the McNamara terminial got kiosks first) ... but the North terminal also seems smaller overall. Hopefully that's a good thing.
IME, the North Terminal is smaller but it always takes quite a while for bags to come out...in fact, when arriving from KEF a couple weeks ago, the baggage system somehow broke and we stood around for an hour before agents started bringing bags in on carts.

Once you get your bags, you'll just have to go upstairs to the regular check-in area - not sure how United is set up, but there's probably some bag drop area.

If you're in business, a seat towards the front probably won't make a difference. Assuming the flight is on time, 1:40 should be doable.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:29 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
What's the deal with the Narita - Detroit carveout? Does it arrive at a particularly quiet time for immigration?

I've got a 70 minute connection in DTW (from NRT) and have GE, but will be checking a bag. Assuming normal flight operations ... should I expect to run?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally, the NRT flight seems to arrive at the middle gates, so that could be part of it. With GE and without checked luggage, this is easy. Checking luggage adds a bit of uncertainty, but if TSA is backed up at the immigrations level, you can just exit the area and head up to the check-in level and use Pre-Check/Clear lanes (the elevator will be the quickest way to get there). What is your destination? There will most likely be other options to get there given the arrival time of the NRT flight. Unless your luggage takes a long time to come out, you will most likely not have to run.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 13, 2018 at 4:38 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TBD
What's the deal with the Narita - Detroit carveout? Does it arrive at a particularly quiet time for immigration?

I've got a 70 minute connection in DTW (from NRT) and have GE, but will be checking a bag. Assuming normal flight operations ... should I expect to run?
GE will get you through to baggage claim quite fast at DTW. The holdup will be bags coming out at this point.

Once you dropped off your bags for your connections, this is where the fun starts: TSA security.
Usually long lineup, pilots and airline staff, as well as wheelchair entourage, gets to cut into the line. After TPAC or TATL arrival people are not at their sharpest mindest and forget things that need to be done prior to the bags or person going through scanners.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:30 am
TBD

But Delta has a 20 minute baggage guarantee!

I'll be heading on to Tampa afterwards and I do see a later flight. Unfortunately, it's 5h later...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TBD

I'll be heading on to Tampa afterwards and I do see a later flight. Unfortunately, it's 5h later...
Only for domestic flights.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD

Looks like there is an ATL connecting option that leaves an hour later and will get you there quicker than the later non-stop.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:38 am
TBD

I never took the guarantee seriously enough to read the fine print ....

Good to know on the ATL connection, which I hadn't considered. Thanks, everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.