Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Moderators Guilty of Premature Evacuation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
This discussion is unique on FlyerTalk in that it allows members who visit the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum to publicly comment on the decisions and actions of its moderators — even though Rule 18 on FlyerTalk specifically prohibits doing this:

Discussion Of Moderator Actions

Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.

Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the [email protected].
The moderators of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles have learned a lot from your input through this discussion; and it has also served to resolve issues over the years — often in a humorous manner.

Despite the existence of this discussion, the moderators of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles still request that you first address any questions or concerns pertaining to the decisions and actions of the moderators via private communications before posting them publicly, as most issues can usually be resolved this way. Please use this discussion sparingly and only when necessary.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie, obscure2k and ryandc99
Co-moderators, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum
Print Wikipost

Moderators Guilty of Premature Evacuation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Hi Everyone,

As you have noted, we did a serious spring cleaning of the stickies today. If anyone feels that a thread we removed should be re stickied, please let me know. Things had gotten to a point where there were so many stickies you would need to scroll down before you could read any threads.

Ryandc99, Moderator, Delta Air Lines
I hate to point this out, but it is now summer. So, it would be “summer cleaning”.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I hate to point this out, but it is now summer. So, it would be “summer cleaning”.
I hate to point this out, but there’s a thread for replies like this
Weekend Away and defrosted like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

When I posted this, I realized it as no longer spring, but summer cleaning just isn't as catchy!
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Discrimination I say! It's winter cleaning! (I'm in New Zealand freezing my a** off)
TSparky likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I posted this, I realized it as no longer spring, but summer cleaning just isn't as catchy!
You only missed spring by a few days.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Hi Everyone,

As you have noted, we did a serious spring cleaning of the stickies today. If anyone feels that a thread we removed should be re stickied, please let me know. Things had gotten to a point where there were so many stickies you would need to scroll down before you could read any threads.

Wow, I like it!
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Hi Everyone,

Best enhancement of FT for years!

Originally Posted by defrosted
Thank you!
What he/she said!^
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I've noticed that somewhat frequently as of late of old threads being resurrected where someone posts a new question or respond to something in that thread, for which the original posts were often made years ago (my guess is the respondent probably came across the thread via a Google search). The response from the Mods is too usually then lock the thread, which I get to some extent. But had these threads not been resurrected they would remain deep in the forum, unlocked. So I ask:
1) What is the point of locking the thread that would have otherwise remained unlocked?
OR
2) Why doesn't FT just set it up so that any thread which goes X number of days (maybe a year?) without a new posts is just automatically locked to prevent such threads from being responded to?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I've noticed that somewhat frequently as of late of old threads being resurrected where someone posts a new question or respond to something in that thread, for which the original posts were often made years ago (my guess is the respondent probably came across the thread via a Google search). The response from the Mods is too usually then lock the thread, which I get to some extent. But had these threads not been resurrected they would remain deep in the forum, unlocked. So I ask:
1) What is the point of locking the thread that would have otherwise remained unlocked?
OR
2) Why doesn't FT just set it up so that any thread which goes X number of days (maybe a year?) without a new posts is just automatically locked to prevent such threads from being responded to?
Further to that, everyone is always harping on people that a thread already exists for whatever question they might have. So logically people try and find said threads to avoid the wrath, then closing them encourages new threads. This leaves me curious on the "threadiquette" for when new threads should be created?
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
OR
If a topic is “evergreen”, I will consider keeping an old resurrected discussion open, which is a reason I would oppose the idea of automatically locking one...

...but discussions which are years old are usually not relevant today and the subject matter may be outdated, which is why they are typically locked.

Sometimes several discussions which are of the same topic over the years may be merged to maintain a flow without significantly chronological gaps or having them fractured in several places; but that is basically a judgement call as to whether or not that would be helpful to FlyerTalk members of the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum.

I hope that helps...
Originally Posted by defrosted
Further to that, everyone is always harping on people that a thread already exists for whatever question they might have. So logically people try and find said threads to avoid the wrath, then closing them encourages new threads. This leaves me curious on the "threadiquette" for when new threads should be created?
Go ahead and create the new discussion if you have conducted some research and are still not sure one exists.

At worst, one of us moderators can simply merge it into an existing discussion when warranted, which only takes a moment or so of our time.
GoAmtrak, BamaGirl and defrosted like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I would also like to add from a technical standpoint, the exact functionality you are asking for, the automated locking has been investigated, but I believe the decision was made to not implement it. That being said, I can't remember if it was actually technically feasible or not.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
ryandc99, I see you have locked the Amex $250K waiver thread due to off topic posting. I believe this is heavy handed and wrong. Delete OT posts if you feel you must, but now where is the topic to be discussed? A new thread? The thread which you have locked or put on "time out" ( a msessage to all the kindergarten members) has over 1700 posts and almost 150,000 views.

Easy on the brakes there,please!
Renes Points likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
ryandc99, I see you have locked the Amex $250K waiver thread due to off topic posting. I believe this is heavy handed and wrong. Delete OT posts if you feel you must, but now where is the topic to be discussed? A new thread? The thread which you have locked or put on "time out" ( a msessage to all the kindergarten members) has over 1700 posts and almost 150,000 views.

Easy on the brakes there,please!
Thanks for your feedback. Sadly, it is quite time consuming to clean up the repeated off topic posts, read the thread, deleting all of the quoted posts, etc.

That being said, we will reopen the thread tomorrow after a 24 hour time out period.

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Thanks for your feedback. Sadly, it is quite time consuming to clean up the repeated off topic posts, read the thread, deleting all of the quoted posts, etc.

That being said, we will reopen the thread tomorrow after a 24 hour time out period.

IMO a good move, as there hasn't been anything really useful posted in several days. The thread definitely needed a timeout, and again IMO has run its course unless it proves that exceptions are generally available.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:30 am

I have re-opened the thread, and will be watching it closely.
Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.