Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
JFK-IST is completely full (J0 / Y0), and likely oversold. No chance of getting any upgrade with miles inventory there. Seeing as the domestic portion is now inside the DM/PM/GM upgrade window, if there was upgrade inventory before it is likely gone now (and won't return).

If you had checked earlier in the week, it's possible the domestic portion might have had upgrade inventory available. Doubt that the international one would have been a possibility.

Not sure how they handle the oversold situation. My guess is they would move top tier medallions up front first, but it's possible that being on a full Y fare that they might move you up. That would require some of the business class passengers to either miss the flight or change to some other flight while Y stays oversold.

For TATL flights on DL metal, they need to be YBM fares. H-K are eligible on domestic routes (and canada)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Is it likely that they'd open up upgrade availability at the gate if there are seats left?
Waitlisted SWUs go into any available seat. Mileage upgrades are processed from upgrade inventory only, and it's possible no more will open.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Waitlisted SWUs go into any available seat. Mileage upgrades are processed from upgrade inventory only, and it's possible no more will open.
+1

So to summarize. Will only cost 15K for entire trip, BUT award inventory must be open the entire trip. You can WL for award inventory up til 24 hrs before, then you can't get the UG.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:16 am

Thanks very much for the info! It's been quite helpful!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I used miles to upgrade my round-trip flight to Europe last week... except the miles have not been deducted from my account. I used miles previously on other legs and the miles were deducted immediately. Anyone know when the miles will eventually be deducted from my account?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by DCATraveler
I used miles to upgrade my round-trip flight to Europe last week... except the miles have not been deducted from my account. I used miles previously on other legs and the miles were deducted immediately. Anyone know when the miles will eventually be deducted from my account?
It's usually deducted within 24 hours.

If not, I would call in and ask. I had the same thing happen last year where I noticed the miles were not deducted after I decided to upgrade with them...24 hours before my travel date I tried to check-in and was not able to. Thought that was strange and called in the Medallion line, agent looked at my ticket and told me to hang on...came back a few minutes later saying the previous agent that had handled my request to upgrade using miles did not do so properly and that was the reason why I could not check-in. She fixed it, confirmation was reissued and this time with miles taken out and was able to check-in without an issue.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by stylo4444
It's usually deducted within 24 hours.

If not, I would call in and ask. I had the same thing happen last year where I noticed the miles were not deducted after I decided to upgrade with them...24 hours before my travel date I tried to check-in and was not able to. Thought that was strange and called in the Medallion line, agent looked at my ticket and told me to hang on...came back a few minutes later saying the previous agent that had handled my request to upgrade using miles did not do so properly and that was the reason why I could not check-in. She fixed it, confirmation was reissued and this time with miles taken out and was able to check-in without an issue.
Were you confirmed in Business and have a seat online though? I'll call in and see what they say.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're on DL operated flights then I wouldn't worry much about the miles not being pulled or ticket reissued yet. However, you'll want that done at least a couple days before the flight so you can check in and there are no delays/issues at the airport.

Look at your ticket receipt... if it still shows the original booked class M or whatever you purchased, then it wasn't reissued yet. It should show OP after reissue for the upgrade.

If you're flying on a partner like AF or KL and managed to get upgrade availability, then call immediately and push to get it reissued so that the upgrade doesn't get denied later because they waited too long and inventory went away.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by DCATraveler
Were you confirmed in Business and have a seat online though? I'll call in and see what they say.
Yes, I was. However the Fare Code listed was M, and I had BE seats. However, I was not able to check-in until I called and had the problem explained to me. After that the miles were taken out, ticket reissued and fare code was changed to OP if I recall correctly.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:57 pm

Nope. It shows OP for both routes. Looks like I may have gotten the upgrade with no miles deducted. Should be interesting come check-in time!

Screenshot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.