Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyBonus Incentive Program for Small Businesses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyBonus Incentive Program for Small Businesses

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I originally signed up for SkyBonus mainly to get drink coupons I fly on the lowest Y fare I can find so I never expected to earn many points. This was before EC and free booze TATL so the need there is reduced, but upgrades are down and while I usually get a HOOU on my boarding pass, I don't always and sometimes I want to use that one for snack box. Or have more than one Woodford's per flight (especially important when seated in Y).

And while I would never counsel anybody to do anything to violate T&Cs, unless you fly the bulk of your flights to "leisure" destinations, Delta really has no way of knowing what is "business related" and what is not.

That being said, it does look like they are enforcing the $5000/year minimum so if you are falling short, cash out your points for all the drink tickets you can get.
$5k/year is borderline, but might entice me to pick up more work. My understanding is that I should only credit those flights related to my business - is that correct? If I can credit ALL of my flights (home business, regular work, and leisure), then $5k is certainly not a problem at all.

What would DL classify as a leisure destination? The core of our work actually involves going to and partaking in leisure travel products, but those could be local to us, in some place like NYC or WAS, or in a true leisure market like MCO. My bigger concern is that they'd pitch a fit at the fact that the only passengers I'm crediting are Mrs. Lee and I, and that it's frequently the same reservation.

I guess I'm hesitant because it feels like I'm just passing up on points, but a few drink coupons is hardly worth getting into it with DL if they start pestering me for more details/documentation. Has anyone on here actually been audited by DL on whether their SB flights were business-related or not?
Old May 12, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by gooselee
Just got this promo email:

What's interesting is that I'm not sure what is tipping DL off that I have a business. I don't believe I've ever given them any indication that that is true.

Mrs. Lee and I do, in fact, conduct some side work from time to time that would theoretically qualify as a business, but it's just the two of us and it's mostly local, so I've hesitated on signing up for SkyBonus so far since a) only a few of our flights would technically be for the business that we'd be registering and b) we are the only "employees", so I wouldn't want DL to get the wrong idea, think we're gaming something, and nix our SkyBonus AND SkyMiles accounts.

If it came down to it, we have an FEIN and would be able to prove it's a legitimate business, but it seems like it'd be a hassle for the handful of SB points we'd be earning each year...
I got the promo email today and since it was no cost, I signed up for it. I assumed that it was because of my DL AMEX Business Reserve. Approval took about 5 min. There was no mention of a $5K annual minimum but that won't be a problem.

Mine is a NJ LLC that is also registered in LA so our LGA/EWR- MSY trips are most definitely business.

Since we fly a lot of V and X fares I don't expect we'll see anything but slow accumulation.

We use Independent Contractor's. If an IC is travelling under contract for us, can we include that trip in our point accumulation. Are there any data points on this?
Old May 13, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
$5k/year is borderline, but might entice me to pick up more work. My understanding is that I should only credit those flights related to my business - is that correct? If I can credit ALL of my flights (home business, regular work, and leisure), then $5k is certainly not a problem at all.

What would DL classify as a leisure destination? The core of our work actually involves going to and partaking in leisure travel products, but those could be local to us, in some place like NYC or WAS, or in a true leisure market like MCO. My bigger concern is that they'd pitch a fit at the fact that the only passengers I'm crediting are Mrs. Lee and I, and that it's frequently the same reservation.

I guess I'm hesitant because it feels like I'm just passing up on points, but a few drink coupons is hardly worth getting into it with DL if they start pestering me for more details/documentation. Has anyone on here actually been audited by DL on whether their SB flights were business-related or not?
I would sign up if you have your own fed ID number-you shouldn't have any problems.

All my wife and my flights get credited regardless of the purpose. The Skybonus account is linked to my skypeso's account so any reservations I make online will automatically have it applied to it unless I remember to delete the number out. If you have to call Delta to book a flight they Skybonus won't attach to it unless you tell the phone agent, and if it's a personal flight I don't bother with it since I shouldn't be getting the points anyway.

When employees in my firm make a reservation for firm business, I request the skybonus account to be applied to the reservation.

The points are nice to use to reward my employees with no status with drink coupons on long hauls and sky club passes.

If it's you and your wife, you may get enough points for a skyclub membership or the drink vouchers are nice.

If you live in ATL, you will get screwed like I do out of MSP. Delta really screws the hub flyers on points, even though we usually get stuck paying a lot higher fares.
Old May 15, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
There's no such thing as a destination that could be deemed as absent of business activity, as serving leisure travelers itself is business. Delta would never engage in trying to guess whether a person is taking a business versus leisure trip based upon destinations alone. After all, someone who flies to Caribbean islands 5x/year and nowhere else could very well be going there to manage their rental property, etc.
Old May 15, 2014, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There were a few reports of skybonus pax getting asked about flights that were deemed to be leisure and not business travel. Haven't heard about that in a while, but I agree its pretty crass of an agent and should not be worth their time to try to tell you that your flight was not for business purposes just based on the destination.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:02 am

Sign up for skybonus already. I've had it the last 3 years and I've earned one free flight (which I need to cash out before Dec just in case I don't hit the $5k). I put all of my leisure and business flights on there. They don't know the difference or seem to care. I put my wife's, daughter's, and brother's flights in there too if I'm buying them.
My business is me as a sole proprietor. I originally gave them a yahoo.com email address and I went to switch to my new "work" email which is a gmail account and they were giving me grief so I just left it as a yahoo account.
I'm probably not going to be hitting the minimum this year so I'm cashing out and we'll see what happens.
I don't think there is any downside to joining.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by stils
Sign up for skybonus already. I've had it the last 3 years and I've earned one free flight (which I need to cash out before Dec just in case I don't hit the $5k). I put all of my leisure and business flights on there. They don't know the difference or seem to care. I put my wife's, daughter's, and brother's flights in there too if I'm buying them.
My business is me as a sole proprietor. I originally gave them a yahoo.com email address and I went to switch to my new "work" email which is a gmail account and they were giving me grief so I just left it as a yahoo account.
I'm probably not going to be hitting the minimum this year so I'm cashing out and we'll see what happens.
Thanks guys. Signing up tonight.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a spend tracker on the skybonus activity page now so you can see where you're at. It appears to include future tickets that haven't been flown yet.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
SKYBONUS QUALIFICATION SPEND - tracker

Originally Posted by rylan
There is a spend tracker on the skybonus activity page now so you can see where you're at. It appears to include future tickets that haven't been flown yet.
Yep but don't think it is future spend just amount to 5k.

Old May 21, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by rylan
My tracker doesn't appear to have future flights.

This is interesting:
1 Accounts are required to spend a minimum of $5,000 USD in qualifying flown revenue

I thought a total of $5,000 total had to be spent a year from all account. Appears that it is only one flyer (which I think is fare).

I can tell you the spend tracker doesn't include a couple people in my office who also are on this account, so I am not sure whose SM number they use for the spender or if they just go with the flyer with the most spending.

Looks like no Am Ex waiver either
Old May 21, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by stils
And you are the kind of person that should be locked out of this program, it is meant for legitimate business travel only.

From T&C

Earning Program Awards
Only eligible tickets and coupons purchased and flown after date of enrollment and used for company business are eligible for credit in the Program

Last edited by BusTrav8yrs; May 21, 2014 at 8:12 am
Old May 21, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
My tracker doesn't appear to have future flights.

This is interesting:
1 Accounts are required to spend a minimum of $5,000 USD in qualifying flown revenue

I thought a total of $5,000 total had to be spent a year from all account. Appears that it is only one flyer (which I think is fare).

I can tell you the spend tracker doesn't include a couple people in my office who also are on this account, so I am not sure whose SM number they use for the spender or if they just go with the flyer with the most spending.
Not sure what you mean by that... a skybonus number is one account. It can have multiple tickets from multiple pax in it. Spend is not based on 1 pax, its based on all of the tickets applied to that skybonus number.

I thought it applied some upcoming ticket spend because its showing mine as a few $k higher than flown so far, and the difference is about equal to an upcoming tpac.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta DM
well they now added the spend graph on the skybonus page so you can see just how much you have to go to the $5000!.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
My tracker only shows tickets flown (i.e. it doesn't show tickets purchased but not yet flown).
Old May 22, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
The tracker shows only qualified tickets already flown/posted and includes all travelers with tickets tied to the SkyBonus account. Very straightforward. A nice improvement. Don't meet the $5K this year and you're probably out next year. Also fair and straightforward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.