Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching loyalties? AA to DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2003, 12:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LINDEGR:
AA on-line purchases of upgrades are the same amount as DL, $40 per 500 miles when purchased in groups of four.

I just did the switch from PM on DL to Plat on AA and I think AA's domestic F service is MUCH better. International J is a split decision- DL has a better seat but AA has better food and wine.

Also, as others have noted, if domestic B/E service goes away, you'd be very sorry if you made the switch. If DL keeps domestic B/E service, then you'll just be moderately sorry.
</font>
If I made the switch, I would most likely not be flying DL on international routes and I already know I prefer the international J service on CO over AA (especially the CO codeshare with VS).

This decision is totally contingent on DL service on the transcontinental market. No reminder needed here. In fact, the sole reason I fly AA internationally is to maintain PLT status so I can upgrade on AA transcontinental! This is why my primary question is the upgrade success rate of a DL GM on the transcontinental routes.

[This message has been edited by AAlton (edited 06-12-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
It is way too early to tell what shape the DL/NW/CO alliance will take, so I wouldn't do any long range planning based on that just yet. For example, I'm not sure you'd ever be able to earn Delta status miles flying on a CO ticket on a VS codeshare flight.

As others have noted, I also wouldn't depend on Delta retaining any BusinessElite transcontinental service.

It would seem to me that if you're going to fly NW to AMS, and fly VS on a CO ticket to LHR, you'd be better off -- for now, at least -- going with CO and doing your transcontinental travel out of EWR on CO until the DL/CO/NW thing sorts out, at which time you could switch to Delta's JFK-LAX service and theoretically acrue CO elite credit on the DL domestic flights.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
It is way too early to tell what shape the DL/NW/CO alliance will take, so I wouldn't do any long range planning based on that just yet. For example, I'm not sure you'd ever be able to earn Delta status miles flying on a CO ticket on a VS codeshare flight.

As others have noted, I also wouldn't depend on Delta retaining any BusinessElite transcontinental service.

It would seem to me that if you're going to fly NW to AMS, and fly VS on a CO ticket to LHR, you'd be better off -- for now, at least -- going with CO and doing your transcontinental travel out of EWR on CO until the DL/CO/NW thing sorts out, at which time you could switch to Delta's JFK-LAX service and theoretically acrue CO elite credit on the DL domestic flights.
</font>
I'm not really depending on any DL/CO/NW reciprocal agreement, but it would be a bonus. I'm pretty sure any agreement would still require me to fly as a DL GM on the transcontinental routes to get upgraded and a CO GE on the VS codeshare. After reading a little about CO transcontinental service, I think I'd rather use the AA or DL transcontinental service.

Ultimately all it comes down to whether DL will reduce the service on the transcontinental routes and more so the relative upgrade success rate for a GM flying these routes. I have mentioned my upgrade success rate on AA is 100%. Is the experience of a DL GM similar?

Thanks for your insight!

Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Instead of connecting through ZRH, why don't you connect through LHR with the transatlantic portion on AA and the transchannel portion on BA? Or why not connect through BRU as AA just signed a codeshare agreement with SN Brussels Airlines?

May I ask what is it about ZRH that you find annoying? I personally find it a decent airport and the SR staff are outstanding, almost as good as CX staff.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 6:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by francophile:
May I ask what is it about ZRH that you find annoying? I personally find it a decent airport and the SR staff are outstanding, almost as good as CX staff.</font>
It's nothing specific with ZRH, I would just rather take a direct flight. That option is open to me on DL, CO and NW. However, I need every flight I can to maintain PLT status with AA which I need to get upgraded on JFK-SFO/LAX. So what I am trying to get a feel for is how regular the upgrade success is for a DL GM on the JFK-SFO/LAX route.

Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
The agents in the LAX CRC told me on Tuesday that the switch to 757's from 763's for the transcons was disturbing as they will know many regulars will switch to AA. IMHO, J seating and service on AA is superior to F on a DL 757.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
The agents in the LAX CRC told me on Tuesday that the switch to 757's from 763's for the transcons was disturbing as they will know many regulars will switch to AA. IMHO, J seating and service on AA is superior to F on a DL 757.</font>
I think that's more than your humble opinion, it's a universal truth. If it turns out this switch is permanent, then my interest is entirely lost. My motive for considering the switch was for greater comfort on the international routes, but it isn't worth the sacrifice of transcontinental J which I fly much more often.

However, Rssrsvp, you are a DL GM based out of NYC. What is your upgrade success rate on the JFK-SFO/LAX routes? So far I haven't found enough samples from this thread or sifting through others to get an accurate view. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by AAlton (edited 06-13-2003).]
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:39 am

Stick with AA and for your Transatlantics, which you say are in paid J, try EI from NY to DUB and connect to AMS,Sorry no FC to upgrade to with EI

That way you will still get AA elite miles for your account.

Swiss is in financial problems again. TRY EI

Don't know if better than via Zurich, but anything is beter than London
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One very real possibility is that AA will at some point cut back even more on its 3 class transcons.

When UAL was at death's door several months ago, there was a lot of speculation that UAL's liquidation would signal the end of AFS (AA's 3 class domestic).

Since it appears more likely that UAL will not liquidate in the near term, perhaps the AFS is here for a while longer.

Sounds like AAlton needs to discover MRs to attain EXP.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by francophile:
Or why not connect through BRU as AA just signed a codeshare agreement with SN Brussels Airlines?</font>
Though that would require traveling NYC-ORD-BRU-AMS, as AA only services BRU via ORD and SN currently does not operate any transatlantic flights. But still: stick with AA!

Edited to add: With the new AA/BA codeshare, LGA-YYZ-LHR(-AMS) is now also an option.

[This message has been edited by ExtrAAordinaire (edited 06-13-2003).]
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
One very real possibility is that AA will at some point cut back even more on its 3 class transcons.

When UAL was at death's door several months ago, there was a lot of speculation that UAL's liquidation would signal the end of AFS (AA's 3 class domestic).

Since it appears more likely that UAL will not liquidate in the near term, perhaps the AFS is here for a while longer.

Sounds like AAlton needs to discover MRs to attain EXP.
</font>
2-Class, 3-Class, as long as my trasncontinental seat has a 50+" pitch, I'm happy.

LOL, I don't have time for mileage runs and EXP won't increase the width or recline in my seat anyways. Thanks for the suggestion though!

[This message has been edited by AAlton (edited 06-13-2003).]
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
</font>
Correct!

From the myriad fine print at the bottom of the DL web page , we find that:

"Continental Airlines:
Mileage credit only applies to flights operated by Continental, ExpressJet, and Continental Micronesia."

In other words, you get neither miles nor status. You can earn SkyMiles on the VS flight, but not status.

Similar language is there regarding the KLM/NWA codeshares - a major bummer.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
AA bs Delta - should I switch??

As I posted on Community, I am moving from Madrid to Atlanta at the end of the week. (been packing all weekend!) I've been a Platinum on AA for several years but with DL's dominance in ATL, I'm considering switching, or at least gaining low tier status on both. I don't fly enough to earn mid-tier on both.

I will fly mostly domestic to CMH, LGA/JFK, RDU, and EWN (New Bern, NC).

I like the service I've been getting on AA, love my Citi AA credit card, the free upgrades for Plat's, the extra legroom in coach, etc.

Does Delta comp status so I can try them out as an elite rather than starting from scratch?

Should I jump or not?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:09 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
As someone who was top tier on both, I can say that you should stick with AA. I am curious about free upgrades for Plats.... Are those Y/B fares you're getting free upgrades on AA? Otherwise, domestically only EXP gets free upgrades...

If you don't mind connecting (and getting more miles) stick with AA. There's a very nice Admirals Club in the T concourse at ATL too...
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Right now Delta has been offering a lot of A class fares at reasonable rates from ATL and overall the fares have been much better from this hub. Whether this holds out or not, time will tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.