Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2002, 12:29 pm
PMD

Programs: DL GM, UA PE, National EE, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
I was upgraded from AMS to PRG on Czech from Y to J. I was a M fare from ATL to AMS with a systemwide upgrade and we showed our Delta cards (one person gold and the other platinum)
Old May 8, 2002, 12:39 pm

Once when flying from FLL to MXP on an upgraded ticket, the FLL-JFK leg was late and I missed the JFK-MXP leg. I was rerouted from JFK-CDG-MXP and placed in a Y seat. After everyone boarded, one of the flight attendants came to my seat (with some other passenger with her) and asked me to come with her. At first I didn't want to go with her because I thought they might have realized that my seat was already assigned to that passenger and that I might end up with no seat. Well, she discreetly told me that they upgraded me to C, so I went along with her nicely :-)

------------------
Mark DL PM/HH GD
Old May 8, 2002, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA, DL-PM
I had an op. upgrade from full-fare Y to Business a year or so ago coming back CDG-BOS. They scanned my BP, the readed beeped oddly, and they told me (and a colleague I was traveling with) that we'd been upgraded.

It seems that AF is more likely to do this than anyone else!
Old May 8, 2002, 4:22 pm
In Memoriam

I am more often than not upgraded on KE, I don't know if it my devilish good looks <G> or my DL PM status.

Wait that's right, I don't have devilish good looks.
Old May 8, 2002, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by underpressure:
I am more often than not upgraded on KE, I don't know if it my devilish good looks &lt;G&gt; or my DL PM status.

Wait that's right, I don't have devilish good looks.
</font>
Are you upgraded on KE because they have overbooked coach? If I bought a Biz fare on KE to SE Asia, would I likely be upgraded to FC as a PM?

Old May 8, 2002, 10:16 pm

Aero Mexico and Korean Air have been very
generous and kind to GM/PM off-and-on.
Old May 22, 2002, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Operational Upgrade Question

I'm flying ATL - LGW this weekend on a Q Fare -- the flights show availability up front. If I was going to ask for an operational upgrade -- where should I ask? Any tips would be appreciated.

At the gate agent at IAD where I leave for the connection to ATL, at the Crown Room in ATL or at the gate?

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2002, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Based on considerable experience in this area, I believe that operational upgrades can be done ONLY by the gate handling the actual flight - in other words, ATL. When they start working the flight, about 4 hours before departure, they will see how overbooked coach is and upgrade a few high-status frequent flyers to make room. As departure time approaches, they may upgrade a few more, if necessary. All operational upgrades seem to be based on status. Only the gate staff can or will do this for you.

Bruce
Old May 22, 2002, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
As a GM, I guess I'd have a shot of at least being considered. Although there doesn't seem to be an oversell situation on these flights, so it's probably unlikely.

Thanks for the reply.
Old May 22, 2002, 1:24 pm

Please let me know how this works out for you. I'm doing the a London trip (PHL-ATL-LGW) next weekend, also on a Q fare.

Jeff
Old May 22, 2002, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

It may show open seats, but there might be 20 people on the waitlist. Don't be mislead.

As to operational upgrades... it happens once in a great while, but really not often. And everytime a FF tells an agent about when they got one before, or a friend got one, or.... it just puts the idea of a GA doing an upgrade closer to extinction. That is what happened that brough SGB into reality. Too many people complained when they DL would not kiss their a*s, that they just stopped it all.
Old May 23, 2002, 10:27 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I had a talk with 2 red coats in ATL on the international concourse.
I asked how they determine who to give the operational upgrades to.
They both said they use the fare paid to decide who to hand them out to.
"So I'm a PM/MM who flies every week for big bucks and I get a chance to buy an L fare overseas. But your going to give the upgrade to a first year Silver who paid a few dollars more."
"Yes sir, that's how we work the flights."
BTW, I was not trying to get up front as I already had my BE seat.

[This message has been edited by Tomphot (edited 05-23-2002).]
Old May 23, 2002, 10:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Really funny that they said this. Just this year I've been comped from my cozy ER seat to BE on an L fare. I guess the entire plane was also L fares then, eh?

GMF
Old May 23, 2002, 10:38 am

The official Delta policy in GRS states that FARE PAID should be the ONLY criterion used to upgrade passengers operationally. A non-medallion on a Y fare should get the first op-upgrade ahead of a Platinum on an L fare.

Unfortunately, too many agents disregard this rule and upgrade Medallions instead. I urge you to please document and report these violations of Delta's policy to the RPU so that appropriate disciplinary action can be taken against the agents.
Old May 23, 2002, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
The official Delta policy in GRS states that FARE PAID should be the ONLY criterion used to upgrade passengers operationally. A non-medallion on a Y fare should get the first op-upgrade ahead of a Platinum on an L fare.

Unfortunately, too many agents disregard this rule and upgrade Medallions instead. I urge you to please document and report these violations of Delta's policy to the RPU so that appropriate disciplinary action can be taken against the agents.
</font>
Well, I've been upgraded to BE at least 3X on U fares! So SGB aside, the GAs do OK by me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.