Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2001, 2:54 pm
Suspended

I've had a dozen V upgrades and nothing was deducted. It's totally discretionary.
The agent's mood, experience and px load
are controlling factors.
If GM's lose 800-mile segments and PM's don't, it's a troubling anomoly in the reward structure, because I've never had V upgrades deducted at either level.
Old Feb 5, 2001, 4:47 pm
Original Member

PMs have unlimited 800 mile segment upgrades.
Old Feb 5, 2001, 4:47 pm
Original Member

[This message has been edited by james (edited 02-05-2001).]
Old Feb 5, 2001, 6:52 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
James, to me, a PM, these are useless unlimited 800 segments upgrades.... since Delta does not upgrade L, U fares...
(even though sometimes F was half full)

no, never given an operational upgrade in many years of being elite member either..
Old Feb 5, 2001, 7:02 pm

Oh. And I'm not sure how 'operational' it was...but once when traveling SJO-ATL, right as we were leaving the gate at SJO the FA came back to where I was sitting (second row of coach) and said 'Mr. Biometrist...would you like to move up front?' The Latin American Business First cabin was more than half empty. I was on an M fare. Coach was half empty too.

As I was moving (quickly) up front, a passenger nearby said 'I'll go too if you have more space'. The FA said 'Well, that's what you get for being Gold Medallion' or something to that effect.

I was a happy camper that flight. ps the nuts were warm.
Old Feb 6, 2001, 2:51 am

My wife and I got an operational to BE on MUC to ATL last April, flying on $380 RT tickets no less. And neither of us had status, though my wife is a half million miler.

My parents got operationals on ATL to Grand Cayman last month, my dad on a restricted coach ticket and my mom on a 35,000 FF reward - dad is GM and mom has no status. Pretty surprising, especially considering the general tenor of this board.
Old Feb 6, 2001, 8:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Was on a flight last night that was delayed due to a mechanical. Noticed there was 1 seat empty in F. Got off the plane, asked for the seat (was ticketed in U-class though). Was told (after some checking) that there had been a waitlist and that all the people who had been on it had priority over me and that the computer would report something amiss if I got it and they didn't. Another guy at the counter who was not on a LUser fare and was on the waitlist overheard and got the seat. He was indignant that he hadn't been placed in it earlier. (someone who had checked in for F hadn't made their connection or skipped out on the flight). He ended up in the seat, but wasn't very nice about it. Personally, since I noticed the empty seat, I think I should have got it, but at least the gate agent was honest with me instead of dismissing me with "get lost LUser, your fare does not permit you to upgrade."

The FAs should have noticed a seat in F was empty and brought someone forward from coach, if we had left on time, in my opinion.

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Feb 6, 2001, 5:51 pm
Original Member

On DL US/Europe flights, I have gotten operational upgrades 4 or 5 times/out of maybe 50 segments. As mentioned on previous threads...never order special meals on overbooked international flights - you are likely omitted from the operational upgrade list!

As to the prior post where two people were traveling and only one got an operational upgrade. My girlfriend and I were flying on the same flight, but with different itineries. She was in coach, and I received the last upgrade to first. Since she didn't get upgraded, I went back to her row and asked the person in the middle seat if he wished to change places with me. I didn't tell him my seat was in 1st, but I did mention that it was not a center seat. He accepted my offer. I guess he was pleasantly surprised when he found where his new seat was!
Old Feb 6, 2001, 8:09 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Aubie: that was true love!

MUC flyer: the point of an "operational" upgrade is that it is done for the convenience of the airline. If coach is oversold, somebody has to be moved forward. What our stories show is that Delta at least has enough sense to check if there are frequent flyers to go first -- even if, as in your case, you're not medallion.

We stretch the term, I think, to include charity upgrades from front-line personnel who are compensating us for delays, missed connections, cancellations, &c. When no points or SWU's are taken, I tend to think of it as a: compensatory upgrade when they screwed your trip up, or: an operational upgrade when they wanted your seat.

[edited for clarity and spelling]

[This message has been edited by LexPassenger (edited 02-06-2001).]
Old Feb 7, 2001, 7:27 am
Original Member

I was offered an operational upgrade a few weeks ago due to a weight/balance issue. Early Saturday morning flight from LIT-CVG was booked F 0 Y 25. My fare did not qualify for an upgrade, thus I was seated in coach.
A few minutes before departure, the gate agent came on the aircraft and asked if I would move to the first class cabin. I told the agent that numerous times I had seen open FC seats when traveling on L class fares and my PM status did not allow me to as much as standby for an open seat.
With that being Delta's rule, I kept the seat I was assigned and refused the upgrade.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally posted by MW Smith:
I was offered an operational upgrade a few weeks ago due to a weight/balance issue. Early Saturday morning flight from LIT-CVG was booked F 0 Y 25. My fare did not qualify for an upgrade, thus I was seated in coach.
A few minutes before departure, the gate agent came on the aircraft and asked if I would move to the first class cabin. I told the agent that numerous times I had seen open FC seats when traveling on L class fares and my PM status did not allow me to as much as standby for an open seat.
With that being Delta's rule, I kept the seat I was assigned and refused the upgrade.
MW Smith,
You are definitely in the minority. Most of us would have taken the seat. What was the agents reaction?

Old Apr 17, 2001, 9:28 am

JFK-NRT mileage run: got operational upgrades both directions!

Flew JFK-NRT on $615 fare last week. I'm GM. On both legs the flights were overbooked and I was upgraded automatically to Biz Elite at the gates. Wow!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 17, 2001, 9:40 am

Dontcha just love it when that happens...
Old Apr 17, 2001, 9:46 am

How sweet it is! And I thought getting my 800 segment upgrades for Friday ELP-DFW-LAX on a $138 one-way fare was great. How about a report in the FT trip reports forum?
Old Apr 17, 2001, 1:35 pm

If you have the time, I would love to see a trip report about your trip in the FlyerTalk Trip Reports forum! Delta BusinessElite is a good product by all means, but it will have to stack up against JAL, ANA, and CO, all of whom have good business class products (plus UA and NW, which have a notch lower biz class IMHO).

How were the loads in BusinessElite and coach?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.