FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49922-throw-away-ticketing-hidden-city-ticketing-skipping-legs-definitive-thread.html)

ATOBTTR Jul 22, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31329908)
No you've missed the point. As others have seemed to have understood, there's no need to makeup a reason.

You keep choosing to be stuck on something that wasn’t the primary point, and you also miss the point that is trying to be made that not all city pairs for hidden city have or carry equal risk, which is also the point I was making. BOS-LAX-SAN carries far less risk than say LAX-CVG-DCA because in IROPS LAX is going to be a reasonable alternate to SAN - a point that you and I have both made. But for the LAX-CVG-DCA example, maybe if the IROPS is bad enough and the lines or phones are slammed enough you may get an agent who may not care or just pushes through LAX-HUB-CVG-DC and moves on and enables you to get to CVG. But it cannot be counted on based on availability into CVG as well as an agent trying to figure out some routing through CVG for you when CVG has limited options, which emphasizes the point I and others have made about hidden city risks with IROPS. Certain hidden city ticket options carry more risk in this regard. You keep getting hung up on the SAN example specifically because you want to argue some point that wasn’t the primary point rather than recognizing the overall point that was being made by myself and others with regards to the potential risks of hidden city ticketing.

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31329908)
DL will allow you to reroute how you want and to change destination without issue.

So the next time I have IROPS flying into SAT from Detroit, I can change my destination to HNL or OGG or if I have my passport, go overseas to Europe or Asia or Australia? Good to know.

Something tells me you’re a little wrong there, and DL is not just going to change your destination or routing to “allow you to reroute how you want” or “change the destination without issue”. There’s going to be a degree of reasonableness factored in. “Now reasonable” might still result in some funky routings because of availability or even the use of a not-that-close alternate because of the circumstances. I’ve done SFO-ATL-PHX when VDB’ed from SFO-LAX-PHX and I’ve used GSO for BWI when BWI got a hurricane weather waiver one time. But in those cases, those were reasonable options given the circumstances. But I highly doubt you’ll be able to switch your ATL-SAT leg to ATL-HNL and a Hawaii vacation if SAT is experiencing afternoon thunderstorms.....

nystateofmind Jul 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 31329403)
I think the E175 and E170 aircraft do not valet check bags. They have larger overhead bins, and your bag will be gate checked to final destination if there is no space.

Now that I think about it those may have been E170/175 flights which are operated by regional airlines (which is what I meant by RJ). One was a situation where they canceled CR9 from DCA-JFK and put everyone on Delta Shuttle to LGA then originally balked at providing transportation to JFK where vehicle was. Since it was 4 people going for a weekend to DCA it was cheaper to park than take Uber or public transportation.

SamOF Jul 22, 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 31330134)
But for the LAX-CVG-DCA example, maybe if the IROPS is bad enough and the lines or phones are slammed enough you may get an agent who may not care or just pushes through LAX-HUB-CVG-DC and moves on and enables you to get to CVG.

And as others have mentioned multiple times, that's just not necessary. Just pick LAX-HUB-CVG-DC on the app through the IROPS rebooking tool. It works if your flight is delayed for 10 minutes. No hold time necessary.

Colin Jul 22, 2019 4:14 pm

my official ruling is that every couple months for a year is entering into risky territory.

an excellent strategy to reduce the risk is to get a refund for the unflown segment due to any flight delay or advance schedule change.

pretty much every flight booked 4 months in advance will have a schedule change.
high chance of a two-segment itinerary to have some delay in either segment.

i’d wage you can get the unflown segment refunded 3 out of 4 times, in which case your risk is then based upon a once per 8 months frequency of leaving a segment unflown. which is essentially zero.

ATOBTTR Jul 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF (Post 31331199)
And as others have mentioned multiple times, that's just not necessary. Just pick LAX-HUB-CVG-DC on the app through the IROPS rebooking tool. It works if your flight is delayed for 10 minutes. No hold time necessary.

It only works if the App returns that option. Or your hidden ticket strategy works if the App returns a LAX-CVG-DC Area flight for the next day and that works for your schedule. But even the rebooking tool in IROPS is going to return nonstops and 1 stop connections prior to 2 stop itineraries and it may not even list any routings via CVG as an option. And if it doesn’t, that may well take getting a human on the phone to try to get an agent to force a routing that eventually goes through CVG who may or may not play the game for you. Or the routings you could get to go via CVG are just full, especially since CVG has fewer frequencies than other hubs.

Again, all that’s being pointed out is the potential risks and pitfalls associated with hidden city ticketing. I don’t think anyone is denying that most of the time, right, wrong, or indifferent, it works out for the traveler with no issues. But it’s up to the traveler on whether they want to engage in it based on all the applicable risks and potential consequences of each risk.

nwa330 Jul 27, 2019 10:30 pm

With my family of 4 I book one to my destination and tag all the bags there. The other 3 then travel with no bags. As far as miles I value them as worthless today so I won’t claim those flights, and status means nothing to me domestically. At the end of the day a coach seat is a coach. All my years with status I didn’t feel any different then those without it. Now back in the 90s it had real perks. I would rather save $1000+ then have a few thousand miles. Now international just grab the bag and go.

GUWonder Jul 28, 2019 2:43 am

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31325284)
UA has a form letter they send out along with a payment demand to those who do chronic hidden city ticketing.https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912152-post224.html

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/...h-collections/

I believe there have been a few of stories about AA doing it as well. Have not heard of any stories involving DL demanding payment.

Given DL has been amongst the most notoriously aggressive in revenue protection management measures of other sorts at least, I would be very much surprised if DL is devoid of any and all history of going after some hidden city ticket sellers/buyers.

There are potential risks and pitfalls from making use of the hidden city ticket methods, but getting the airline RPU to go after someone for hidden ticket use takes some real pushing of the limits before it hits.

pfreet Jul 29, 2019 4:24 am

Amazing thread, full of speculation and tips on how to game the system, and nobody has answered the OP's question. :-)

I have to conclude from all of this that delta doesn't mind, unless you're a travel agent doing this for multiple clients

GUWonder Jul 29, 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by pfreet (Post 31353761)
Amazing thread, full of speculation and tips on how to game the system, and nobody has answered the OP's question. :-)

I have to conclude from all of this that delta doesn't mind, unless you're a travel agent doing this for multiple clients

I wouldn’t conclude that, but I would conclude that travel agents are financially most at risk if doing this a lot, and that most retail customers doing the hidden city/throwaway ticket/nested ticket thing don’t get hit by DL RPU or whatever it’s called. But that doesn’t mean DL can’t or won’t go after some individuals just because they can and want to send a message/set an example of sort to percolate around.

I know way more people who have done dozens of hidden city or nested tickets with DL than

nwa330 Jul 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by remyontheroad (Post 31324941)
Asking for a friend....

This friend has dropped the last leg of probably say....6-8 flights in the last 12 months...it's split a calendar year and it's been split between TATL JV partners.

Never heard a peep, but just starting to wonder if when it actually catches up?

Anyone with any actual experience?

thanks.

I do it all the time but I don’t claim miles. Who cares about miles with $300 flights to Europe and Asia. Status is garbage unless your employer is paying for your flights.

mayhem Nov 26, 2019 6:21 am

Similar situation here and not sure if I fully get it despite reading through many threads - this one seems a very good one, so asking here.

I need to fly JFK-ZRH from Wed-Sat one week and JFK-LHR the following week, in J. I try to credit everything to DL.
Trying to do this on 1 ticket gets met to anywhere between $11k-$32k; doing it on separate tickets gets me to $7k and $5k.

Doing this in a nested way (if that's the correct term) with ticket A: JFK-ZRH LHR-ZRH and ticket B: ZRH-JFK-LHR (which has the Saturday night stay) gets me to a more reasonable $3.8k and $5k on a combination of DL and VS.
Ticket A says END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED
Ticket B says END-ON-END PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED

Question: are these rules only applicable when you try to build the 1 single ticket (my $32k thing), or do they also apply if I plan 2 separate tickets?
In theory can the airline really prohibit me from going home in the middle of my trip?

Thank you!

ijgordon Nov 26, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mayhem (Post 31778234)
Doing this in a nested way (if that's the correct term) with ticket A: JFK-ZRH LHR-ZRH and ticket B: ZRH-JFK-LHR (which has the Saturday night stay) gets me to a more reasonable $3.8k and $5k on a combination of DL and VS.

In theory can the airline really prohibit me from going home in the middle of my trip?
Do you mean ticket A is JFK-ZRH / LHR-JFK?

I think technically you're circumventing the Saturday stay requirement, but no they can't "prohibit" you from going home mid-trip. They could try and charge you extra for that privilege, though. Practically speaking, it's unlikely, and even more so if you can purchase one ticket from VS and one from DL (not sure if VS will sell you a leg on DL's JFK-ZRH service though, I don't think they codeshare there). But VS will sell you JFK-LHR-ZRH with the European leg on BA -- though you'll forego some SkyMiles, add a segment, and have to do a T3-T5 connection at LHR.

So for example, you buy ticket A (JFK-LHR-ZRH / LHR-JFK) from VS and then ticket B (ZRH-JFK/JFK-LHR) from DL.
I would try to get as many DL-marketed segments as you can -- given your price points, you'll likely earn more RDMs and MQDs that way vs. on VS-marketed flights, though I haven't done the math.

xliioper Nov 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by mayhem (Post 31778234)
Similar situation here and not sure if I fully get it despite reading through many threads - this one seems a very good one, so asking here.

I need to fly JFK-ZRH from Wed-Sat one week and JFK-LHR the following week, in J. I try to credit everything to DL.
Trying to do this on 1 ticket gets met to anywhere between $11k-$32k; doing it on separate tickets gets me to $7k and $5k.

Ticket A says END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED
Ticket B says END-ON-END PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED

Question: are these rules only applicable when you try to build the 1 single ticket (my $32k thing), or do they also apply if I plan 2 separate tickets?

Thank you!

You are quoting the fare rules which have to with combining multiple fares on a single ticket. They don't cover what's allowed when booking the fares on separate tickets. These are covered by "prohibited practices" in ticketing rules and restrictions section -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/booking-...s-restrictions

In many cases, it's completely acceptable to purchase fares on separate tickets to get a cheaper price due to fare combinability restrictions. The main case where it is not is when you using it in a back-to-back manner with roundtrip fares which require a min/Sat-night stay (where one round-trip is embedded in another in the opposite direction so that they both meet the min/Sat-night stay rules). It sounds like you may be violating this prohibited practice (however, there's very little evidence they are actively going after people for doing this -- particularly if they are one-off instances).

mayhem Nov 27, 2019 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31779136)
Do you mean ticket A is JFK-ZRH / LHR-JFK?

Oops correct. And your interpretation is that I am technically circumventing the minimum stay rules since the JFK-ZRH leg has a rule that says 10night minimum stay, but return from anywhere in Europe. Returning before that jacks it up by a few $000

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31779614)
You are quoting the fare rules which have to with combining multiple fares on a single ticket. They don't cover what's allowed when booking the fares on separate tickets. These are covered by "prohibited practices" in ticketing rules and restrictions section -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/booking-...s-restrictions

In many cases, it's completely acceptable to purchase fares on separate tickets to get a cheaper price due to fare combinability restrictions. The main case where it is not is when you using it in a back-to-back manner with roundtrip fares which require a min/Sat-night stay (where one round-trip is embedded in another in the opposite direction so that they both meet the min/Sat-night stay rules). It sounds like you may be violating this prohibited practice (however, there's very little evidence they are actively going after people for doing this -- particularly if they are one-off instances).

Thanks both - this is probably the most sophisticated thread I've ever had to think through on FT!

Seems like indeed I'd be in the prohibited practice zone since this is de facto back-to-back ticketing. Using another carrier is an option (VS) but as mentioned here, the hassle of the T5 to T3 change and the long trip doesn't make it that attractive either. My current best option is to actually turn ticket B into a FRA-JFK-LHR one since FRA-JFK has lower restrictions than ZRH-JFK, and just add on one early morning hop ZRH-FRA.
I could also just fly with star alliance but ... I care about the miles...

Thanks for the help - you answered my questions.

FYI update/edit: ended up not doing the back to back but found myself a way to save by booking the JFK-ZRH / LHR-JFK and adding a cheap ZRH-LHR one-way in there bought separately. It's still $2k more expensive but not in the $15k, $20k, or $32k range that I saw when trying to combine them in other ways (got to LOL when you see DL.com quote $20k for some flights in the 767 Delta One)

breathesrain Jan 15, 2020 9:25 am

"Hidden City" ticketing - travel agent only

I was trying to find a good deal on flights into NYC from Mexico, and kept getting hidden city fares recommended to me. When I went to Google flights to check the veracity of those tickets, they are all marked as "call a travel agent to book", which I thought was really interesting. Maybe there's an algorithm to flag flights like that that are easy to exploit, so people would have to call and talk to a human before trying to ditch a segment? Seems like a pretty good way to preserve the cheap fares they intend to provide and cut down on the "optimizing", if so. Is this a known tactic? And is it preemptive, or just a result of noticing a significant number of passengers missing the final leg on similar flights?