Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Southern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamont2718
Last updated: 8/29/2016

In early 2015, Delta began publishing blackout dates for DL award redemptions on China Southern flights. The following blackout dates are now found in the Delta SkyMiles terms and conditions (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...blackout+dates):

Europe to China
Mar. 18 - Mar. 26
Apr. 13 - Apr. 23
Jun. 25 - Aug. 30
Oct. 4 - Oct. 23
Dec. 8 - Dec. 23

China to Europe
Jan. 2 - Jan. 15
Mar. 27 - Apr. 10
Apr. 17 - Apr. 28
Jun. 20 - Oct. 2
Oct. 17 - Oct. 28

North America to China
Feb. 12 - Feb. 24
May 12 - Jun. 30
Jul. 25 - Aug. 31
Oct. 4 - Oct. 14
Dec. 8 - Dec. 23

China to North America
Jan 2. - Jan. 15
Jan. 29 - Feb. 9
Jun. 24 - Sep. 4
Sep. 27 - Oct. 2

Oceania to China
Jan. 1 - Jan. 5
Feb. 11 - Feb. 22
Jun. 19 - Jun. 27
Nov. 29 - Jan. 10, 2017

China to Oceania
Jan. 1 - Mar. 2
Jul. 10 - Aug. 10
Sep. 27 - Oct. 5

The 2016 blackout dates for North America to China cover 128 days, or 35% of the calendar year.
Print Wikipost

China Southern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:07 pm

Awesome. Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I hope I am posting this to the right thread. On Concur I can book a flight back from PEK to SJO on the 6th at 10 pm. I don't even see this option on the Delta website. Is there a way to get this to work? I see PEK, PVG, ATL, SJO. The flght leaves at 7pm. Perfect flight for me. delta only shows one leaving at 5:30 which does not work at all. any way to get this to work?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I booked a revenue economy ticket for a family member via priceline on CZ 300 (JFK to CAN), the family member added her DL at airport check-in.

Now her DL account says this ticket is not eligible for miles accrual? Any idea why?

N - This reason code means that this segment status is:
Activity is not eligible for mileage credit
I couldn't quite tell the booking class as it's booked via priceline.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by allanfan
I booked a revenue economy ticket for a family member via priceline on CZ 300 (JFK to CAN), the family member added her DL at airport check-in.

Now her DL account says this ticket is not eligible for miles accrual? Any idea why?

I couldn't quite tell the booking class as it's booked via priceline.
Probably because it was booked on priceline.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
Probably because it was booked on priceline.
Really? I'm not sure if CZ website takes US-based credit card, so you prob have to book a revenue ticket via a 3rd party.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by allanfan
Really? I'm not sure if CZ website takes US-based credit card, so you prob have to book a revenue ticket via a 3rd party.
If it was booked through priceline, it does not matter which CC the CZ site takes. Typically, and especially with Delta, purchases through OTA do not accrue mileage (redeemable or MQM).

And I have not had a problem using a US CC at a CZ ticket window in China.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm getting a good business class return fare from del-jfk on cz next month....the booking falls under 'j' for one segment & 'i' for the other 3....i know i'll earn 100% mqms for 'j' & 75% for 'i' but does anyone have any idea how to calculate the exact number????
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:11 am

China Southern

Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
Delta is going to codeshare with China Southern. Am I being cynical or naive or just plain chicken because I am not interested in getting on China Southern to earn Delta frequent flyer miles? Seems Delta is dropping to third-tier in some of its "partners".
I had a domestic China Southern flight last month and it was very good. The meal was fine and the beer cold.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:49 am

Question best miles strategy?

hi all,

longtime reader firsttime poster

possibly a stupid question, but these days I'm more a BA/avios user so not sure of the best approach here. I'm a Delta skymiles member but rarely take them anymore due to not being based stateside anymore and find SM coverage in europe to be not as good for my specific purpose.

Recently did LHR-CAN-BKK (+ back) on class E with China Southern.

Am I better to claim these miles through Delta, or claim them under CS Skypearl as a new member? Any thoughts on which one would retain more of their value?

Thank you very much for any help.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
How long does it normally take for CZ flights to post to DL? I'm used to most SkyTeam partners posting almost immediately. I'm now a week after my outbound flights and no posting yet. It's a D and J fare but that shouldn't matter.

Thanks,
RM
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
How long does it normally take for CZ flights to post to DL? I'm used to most SkyTeam partners posting almost immediately. I'm now a week after my outbound flights and no posting yet. It's a D and J fare but that shouldn't matter.

Thanks,
RM
Two datapoints: 4 and 7 days before they showed up on Delta.com
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:53 am

Skymiles on CZ

Hi -

I was told today that DL no longer allows award bookings using Skymiles on CZ. Is that true? Anyone else confirm? Or is this the case of having the wrong agent answering the phone?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Hi -

I was told today that DL no longer allows award bookings using Skymiles on CZ. Is that true? Anyone else confirm? Or is this the case of having the wrong agent answering the phone?
Nope. Just flew CZ from SYD to BKK via CAN two days ago on SM award. Booked four days ago via website.

Not sure why an agent would think you couldn't book flights on a Skyteam partner with miles. Where were you trying to flying to/from? There can be a restriction sometimes based on that.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:06 pm

NYC to TYO via CAN.

No idea why they told me that. Per the CZ site a biz class seat should be 120K miles - didnt see anything show up on the website but that doesnt mean anything to me. Calling DL now and hoping for better luck.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
NYC to TYO via CAN.

No idea why they told me that. Per the CZ site a biz class seat should be 120K miles - didnt see anything show up on the website but that doesnt mean anything to me. Calling DL now and hoping for better luck.
It could be an invalid routing for an award is the issue. It could also be that there's just nothing available. US-Tokyo is a hard route to get an award on.

The CZ website has zero to do with a Skymiles award. The availability, routings, rules, and pricing are governed by the program the miles come from. Airlines don'toffer all their award seats to their partners. Each airline allows the other to book only what they've given them. However if no awards show on the CZ website then there's probably nothing that DL can book.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 28, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.