Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by kipper
Great news for your friend!!! Was his bone marrow transplant from a family member or a stranger?

Can I do a quick public service announcement that everyone should volunteer to donate bone marrow if you meet the age qualifications??? Its a quick process to register, and you might save a person's life by donating!

Geno is back to his normal happy self! It's hard to not have a good morning when you wake up to a happy face!...
It was from his birth mother (he was adopted), and finding her was pretty much a "last hope". It's really an amazing story (I get kinda' sappy thinking about it). It turns out, she lives on the same lake as my mom. ...only a few houses down! We've all become really close friends. After grilling, as long as the weather holds, we're going to do some sunset boating.

Yes; I should have made the PSA, but wasn't thinking. Thanks!

Hooray Geno!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
It was from his birth mother (he was adopted), and finding her was pretty much a "last hope". It's really an amazing story (I get kinda' sappy thinking about it). It turns out, she lives on the same lake as my mom. ...only a few houses down! We've all become really close friends. After grilling, as long as the weather holds, we're going to do some sunset boating.

Yes; I should have made the PSA, but wasn't thinking. Thanks!

Hooray Geno!
Very cool! Sounds like it's a great story and it's been a great reunion!

Yes, he's my happy boy!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Welcome back, DiverDave! DL Plat until 2/1 in 2015 now, unfortunately.
I cleared Hilton Diamond on nights already (with a lot of help from a 28 night stay at the ES in Lompoc), but am on a path to fall to Delta FO or GM unless I work at it.
I am now Delta Diamond until January 2016 ^

Hilton -despite a huge number of stays and nights I have still not remade Gold. As I commute to Dayton, OH each week though I should easily make Hilton Gold . However, the company is insisting I relocate so there will be a little less flying next year and certainly less Hotel nights. There is still an outside chance I can make Hilton Diamond this year.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jul 26, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am now Delta Diamond until January 2016 ^

Hilton -despite a huge number of stays and nights I have still not remade Gold. As I commute to Dayton, OH each week though I should easily make Hilton Gold . However, the company is insisting I relocate so there will be a little less flying next year and certainly less Hotel nights. There is still an outside chance I can make Hilton Diamond this year.
I have requalified for Hertz Five Star this year, so I should be good until 2016. However I will not requalify for FO on Delta next year, and I have probably flown in F for my last time already

-J.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

Hilton -despite a huge number of stays and nights I have still not remade Gold.
Despite having very few stays at HHonors properties (two or three per year) I am Hilton Diamond through March 2015.

In 2012, around September, I reached $40,000 spend on my Surpass card. This was supposed to give me Diamond status until March 2014, but for some reason in January 2013, when I had barely put any spend on it, I received a new card extending it through March 2015.

I even called HHonors to verify it and they told me it was right.

Last year, I got a a BoA Travel Rewards Visa and it has no forex charge. Moreover, it gives me 1.5% back (which can be used for travel-related expenses). This means that it is not only cheaper for me to use the Visa in Israel than my Israeli credit card by also cheaper for me to use it in Europe than my German credit card.

I only use the Surpass card when I am in the States, staying at a Hilton, buying something on line from the States or paying in Israel when the charge is in US $ (mainly air fare). My year-to-date spending on my Amex is $3460 and I will obviously never hit Diamond again, but at $85 per year I figure it is worth keeping and being Gold.

At this point I would normally dump my German MasterCard but it includes a fantastic travel health insurance policy -- which covers just about all medical expenses as long as I am not in either Israel or Germany or away from home for more than 45 straight days.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If you're staying at Hiltons that much, it should be worth getting a credit card with automatic Gold.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I have requalified for Hertz Five Star this year, so I should be good until 2016. However I will not requalify for FO on Delta next year, and I have probably flown in F for my last time already

-J.
and you are HOW old ?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
If you're staying at Hiltons that much, it should be worth getting a credit card with automatic Gold.
Normally you would be totally correct. However, The Hilton group including Hampton Inns is the company preferred Hotel. I am forced when on company business to use the company issued B of A credit card. So can not go this route. The real real bummer is I am not allowed to use my DL Plat Amex when booking DL flights. That also has to go on the B of A credit card through our company appointed Travel Agent. So only on personal trips do I have this luxury.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
... grilled peach salad, followed by lamb kebabs. Not sure what we're doing for dessert yet, but I'll think of something. He used to own a wine shop (where I met him), so he's going to bring some killer vino. ...
sounds great ... our son is on his way up from Richmond; I'll be putting some Copper River sockeye salmon on the grill, along w fresh corn in the husks; salad is watermelon chunks w feta, basil, olive oil, salt & pepper; Wegmans key lime pie for dessert

planning to introduce him to Heritage Brewing Co tomorrow
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normally you would be totally correct. However, The Hilton group including Hampton Inns is the company preferred Hotel. I am forced when on company business to use the company issued B of A credit card. So can not go this route. The real real bummer is I am not allowed to use my DL Plat Amex when booking DL flights. That also has to go on the B of A credit card through our company appointed Travel Agent. So only on personal trips do I have this luxury.
ouch

my company was acquired a couple months ago and I have just seen the PowerPoint slides for the travel policy briefing ... we HAVE TO go thru Adtrav and use contracted airline rates (full disclosure: I haven't found out which airlines hold the contracts, but I can use my personal card -- Plat DL AmEx -- for all travel expenses) ... "the benefits to the many (corporate bottom line) outweigh the benefits to the few"
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:06 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jrl767
sounds great ... our son is on his way up from Richmond; I'll be putting some Copper River sockeye salmon on the grill, along w fresh corn in the husks; salad is watermelon chunks w feta, basil, olive oil, salt & pepper; Wegmans key lime pie for dessert

planning to introduce him to Heritage Brewing Co tomorrow
Does this mean if we can get down there sometime in the very near future, you'll grill steaks or some such for us?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The Hilton credit cards get you Hhonors Gold status. The fact that you have to use the company card just means you don't get the extra points, but you still have the status (and the status bonus on your base points).
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by jrl767
and you are HOW old ?
I'm 23

But I doubt I'll ever purchase F outright. And I don't anticipate EVER spending $2500 a year on flying.

Maybe if I get an airline job I'll have the opportunity to nonrev in F, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

-J.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Does this mean if we can get down there sometime in the very near future, you'll grill steaks or some such for us?
I actually don't eat beef, and I gather from upthread that you aren't a fan of entrees of the aquatic persuasion ... that said, I have a mean BBQ dry rub for either ribs or a honey-brined turkey breast which I am very willing to share
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I'm 23

But I doubt I'll ever purchase F outright. And I don't anticipate EVER spending $2500 a year on flying.

Maybe if I get an airline job I'll have the opportunity to nonrev in F, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

-J.
my son is 23 also

A/G/P buyups can be your friend, as can Pay-With-Miles ... of course this presumes that DL doesn't change the rules going forward, lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.