Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
I haven't had to ride Greyhound since college.
I have never but (I am totally serious) - it is on my bucket list.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Seriously? You aren't missing much.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Ok - what else is on your bucket list?

Maybe we should have a Gralistair Bucket List DO
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by jackplum
Ok - what else is on your bucket list?

That could be fun!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
In the northeast it's not so bad. Greyhound runs mostly new-ish Prevosts with Wi-Fi and power outlets. Then you get Peter Pan on the northeast corridor with MCIs of various ages (including some brand new, nicely-equipped J4500s), but my favorite is New York Trailways with their Prevost H3-45s -- those are top-spec, top-of-the-line 12-foot tall (!) motorcoaches. Now that's how you travel.

(And would you believe that's a 2010 with a new front cap? This is one of the old ghetto ones!)

BTW GRALISTAIR, you should sign up for Greyhound Road Rewards -- you get a 10% coupon just for signing up!

Back when I was in school, I started a crowdfunding page and a blog to see if I could raise enough money for a one-way Greyhound ticket from Salt Lake City to New York. If I raised enough money, I would take Greyhound for the 3+ day journey through places like Cheyenne, Moline, and Elkhart. I also started an accompanying blog.

Unfortunately, a week into the project, Delta lowered their round-trip fare to something ridiculous (around $250 IIRC), and I flew instead.

-J.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
If I raised enough money, I would take Greyhound for the 3+ day journey through places like Cheyenne, Moline, and Elkhart. I also started an accompanying blog.

-J.
Now you are getting it- also when I was young I used to see in the movies people getting on a Greyhound bus. Since then I always wanted to do it.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW - guess what I am drinking?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Anyone going to the Freddies this year?
Yes.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:28 pm

Liquid?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
This:

Greyhound Cocktail

6 fluid ounces of grapefruit juice and 1.5 fluid ounces of vodka or gin, mixed and served over ice.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

George Dickel - there is a thread about it on the DL forum about Skyclubs removing Jack Daniels and replacing it with Dickel - so I had to try it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24554328-post135.html

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Mar 24, 2015 at 10:35 am
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
I haven't had to ride Greyhound since college.
We rode Greyhound a couple times in 1998 when the clutch on my F-150 went out at Oshkosh. Having mastered clutchless shifting in my more more irresponsible high-school days, I was able to get the truck to a tire shop just north of the air show and arranged for a tow truck to haul it to a more appropriate shop to be repaired, then we walked across the street to the air show for the day. Afterwards we took a cab north & west to the next town out of Oshkosh, then hitchhiked back to our motel in central Wisconsin.

Next morning we hitchhiked to Tomah on I-94 & took the Greyhound back to Minneapolis. Ride was ok except that they didn't / wouldn't take my wife's luggage off in Minneapolis; her suitcase went all the way to Seattle & back.

When the clutch was fixed I took overnight buses back to Oshkosh via Milwaukee. One annoying DYKWIA (probably a Medallion level bus rider) with a wooden leg enjoyed pounding on his wooden foot with his cane until he turned it around 180 degrees & it was pointed backwards; then he'd pound on it some more & straighten it out.

Got back to the airshow on the final day in time to visit the museum but the air show itself had rained out that day.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Goerge Dickel - there is a thread about it on the DL forum about Skyclubs removing Jack Daniels and replacing it with Dickel - so I had to try it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24554328-post135.html
Lehava will be most displeased at this development ...

... which seems to be a continuation of an ever downward trend in Delta's wine & liquor quality.

We used to enjoy walking into the STL CRC Sky Club & having the bartender start pouring our cognacs (VSOP of course) the moment he spotted us. Fat chance of that happening today!

Last edited by MikeMpls; Mar 23, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We rode Greyhound a couple times in 1998 when the clutch on my F-150 went out at Oshkosh. Having mastered clutchless shifting in my more more irresponsible high-school days, I was able to get the truck to a tire shop just north of the air show and arranged for a tow truck to haul it to a more appropriate shop to be repaired, then we walked across the street to the air show for the day. Afterwards we took a cab north & west to the next town out of Oshkosh, then hitchhiked back to our motel in central Wisconsin.

Next morning we hitchhiked to Tomah on I-94 & took the Greyhound back to Minneapolis. Ride was ok except that they didn't / wouldn't take my wife's luggage off in Minneapolis; her suitcase went all the way to Seattle & back.

When the clutch was fixed I took overnight buses back to Oshkosh via Milwaukee. One annoying DYKWIA (probably a Medallion level bus rider) with a wooden leg enjoyed pounding on his wooden foot with his cane until he turned it around 180 degrees & it was pointed backwards; then he'd pound on it some more & straighten it out.

Got back to the airshow on the final day in time to visit the museum but the air show itself had rained out that day.
Sounds like a memorable trip! I'd have been very annoyed at the guy with the wooden leg.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Well I did make it to St. Thomas yesterday. Even though it rained a bit, it was a very nice trip overall, and I even saw a weasel climbing in the rocks near the beach! ...
You saw a politician climbing in the rocks near the beach?
Ha! No, an actual weasel It might have been a mongoose. I was hoping he would come over to me, but I had nothing to feed him. ...
you can tell the gender of a weasel from what appears to be a distance of at least 20 feet? I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.