Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by wlau
1) I had gotten on and off DL flights using bus and stairs. DL is doing more and more of that as it loses gates. If you do have one of those flights, you need to plan out extra time.
I have flown in and out of Narita 3-4 times a year for 4 years. I've never seen stairs. Ever. When I was last there in June there were plenty of gates in the Delta areas that looked unused. In fact, it looked like NRT was forcing Delta to spread out instead of consolidating to a handful of gates, likely to avoid making one end of the terminal look like a ghost town.

I have always been in the Sky Club within 15 minutes of deplaning, although I'm a fast walker and bob and weaver through the folks clogging the hallways and stairs.

Originally Posted by wlau
2) DL's own HKG to NRT flight (if it still operates) , what I call intra-Asia feeder flights to NRT are all well planned. While they shifted HKG, TPE, SIN takeoff time, they also adjust the NRT departing time. Of the dozens and dozens of times I did this, I never had an issue.
It's been like two years since HKG was eliminated.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: DL GM
I went ahead and booked DL 296 from PVG to NRT on the same day as my NRT-DTW-YYZ flight leaving an hour after scheduled arrival of PVG-NRT. I didn't really want to lose a night in Shanghai just on the off chance it was late and I figured in the event something did happen, I'd be far better taken care of going DL to DL than I would be going MU to DL although the agent on the medallion line said it didn't matter either way.

Will be a bit nervous that day, but they have PVG-NRT scheduled for 3:45 which just seems way off to me. The flight today departed 27 minutes late and still landed 32 minutes early. Of course last Wednesday the flight was delayed out of PVG for over 6 hours, but we'll ignore that one and focus on all the on time and early arrivals around it. If a 6 hour delay out of PVG happens, I don't think it'll have mattered what flight I was on but hopefully DL will help out.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:51 am

Terribly sorry if this is not immediately Delta-related but it seems like the most suitable thread for my question.

Need to get from ROR to NOU next summer. Would redeem UA to do ROR-GUM-NRT (1h20min early morning transfer @ GUM, no worries there to make the connection) and then have 2h40min from scheduled arrival time until scheduled departure of the SB (Air Calin) flight NRT-NOU. Will have check-in luggage.

Apparently both SB and UA operate from T1 @ NRT but one at South Wing, one at North Wing. According to EF, they don't interline, so will need to clear immigration twice, customs once, collect and re-check the bags, go through security once.

I feel like 2h40min should be sufficient to do so, but any tips or considerations to either encourage me this is no problem or stop me from making a mistake would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by svellmann
Terribly sorry if this is not immediately Delta-related but it seems like the most suitable thread for my question.

Need to get from ROR to NOU next summer. Would redeem UA to do ROR-GUM-NRT (1h20min early morning transfer @ GUM, no worries there to make the connection) and then have 2h40min from scheduled arrival time until scheduled departure of the SB (Air Calin) flight NRT-NOU. Will have check-in luggage.

Apparently both SB and UA operate from T1 @ NRT but one at South Wing, one at North Wing. According to EF, they don't interline, so will need to clear immigration twice, customs once, collect and re-check the bags, go through security once.

I feel like 2h40min should be sufficient to do so, but any tips or considerations to either encourage me this is no problem or stop me from making a mistake would be much appreciated.
You could fly Delta into Manila or Saipan then transfer to United. Alternatively, China Airlines (Delta partner through Sky Team) flies into Palau from Taipei.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Hello all -

Question/advise, pls.

I'm arriving in NRT on Friday 10.13 on DL 275 -scheduled arrival at 2:15pm.

I depart on DL 167 at 5:35 headed to SIN.

If we arrive on time (or a bit early) is it unrealistic/unadvisable to leave the airport briefly to visit Naritasan Shinshoji Temple?

Apparently it is 20 minutes away from the airport.

With a 3hr+ layover; assuming 1 hr for roundtrip travel, 45 minutes spent at the temple, that leaves me 1hr 15 min of time to leave & re-clear security.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
Hello all -

Question/advise, pls.

I'm arriving in NRT on Friday 10.13 on DL 275 -scheduled arrival at 2:15pm.

I depart on DL 167 at 5:35 headed to SIN.

If we arrive on time (or a bit early) is it unrealistic/unadvisable to leave the airport briefly to visit Naritasan Shinshoji Temple?

Apparently it is 20 minutes away from the airport.

With a 3hr+ layover; assuming 1 hr for roundtrip travel, 45 minutes spent at the temple, that leaves me 1hr 15 min of time to leave & re-clear security.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Don't forget time to do entry immigration and exit immigration.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tentseller
Don't forget time to do entry immigration and exit immigration.
Plus customs on entry.

I would never do this. There's not enough leeway in case anything happens. Even under best of circimstances I'm not sure this would work.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
go to the SC, grab a shower, hydrate, and maybe spend a few minutes shopping for omiyage in the terminal. Between those two flights, I think you'll be much happier that way.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by angra
go to the SC, grab a shower, hydrate, and maybe spend a few minutes shopping for omiyage in the terminal. Between those two flights, I think you'll be much happier that way.
I appreciate everyone's feedback. Sound advice I'll follow. I'll check out Japan another time.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:07 pm

1st timers connecting flight to NRT

This will be my first time travelling from MNL using PAL and connection flight via Delta airlines NRT , I believe I will arrive via PAL airlines on terminal 2 then the transferring to terminal 1 for DELTA airlines traveling to PDX. could anyone help or give me some guides and tips step by step soon as I arrive at NRT airport.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by seanz23
This will be my first time travelling from MNL using PAL and connection flight via Delta airlines NRT , I believe I will arrive via PAL airlines on terminal 2 then the transferring to terminal 1 for DELTA airlines traveling to PDX. could anyone help or give me some guides and tips step by step soon as I arrive at NRT airport.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! NRT has an airside bus to transfer between terminals -- you do not have to leave the secure area (although you will have to go through a security scan for international connecting passengers)

NRT has a web site for international transfers:

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/connect/inter/

and if you click on "Arrive in Terminal 2" they have a map showing where to catch the bus:

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/con...nter_inter_t2/

I have only done this once myself, and in the opposite direction (T1 to T2). We were picked up at T1 gate 28, made a stop at T1 gate 59, and then were dropped off at T2 gate 70. The above web page suggests you should get on at 70 to go to 28 (which is closest to the DL gates).
seanz23 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:29 pm

Thanks for the Information I'm glad found this flyertalk forum . Do I need to check in on Terminal 1 after the security check I'm not sure if PAL airlines with provide my Delta boarding pass thinking I will only hold E ticket. Please advice still little bit confuse. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by seanz23
Thanks for the Information I'm glad found this flyertalk forum . Do I need to check in on Terminal 1 after the security check I'm not sure if PAL airlines with provide my Delta boarding pass thinking I will only hold E ticket. Please advice still little bit confuse. Thanks in advance.
Delta has a transfer desk in the center of the circular "satellite" area that contains gates 22-25 -- you can get your boarding pass there if you need it.

Is this all on a single ticket? How long do you have between flights and are you checking any bags?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and making sense now , yes I do believe all in one Eticket with 2 different airlines , yes checking in one bag . giving me at least 4hrs wait time.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:26 am

Flying BKK-NRT-JFK with a 55 minute connection time in NRT. (Land at 15:45 on TG676, depart 16:40 on NH10)

I am sure it is doable as NRT is very efficient with security. And there is a decent chance the flight will land early.

Having said that, BKK flights tend to be a little late and there is the occasional bottlenecks at NRT. The past 10 days the TG flight has arrived 20-30 minutes late on average.

Does TG or ANA offer a short connection service? Both flights are in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.