Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As you exit the aircraft and head toward security at NRT, look for signs sending the BKK passengers to a special quick security area. Often this sort of arrangement is set up for especially tight connections.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by WWads
I think he's probably referring to the blind emphasis on OTP, no matter what, even if the plane has to leave with a bunch of empty seats. Leaving on-time is considered to be more important by the DOT than actually ensuring that passengers get to their final destination with as little disruption as possible.
Yes, and it gets reported widely. Our government thinks it's one-size-fits-all on this is better than allowing airlines to use common sense.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by CJKatl
This is not the US where the nanny-state has made it difficult for airlines to use common sense and hold flights a few minutes for connecting passengers. In Asia, if the airline knows that a fifteen minute delay will mean the plane will likely still get to BKK on time and will also allow a dozen or so passengers avoid getting stranded in NRT, the airline can do the right thing and hold the plane.
This has nothing to do with government, the exact same is true domestically as well. The primary difference is that a delay to an NRT intra-Asia departure doesn't have any downstream impact. The intra-Asia flights are all scheduled to have ample time at the spoke, but do not rely on the same crew turning back to NRT on the flight the next morning (thus, no potential crew rest issues). Even in the eastbound direction, it generally is operationally beneficial to the airline to collect everyone possible at NRT - a missed connection at MSP is a lot easier to rectify than one at NRT. These factors tip the scales toward holding flights at NRT much more frequently compared to the rest of the system when the option arises.

Contrast that with a midday ATL-ORD (random example) departure where holding for connecting pax may cause a trickle down delay to 3 later departures for that aircraft and/or crew. They have to weigh the benefit of getting connectors onto ATL-ORD against possibly making ORD-ATL-XYZ connectors on the return flight have issues, then repeat with other flights down the schedule if the aircraft or crew are not able to recover. This is also why you tend to see the airlines much more willing to hold flights in the last bank when there are fewer downstream disruptions and fewer options for recovery.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by WWads
I think he's probably referring to the blind emphasis on OTP, no matter what, even if the plane has to leave with a bunch of empty seats. Leaving on-time is considered to be more important by the DOT than actually ensuring that passengers get to their final destination with as little disruption as possible.
Does the government set arrival and departure times?

Of course this will take us down the path of unrealistic schedules vs excessively padded times, airport congestion due to old airspace technology and/or airlines over-reliance on too many tiny planes, but let's leave that all aside as veering off topic for this thread.

Nanny state. Heh.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:52 am

NRT

Originally Posted by suec1
I booked flights ATL to BKK about a week ago for Nov. - had a 2 hr layover at NRT - now the schedule has changed to 45 minutes! I've never been to this airport and Delta still has these flights (with the 45 min. layover) as the designated flight path. These flights are both Delta flights but really, it is all DL equipment? seems to be from the details I see but a bit surprised at a NRT to BKK flight on Delta plane. So hopefully in NRT the connection will be in close physical proximity? How big of mess am I looking at if I miss my flight - a 24 hour wait til the flight the next day?
You might be OK I F you are in the front of the metal and thus off quickly, AND are SkyPriority to get the shorter line for security.

With that said, I would never book an NRT connection that close.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As you exit the aircraft and head toward security at NRT, look for signs sending the BKK passengers to a special quick security area. Often this sort of arrangement is set up for especially tight connections.
This as well. I don't think it will be an issue, and would expect that you'd get to the BKK gate when they just start boarding. Oh and yes it is all DL metal.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:26 am

I didn't book it

Well Delta more or less booked it - changed flight times on me after I had booked ticket. When I look at website - it will pull up this combo of flights from Atl to Bkk. I would not have booked this combo NOR booked on Delta if it was going to mean a night layover in NRT. The website says I can change flights, I assume, but I assume I cannot say, no thanks, I want a refund and then book on another airline.

Others on the board seem to think I will most likely make the connection. I would assume there will be others on the plane from Atl going to BKK that have the same connection issue.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Well Delta more or less booked it - changed flight times on me after I had booked ticket. When I look at website - it will pull up this combo of flights from Atl to Bkk. I would not have booked this combo NOR booked on Delta if it was going to mean a night layover in NRT. The website says I can change flights, I assume, but I assume I cannot say, no thanks, I want a refund and then book on another airline.

Others on the board seem to think I will most likely make the connection. I would assume there will be others on the plane from Atl going to BKK that have the same connection issue.
Caution, the web site warning message is just auto generated stuff that shows on all schedule changes and means nothing. Trying to use this could make things worse for you.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:41 am

sking for more info please

objection your honor - I can see how the responder wants this merged BUT in this thread I am looking for a little more info - as to what might happen - I don't think that was really touched on in my earlier thread, except to say, I should change my flights or I'll be given another boarding pass. Gosh, I guess I am really clogging up this board!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your flight is late and DL doesn't hold the connection, then you will either get rebooked on another airline if there is any availability that evening, or given hotel accommodations for the night and put on a flight in the morning or the DL flight the next evening depending on what is available.

NRT is quite efficient at rebooking in case of missed connections. If it happens, its likely an agent will be waiting for any pax on the BKK flight with your flight already rebooked, boarding passes, any any necessary accommodations.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: DM/3MM
My JFK-NRT-BKK connection recently got greatly reduced to 65 min. Not too thrilled about it, given the potential for JFK delays plus I was planning on grabbing a quick shower at the NRT club (which can have a wait).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually a lot of times the JFK-NRT flight gets in a little early. I've had numerous times with a 50 min scheduled connection where I arrived with enough time for a quick shower, piece of sushi and glass of cold sake before boarding started.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Actually a lot of times the JFK-NRT flight gets in a little early. I've had numerous times with a 50 min scheduled connection where I arrived with enough time for a quick shower, piece of sushi and glass of cold sake before boarding started.
One would hope it would get in early, given that it leaves JFK at a more "quiet" time. I was on a few NRT delays, but that was when they were running the 747 and there always seemed to be complicating factors.

Last time I was transiting out of NRT back to JFK, there was what they estimated to be a 30 - 60 min wait for a shower, and they had me running back and forth between the clubs with "wait, we think we have one open".
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
objection your honor - I can see how the responder wants this merged BUT in this thread I am looking for a little more info - as to what might happen - I don't think that was really touched on in my earlier thread, except to say, I should change my flights or I'll be given another boarding pass. Gosh, I guess I am really clogging up this board!
You'll be fine, don't worry about it. It's a legal connection so there's nothing you can (or should) do anyway.

You shouldn't create two threads on the same subject. This forum is already too clogged with threads and ones on the exact same subject are rarely merged.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
I'm doing a mileage run to NRT next weekend:

PHL > DTW > NRT > DTW > PHL

Do I need to go thru customs when I land in NRT, or can I go directly to the departure gate?

Will there be a security check if I can stay planeside?

I have a 2.5 hour layover.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.