Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Silver Medallion...what does it get you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Medallion...what does it get you?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by s25843
one quick question... Am I going to get a Silver SM card showing an Expiry of 2/28/07, and then get another card good till 2008? or, am I just not going to see a card until 2007?
Yes, You will get another card for SM till 2008. I think you should answer the question about DL Medallion. Everyone was told me that mean I am being congratulations to me I am became Silver Medallion. When I took on DL flight to/from Israel couple 2 months ago. If you have anything question about skymiles program.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by AtlantaAl
SMS access is HUGE. Premium seating access is HUGE.
I agree. I'd forgotten how nice premium seating is until I was booking a flight recently for my son, who has no status, and realized what he was missing in the way of access. And the bonus miles (even though only 1/4) are useful, also.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:39 am

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
Just in case no one mentioned, another benefit of being Silver (or another other illustrious level) is getting access to preferred seating and Elite Lines for NW & CO. I have taken full advantage of that on both airlines this year.

Of course, no upgrades on the other airlines but I've gotten pretty content with an Exit Row and being one of the first to board.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
DO they still say that? "Next Stop Concourse C?" I know they used to but not sure if they do it anymore.
"Concourse C, C as in Charlie." They were still doing it last week. Concourse D is "D as in David", not "D as in Delta", which always struck me as funny. My favorite is the stentorian "You are now entering the Transportation Hall" on the escalators. I keep thinking it should be followed with "Abandon all hope".

SM status serves mainly to get me into exit rows on DL or NW, and usually into elite security lines, particularly at BNA. I've just earned it again this year and am trying to plot out how I'll make Gold by the end of the year and whether it's worth the trouble.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
You fly 16 RJs and what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.

Take it, Canarsie ...

Tennessee Ernie BamaVol
Old Sep 9, 2006, 3:21 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Well, I hope it's obvious from most of the posts that there is no downside (and a lot of ups) to being silver elite. I have been silver elite on DL for years because of MM status and on CO because of a status match (before SkyTeam). I hit Gold on CO this year because poor planning too often led me to paying high fares. So far, I can say there is little difference between Silver and Gold other than the mileage bonus. I would never go out of my way for Gold, but I would actually do an MR(s) to maintain my silver status. After a year, let us know what you think.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
"Concourse C, C as in Charlie." They were still doing it last week. Concourse D is "D as in David", not "D as in Delta", which always struck me as funny. My favorite is the stentorian "You are now entering the Transportation Hall" on the escalators. I keep thinking it should be followed with "Abandon all hope".
It does actually sound like something from Disney's Haunted Mansion - threatening, but not too frightening.

I always thought it was the Transportation Mall, but my hearing's not what it once was and Hall makes a little more sense.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by card26
another benefit of being Silver (or another other illustrious level) is getting access to preferred seating and Elite Lines for NW & CO.
By "Elite Line" do you mean a separate boarding line at the gate? Because DL Silver doesn't get you into the elite line for security, even on DL.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gilpin
By "Elite Line" do you mean a separate boarding line at the gate? Because DL Silver doesn't get you into the elite line for security, even on DL.
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the check-in lines.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:41 pm

CO has the "Elite Access" lines at the gate, and NW recently started rolling out a similar product. These both let elites board at any time, even if general boarding has already started.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
When I was FO, I used the elite security line at ATL many times (shhh). I just flashed my FO card and the lazy *&%$# sitting on the stool that they hired from Burger King looked at my shiny card and sent me on through. If she can't pronounce "platinum," do you honestly think that she could read it if she saw it?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BamaVol
It does actually sound like something from Disney's Haunted Mansion - threatening, but not too frightening.

I always thought it was the Transportation Mall, but my hearing's not what it once was and Hall makes a little more sense.

Funny thing is my hearing is getting bad as well and I also thought it was "Transportation Mall". Transportation Hall does make more sense. The female voice used on the train now sure beats the Robotic "Cylon" (as in the original Battlestar Galatica) type voice used years ago.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:31 pm

I lost my FO status this year (was 1200 miles short after flying 12k miles in the last 1.5 months of the year). I can assure you that once I requal on US for elite status, I will make sure to get it back on DL. SMS access, upgrade chances (usually good for me out of RDU and CLT), and the 25% bonus lead me to believe it's better to be silver on both US and DL than gold on one of the two.

(Also helps having status on both SkyTeam and *A).

I'm just kicking myself for not doing a quick MR to requal last year....
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
CO has the "Elite Access" lines at the gate, and NW recently started rolling out a similar product. These both let elites board at any time, even if general boarding has already started.
Do I think that I can go boarding second with partner Elite on NW? I will be fly out from PHX-DTW-MEM-TPA for 2 weeks from Friday. I can get mileage runs for me to get more skymiles. Does I can fly on NW and I am already found prefered seated for me on NW. They knew about me that I am Silver Medallion. How I can do let me boarding for Skyteam partner elite?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
What does premium seating mean on DL for SM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.